Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A and flathead installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Funnycarguy, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Funnycarguy

Funnycarguy

Hello everyone,
    I have searched the hamb and can't really find the info required. I want to install a 53 24 stud flathead in a 29 Model A roadster pickup. I really hope I don't have to adjust the firewall but would really appreciate pictures of the engine mounts and cooling fan clearance. I am sure those that have built one of these knows they are tight. All comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I have a 39 ford transmission with a F1 crossmember.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
    Dale
    cell (604) 341-4933

2. 117harv

117harv

3. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

If you search "AV8", about 489 threads will come up... You may want to narrow it down to "projects"... Lots of good build threads... The Bishop/Tardel build book an excellent reference for AV8's also...

4. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

I just went through "redoing" my setup because of fan clearance issues. I moved the motor mts back 5/8" , still wasn't the clearance I wanted so I switched to a 42-48 oiled hub type fan. It gave me another 7/16 of an inch. Picture is before the fan swap, and I'm mocking up with a 4cyl 1930 radiator.
    Motor mounts were set to gain the best position for lower hose connections. This is a pinched 32 frame.

Attached Files:

5. You will need to track down an early style generator with the fan mounted to it with a short fan hub. I used a 39 generator, nothing was cut on my firewall.

Attached Files:

6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

why change ? i have a 4 cyl that kicks butt & runs 65 mph ...........

7. I couldn't agree more. Bangers are a fun.

8. gashog

gashog

I'm running a 52 8BA flatty (decked out like an early engine)/39 three speed bolted to stock Model A torque tube and rear axle. The 32 wishbone defines the placement of the 32 crossmember which locates the engine in the frame with respect to the body. Speedway water pumps with the motor mounts Tardel shows in his book (think I just bought them from him). Zip zero nada interference problems but it is tight at the back and I gave the firewall sheetmetal a few bumps with the butt end of a post hole bar to clear the oil stand.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  9. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

That seems like a real neat setup 'gashog'!

I don't personally have any experience with a Flathead V8 installation into a Model A.

I was thinking however, has anyone tried shortening the fan? It may possibly well interfere with something else, but it seems to me as though it would work...... By literally shortening the fan's base. Hmmmm......

HC.

10. I have a rpu with a Reilly two port. It will out run my stock 39 Ford flathead. I am thinking of an overdrive unit for the Model "A". I like Av8s too.

11. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

You know putting an 8BA in the model A is easy depending on where you start.
    I positioned the cross member first............mock'd the motor in first, then mounted the cross member to get clearance. Since I used a Daggel's X member I had a lot of choices and also because I ran a C4. But with that said if you position the motor where you want it and as close as possible to the firewall.................you will have the room you need.
    In one of the pictures is the modification I did to the firewall so I could make the intake fit and still be able to take the heads off without pulling the motor.

Attached Files:

12. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

gashog,
    Nice work, looks like your following Vern Tardels book to a T. Lots of good info in there. I keep my copy right on the work bench.
    I noticed you replaced the breather upright tube with a curved one. I think I will have issues with my fuel pump. I am running an Offenhauser regular dual setup and the pump stand is clocked a little more to the side which puts the pump outlet facing the firewall. I haven't decided how to addresss it yet.

13. gashog

gashog

Thanks all for the compliments. The 29 is a real blast. Be careful tho as Mike's book says to use a 33/34 wishbone and it's a typo. The later bones are too short and you'll end up with clearance problems at the radiator. Mike's even done a couple posts on how to lengthen 33/34 bones to 32 specs.

Re the curved breather/filler- It's not the HTF original, I just had the guy at the local muffler shop bend up a piece of tube and I cut it to fit. I know the 30/31 firewalls are a little different than the 28/29 but either way there's lots more room if you use the early fuel pump without the sediment bowl like I did instead of the 59A or 8BA pumps.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  14. Funnycarguy

Funnycarguy

Wow guys....thank you so much for all of the great information. I appreciate your time and great pictures. thanks to all future posters to this thread as well.
    Dale