Register now to get rid of these ads!

R.I.P Bud Crayne

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buflochp, Jul 15, 2011.

1. buflochp

buflochp
    from Minnesota

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Merles Garage, tribute to Henry Gregor Felsen

Attached Files:

• tx.jpg
      tx.jpg
      File size:
      228 KB
      Views:
  3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Allow me to be dim. I recognize Felsen's name, having read his books in HS, but not since. The name Jake Clymer, Bud Crayne, Laverne, et al do not ring any bells with me. Obviously their story is compelling in a perhaps lachrymous way, but because they appear to be real people, may I assume that they were not characters in any of Felsen's novels? Or am I so obtuse and forgetful that I do not recollect the connection. I'd appreciate some enlightenment.

Thank you

dj

4. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

go read them again

5. buflochp

buflochp
    from Minnesota

The writer would be the officer who tried to talk Bud out of making the Trenton run in thirty minutes, and yes, all of the names mentioned were in the book Hotrod, but I am taking this at face value and have no verification that it is genuine. But I believe it because I want to. OK.

buflochp

I had the pleasure of meeting Holly Felsen Welch (Henry's Daughter) at Torque Fest,
    and had a very nice conversation about her dad and his books. Maybe she can shed some light on this.

Thank You/

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  6. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Great piece of nostalgia, however, I still can't believe that so many vintage cars were turned into 'Jalopies'. It even made me sad when it was happening.

7. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr.Felsen and getting an autograph for his collection.I always thought it was fiction.Nice surprise seeing this thread and going thru it.I first read Hot Rod in high school in the 60s,then found the whole collection and met the author.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You forget that they weren't considered "vintage cars" when most of them were made into race cars. Most of them were 25.00 jalopys off the back row of used car lots.

9. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

When I was a young boy in school I checked out the Book "hot rod" in our school libruary....I like it so much that I took it home and never returned it....Got in a little trouble with the teacher and school, But At that time I didn't care the way i seen it The book was mine! this thread blows my mind......I hope it is real....

10. jipp

jipp

im ignorant, what is the author talking about when he mentions people getting killed at the bridge? is there a back story.. not read the book.. so maybe that goes into detail.
    chris.

11. Bud Crane

Bud Crane

Someone mispelled my name! I haven't even been sick.

12. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

LMFAO!!..........this is a really cool story But after making a few calls I am thinking someone has put alot of effort into pulling are legs....

13. buflochp

buflochp
    from Minnesota

Anything is possible in this day and age, but I don't see the motive for making it up.

My thoughts go to, if "Bud Crayne" was a real person, and had surfaced 15 years ago. He would have ranked right up there with John Milner, James Dean and Steve Mcqueen. You guys may be don't get it, But Bud Crayne was the missing link that proves that Hotrods were not excusive to the West Coast. Hotroding was not created in California, but Hotrod magazines were.

Bud Crayne was the hero of young guys in the corn country and prarie states who had that itch to go fast and to be #1 the area.:cool:

buflochp

"OK Toad, we'll take em all."

14. weez

weez

I thought those were fictional characters. I've only read "Hot Rod" and it was a long time ago... Cool stories though!

15. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

We have a Winner!!

16. buflochp

buflochp
    from Minnesota

Just swell, now I will have to go thru life knowing that Bud Crayne was truly fiction, and George W. Bush was'nt. :confused:

buflochp

"Just a little Duece Coupe with a Flathead mill, but she'll walk a Thunderbird like its standing still, she's ported and relieved and she's stroked and bore, she'll do a 140 at the top being floored."

17. try harder on p-shp skills

neat to bring it up to date tho..

18. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Honestly when I first read your story it gave me goose bumps.....As I wanted it to be real....I think you did a great job on your photos and your script....Also though I always thought the charactors to be fiction...I still always wondered, As my copy of Hot Rod says "Shocking True to fact N.Y. Times" on the cover, And my copy was published in 1951. Anyhow thanks for bringing back this story As it has been many years since I read it.....I would day dream in class about being like Bud Crayne and racing my hotrod all over town, And no one could beat me, No matter what...LOL....On another note, Did you build the chopped coupe? If so please post pics....If not Please sell me the 3 window and I will build "buds Coupe" ...LOL

19. Larry T

Larry T

Did the book ever say what Bud Crayne used as a basis to build his car? What engine?
    I've read the book several times and still don't have a clue what it was. Maybe I skipped over that part.
    Larry T

20. buflochp

buflochp
    from Minnesota

Look at Chapter one, page 25.

" The motor had been taken from a wrecked Mercury, rebored, equipted with a three carburator manifold, double spring ignition, reground 3/4 race camshaft, high compression heads, and a score of other refinements and improvements devoted to speed and power." :D

buflochp

21. AHotRod

AHotRod

I read that book so many times in Jr. High I should have memorized it, but that was a looooong time ago.
    Great memories~

22. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

..and to everyone who asks if it's all right to have an early hot rod with a column shift, Bud's coupe had one.

23. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

For a few years after column shifters became standard on production cars in the Forties, they were desirable, as a sign that your car was up to date and as a way to allow your girl to sit closer to you. By the Sixties column shifters were worn and sloppy in old cars and would leave the transmission in first gear when you shifted into second gear. The result was a transmission locked in two gears and you had to stop, open the hood, and wiggle things free with your fingers, getting them greasy, possibly in the rain, at night and stopped on a slope. (Hope the parking brake held!) Very irritating! Floor shift conversions were the solution and became very popular. Floor shifters were necessary for the new four speeds so your conversion made your old car look cool and (once again) updated

24. Henrys daughter Holly is having a show here in Des Moines September 17th at the Val-Air Ballroom. Holly has full rights to her dads books and is in the process of redoing/republishing them. I believe she is also on the H.A.M.B. here from time to time.

25. I read Hot Rod, Street Rod, and Crash Club in the 60's while in Jr. High School. I read Hot Rod again last May on a flight to Seattle. I am beginning to read Boy Gets Car. Just as good reading today as they were nearly 50 years ago.

26. alchemy

alchemy

Bud Crayne is not dead! I talked to him last weekend. He's actually a HAMBer.

27. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Scored an original copy this week. I haven't read it since middle school and cant wait to see what Bud's been up to all these years.

[​IMG]

28. GAB-KC

GAB-KC

The pictures of the radiator shop and church are of buildings in Avondale, Missouri a suburb of North Kansas City, Missouri.

29. Racewriter

Racewriter

That's what I thought. There is a Trenton, Missouri, too (north of KC off I-35), but it would take longer than a half-hour to get there, even for Bud.