Register now to get rid of these ads!

6V Flathead ballast resistor failure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob Paul, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Ive got a 40 Ford 60HP V-8 in my 31 pickup. Yesterday it died on the street. With a test light I traced it to a bad resistor before the coil. I replaced it with a spare under the seat and made it a few blocks. Then that one failed too!! Both were non ceramic style. I wired + wire direct to the coil just to make it home, and it runs great.

Is there any NAPA or other local part that would work? Im worried Ill cook the points if I run it without.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Is the coil stock Ford '37 type or something else??
    NAPA Echlin replacement is ICR 40, listed as .35 ohm resistance. Standard # is FD-220
    Worry about coil, wiring, points here...normal resistor life expectancy is probably longer than ours.

3. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Sorry its a newer style 6 volt canister type coil. Also the distributor is a 1946.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

OK, what is source and number of coil?? Resistor needed depends on coil...best to attach things to an OEM application or a specific catalog so resistor need can be found.
    Many 6V coils like A-B, '49 Ford run on straight 6V.

5. Stock Model A 6 volt system shouldn't have a ballast resistor
    [​IMG]

6. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

It's a flatheadv8 Ron. I know you know your electrical systems as you have taught me a few things.

Assuming your using a 6 volt system right?

Some new coils are made for electric ignitions. Low resistance 0.6 ohm coils. So as Bruce said find out what you have.

7. I realize it was a V8 but I was just showing the 6 volt system. We have used as low as .6 ohm coils with points on a 6 volt system with no problems. Remember when you use a resistor in a 12v system you are trying to get down to 6-8 volts, you're already there with a 6 volt car.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  8. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I didn't see that he posted that is was a 6-volt car anywhere. 6-volt coil yes. No offense suggested Ron. Maybe he has a 12v car with a resister for the 6v coil that is burning out?

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Title..."6V Flathead ballast resistor failure "
    Is flathead distributor but not coil...so quite possible resistor is wrong or unnecessary

10. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Its an older coil and has no markings on it. Im just gonna run it with 6 volts going to it and see what happens.

Thanks for the help

Rob

11. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

GMC Bubba's coil test. Doesn't test if the coil is good when its hot but a great way to see what the coil is.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457307

You should have a resistor right? Model A coils don't need them but newer ones (to my understanding) do? Correct?

1940 passenger car.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  12. George/Maine

George/Maine

That coil doen,t need a resister,with a 1.5 omn in line draws 3 amps x 1.5 and drops 4.5 volts cross it and burns 12 volt draw less amps.I think Ford is the only one that uses a resister with 6 volt system up to 48 then 49 no resister.

13. None taken - except it's DON

14. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Ha ha sorry Don, some how I hybrid'ed rod/don. I'm working and in between computer renders I'm hamb'in. I guess I need to leave my multitasking to 3 things at one time.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Aha! A revelation! 8V battery equals lots of electrical replacements. Voltage regulator has to be teased to run one of those, so working voltage is higher than 8...

17. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Good one. So the best/easiest fix would be a 6 volt battery instead of the 8v right.

I'm still not clear on the ballast resistors though. Most posted here have said you don't need a resistor/ballast for 6 volt coils. So why are there factory underdash ballest from ford in the 30's? Does the ballast act like a voltage conditioner? Does it reduce voltage/ohms?

Please humor me, I would like to learn.

18. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I got rid of the 8 volt battery when I got the truck. It was shot from sitting for 7 years. It has a 6 volt battery.

Rob

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

On a 12 volt system...

The resistor is there to drop the 12 volts (actually more like 13.8 volts) from the cars electical system down to 6-ish volts for the coil. Don't panic, almost all cars are set up this way. Here's why:

(Very generalized discription follows. Your mileage may vary!) When you try to start the car, and while the starter motor is cranking the engine, the current drain on the battery is so high that the electrical system voltage drops (Every noticed how the lights sometimes flicker if you try to start the car at night with the lights on?) by as much as half. So we install a 6 volt coil in the hope that it will be able to produce enough of a spark to start the engine while it's beeing cranked. But, after the engine starts and the alternator goes to work recharging the battery, the system voltage comes back up to 13.8 volts. So, as soon as you release the key switch from the start position, that resistor is switched into the coil primary circuit to reduce the voltage to 6 volts, and the coil is happy

20. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Better help me out here , my math just went tilt ! A .06 resistor would have the potential ( using ohms law) to draw 100 amps !!! A .60 ( little larger than 1/2 ohm) would draw 10 amps.
    The Model A contacts wouldnt handle either for long. Did you actually mean to say .06 ????

21. Hoop-in-JAX

Hoop-in-JAX

Bubba,

You are a brave (and generous) guy for wading into this thread.

[​IMG]

Liz Johnson likes this.
  22. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

If you connect it direct to the coil you run the risk of burning your points out depending on the coil.

Being that the previous owner had a 8v battery in it, he may also have had the knowledge to have upped the generator output level to charge it. You might be charging at 8-9 volts. I'd say he had it there for a reason.

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15305&highlight=ballast

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  23. George/Maine

George/Maine

I don,t think it was a Ford resister 6 or 8 volts wouldn,t burn it out. The .5 ohms can easyly handle 3 amps.If some used a resister with a lower power WATT rating it would burn out.
    The Ford resister my guees would be a rating of 5 watts.
    Any way no resister is needed on 6 volt coil other then Fords before 1949.

24. Sorry Jim, Total Brain Fart - Yes .6 OHM coil, not .06. That'll teach me to answer stuff on here in the middle of writing an exhaust technical article for a new book.

25. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

WOW ! THIS HAS BECOME THE GOOD , THE BAD AND THE UGLY OF ALL IGNITION THREADS !!!!..

Let address the orginal problem , i think thats what the poster wanted ....

Heres what we know . its a flathead using the old style distributor with remote coil and a six volt battery.

Heres what the factory bullitens say from April 1938:

The normal resistance of the ford V8 primary circuit is 1.00 to 1.35 ohms. If the resistance of the primary is less than normal , then more current will pass thru the primary and shorten the life of the breaker points.

So if we know what the resistance spec is actually then we can calculate the actual amps needed for proper spark.
    1.35 ohms divided into 6 volts = 4.4 amps or the spec current for this system.
    This 1.35 could be a .35 resistor and a 1.0 ohm coil or any combo of the two. IE= No resistor would just need a coil of 1.35 ( i would suggest a 1.5 to lower contact current)
    If a resistor is used it would need to be watts=volts x amps so 6 volts x 5 amps would = 30 watts.....

Ok now that we have the numbers correct ( whew that took a few of us)
    Lets fix this car.........

Get a oil filled coil of 1.5 ohms etc hook it up direct and start the engine and drive it !!!!!! No resistor needed !!!!!!!!!

26. Hoop-in-JAX

Hoop-in-JAX

"Get a oil filled coil of 1.5 ohms etc hook it up direct and start the engine and drive it !!!!!!"

"Oil-filled?"

Bubba slipped a little wisdom in there. Some of the special rebuilt coils are not oil-filled and may not take the heat and abuse of the originals. Doing the math wrong can be expensive ... er, explosive.

He also did not tell you another one of his secrets ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011