Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trunk tool boxes... What do you use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Mac, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Just something I consider a cool detail to a car. I've seen some creative things used for toolboxes that you can take with you. I've seen lots of people use the old coke or pepsi picnic coolers. Cool idea. My dad has a really cool vintage cigar box in the trunk of his '55 with his tools in it. I've got a couple old suitcases I'm going to use (pics attached). I would love to see what else you folks have come up with to use as a toolbox "on the go"? Let's see some pics!

Attached Files:

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I made a dropped floor for my car so I can carry more stuff

Attached Files:

• 733.jpg
      733.jpg
      File size:
      276.4 KB
      Views:
  3. ammo can..... painted and striped

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I use a toolbox.

5. mprice

mprice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Washington

Old Dr's bag.

6. I use old suitcases.

7. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

I have thought about building in some tool storage. My main focus is on the area right by the rear fender in the trunk my caddy. I have even thought about putting in some peg board. I know that is kind of goofy, but I try not to take life too serious.

8. Weird....

9. Hadley

Hadley
    from Indy

Old military roll, came with the car.

[​IMG]

10. Knock on wood!! I have yet to need to use any, hopefully it's because I don't ever carry any.

11. Works Great! Lots of room for everything and looks good:cool:

Attached Files:

12. 5window

5window

I got a old, thin toolbox free at a yard sale that, repainted, just fits in the trunk of my A coupe.

13. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I picked up one of these at a gun show a while back for a couple bucks and use it in my Sedan, It's just right for what I carry.
    [​IMG]

14. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

An old ammo box for small stuff like points, plugs, gasket material etc. The rest of my junk is in an Acme Dynamite box.

15. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

When our Mom FINALLY let us clean out her basement after 30 years we came across this old OD Green canvas bag kind of like a gym bag on steroids. It's made of real heavy waterproof canvas with an industrial grade zipper. My Dad used it for his hunting stuff for years so it's kind of beat up and worn but still good. Just a guess but he was in the CCC out in Washington state during the Depression and I think that's where it came from. One of my sisters was carrrying it out to the dumpster with a disgusted look on her face when I spied it. I snatched it and told her I had the perfect home for it, she gave me that "You're nuts!" look and went back for another load. I loaded it up with some of his old tools which dated back to the 50's and 60's and put it in the trunk of the Stude. My dad was a "scavenger" of the first order, he would be proud LOL.

16. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

Did a search and found this. I'm about to build a new box for the back of my wagon. I carry all sorts of shit. Just wanted to see what others have done. I'm using an old wine crate but its too thin and the little boards are falling apart. Going to get some oak planks from Lowes and make a box and stain in a clear limish green to match my wagon.

17. MRTS33

MRTS33

I have a portable computer bag. For a computer it would be HAMB friendly to. You see its prolly one of the first portable computers ever made. It's about 20"x11"x8" and was made by Compaq. Even has a luggage tag on it.:D

18. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I found an old Holley metal stackable display box and cut it down and bolted it in the back of my pickup to carry tools.......It has real cool logo paint still on it...Littleman

[​IMG]

19. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

That's cool. I collect old service station cabinets. My favorite it a two door benchtop one that has the original lettering " rebuild your fuel pump, it's economical!"

20. I picked up a small Craftsman tool box at a garage sale for 7 bucks and painted it to match the coupe and had Jimmy Crawford lay some lines on it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

I have the same craftsman box that my highschool girlfriend gave me years ago. Been wanting to get it stripped but just aint done it. The wood box I'm making is going to have a designated spot for my toolbox. That way I'll be able to tote away my toold in a box and keep my other shit (oil, jack...) in the car stored away.