Register now to get rid of these ads!

a/c in a hot rod? Can't we all get along?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoxSpeed, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Please do! I LOVE the idea!!

2. [​IMG][​IMG]I have A/C inthis fifty Buick and I like it and don't care if you do or not. It's my car not yours! Rags

3. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

I grew up in Phoenix and all we ever owned were cars without any A/C so its never bothered me and I've never thought about having A/C in any of the old cars I've had. Never even considered it for my current project either. To me, having an old car is mostly about the experience of owning and driving something old, which to me just includes rolling the windows down when its 115+ outside... along with the not so modern braking performance, steering, bumpy suspension yadda yadda yadda. I guess it isn't 'comfortable' when I compare it to driving around in my Flex, but its normal for the car and its what I expect so whatev.

But that's me and how I enjoy old cars/hot rods. A/C is fine and anyone who is bothered by the audacity of you having it in your doesn't have a clue.

There is one thing that does bug me about A/C in most rods though; The vents almost always look out of place. Like a modern head unit stuck into a stock dash. It wasn't there from the factory and it shows. Aesthetics aside though, ain't nothin' wrong with A/C and it isn't a reflection of your lack of manliness.

4. rod rialto

rod rialto
    from rialto, ca

Adding AC and power steering, etc makes driving an old car so much more enjoyable, that you'll drive it more often.

5. Mathius

Mathius

I agree with your choice of a/c, but the comment "lets see your car" that gets thrown around bugs the sh*t out of me, and in a way makes you as bad as him. A lot of people don't have extra money (or in my situation space, since I'm in an apartment) to build their own stuff, but I don't think that makes me any less of a rodder. If I had the space and equipment, I could probably build a rod from scratch since I work with metal for a living.

That's like the saying that people who can't do something become teachers. It's totally disrespectful. Everyone has their own talents and just because you haven't done something doesn't mean you don't understand the process or are less of a person. Hell, you might as well put all the critiques, reviewers, teachers, and professors out of work and give their salaries to the rednecks hanging out watching nascar with that logic.

Friendly competition and ball busting is ok, but society needs to get a LOT less judgmental. And yes, I'm as guilty as everyone else now and then, but I try to at least be aware of it so I can correct it. I have a strong strong prejudice for those cars they call "donks", so I know I am capable of being judgmental as the next guy, but that doesn't make it right.

Mathius

6. oldguy829

oldguy829

"That's like the saying that people who can't do something become teachers. It's totally disrespectful. Everyone has their own talents and just because you haven't done something doesn't mean you don't understand the process or are less of a person."

With all due respect, I have to disagree. There is NOTHING that compares to building your own. With your logic, reading GI Joe comics is the same as BEING a combat vet. BS. Thinking you can do it is not the same as doing it.
    I think you will find, universally, a guy who has built his own (not bought it) will be more respectful of any ones efforts.

We've all heard the crap from the guy who doesn't have one, hasn't built one, but feels entitled to critiques ours, based on what he read in a magazine.

Of course, if you're not him, it won't come up.

7. Mathius

Mathius

Whoa, we are in no way, shape or form, talking about the same thing. First off, gi joe isn't even real combat, so what kinda of comparison is that? It's fictional for a reason.

Do I have more respect for a guy like Chip Foose who gets his hands dirty, than a guy like the dude from "wrecks to riches" who sits in the office and spouts off orders. Absolutely. But it's not necessarily because of ability so much as HUMILITY.

But you're being ignorant in the extreme if you think just because the guy doesn't build means he CAN'T build.

My point was two things...

Just because someone doesn't do something doesn't mean they can't,
    and just because someone can teach and doesn't necessarily do what they're teaching or is physically incapable of doing it, doesn't mean they don't deserve respect.

And if you want to use your military analogy... Yeah, someone who studies REAL military strategy, tactics, equipment, etc. may not be able to jump right into combat and become a hero, but he's damn sure WAY better off than some guy who gets thrown into a war with zero experience.

I don't have to build a hot rod to know that a butt weld is nicer than a lap joint, or a turned flange is nicer than a raw edge, or that orange peel isn't as nice as a smooth paint job.

After 10 years of welding, I don't have to be the one who runs the bead to know whether it's a good bead or not. I can see heat effected zones, undercut, etc.

Mathius

8. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

You're getting carried away with flawed analogies.

The OP said what he said out of sarcasm, and he's not in the wrong for saying it.

9. Mathius

Mathius

That's your opinion. Personally I think the guy being judgmental is just as bad as someone with a superiority complex. Neither one of them walked away from the situation happy, that much was clear.

And I see no flaw in my analogies.

Mathius

10. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.