Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Ford Custome Coupe Build..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msalamanca, Jun 15, 2011.

1. msalamanca

msalamanca

Hello guys, I am pretty new here, have asked some redundant questions and am trying to take everything in. Thanks everyone for the wealth of knowledge here.
    So on May 28, 2011 I brought home a car I have wanted since I was 16, 14 yrs later its finally mine.
    I am taking it by sections, its going to be a daily driver. It came with Fatman Lowering uprights and arms, R &P and disk breaks, still in the box, no Engine, a stock tranny w/OD. Well i will stop blabbing.....

Attached Files:

2. msalamanca

msalamanca

The Pups couldnt resist

Attached Files:

3. Looks great, love them coupes.

4. msalamanca

msalamanca

First I took a good look at everything, making a list of action. First was to gut the inside, I was going to leave the headliner for now, as I am not sure if I will chop it in the future, but while cleaning I heard lots of "crap" being vacuumed up as I was shop vacuuming through the couple holes in the HL, then bam a dead mouse. The car was infested with them at one time, and the what I though was water stains turned out to urine, there was crap everywhere, also underside of dash. the rust in most places was from them. So I really gutted everything.
    Started scraping the floors and wire brushed pretty much everything on the inside once I tore everything out. I didnt want to go to bare metal, I have done it before with my other cars, and wasted so much time over nothin. I am really fighting being a perfectionist, I would rather drive the car and have fun asap.

Just received my Rebel loom on Monday (I would rather not deal with the old wiring harness, its was dried and cracked), super nice guy and gave me a bunch of tips, I would order from him again when if needed.
    Called Chris at shoeboxford.com, he is awesome btw, ordered my new rockers, all the firewall, floor and misc rubber grommets, firewall pad, wire mesh for dash and a few other things today.

I am waiting for pics to upload from my camera, the converter on my laptop is being slow.

Attached Files:

5. msalamanca

msalamanca

Thanks man, haha it looks like you have my other dream car. One day...

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. msalamanca

msalamanca

Sorry, been super busy with things I will try and upload pics tonight. I have received a new wire harness from Rebel, replacement rockers, all fire wall grommets, firewall replacement mat, all floor plugs, all new steering (besides box, have to send mine to Chris at shoeboxford.com), all new shocks around, dash parts that needed replacing, all new front suspension (besides stock coils, so far).

What I have done is: Surface prep, prime and paint outside firewall, and all front frame also 95% of interior (dash and window trim will be painted in 2 weeks, waiting on a few things), Fatman drop spindles and drop arms installed w/all new grommets, front suspension is in, and ECI disc brake brackets.

In the works: Disc Brakes (waiting for spacers), body work (door is straight now, so is back decklid most of the rear finder). I will have most of the exterior in selfetch and high fill primer tomorrow.

I need to buy a welder so I can install the new rockers, close up some body gaps and rear finder bead, as well as 4 small cancer spots, also have to fab and install front of the rear quarter panels / doorframes.

I was kinda spinning my wheels waiting for a few things, so didnt get much done. Didnt want to have partial projects all over the car. Also I encountered a few cost and things I wasnt expecting with the car (which happens) so trying to not get over whelmed.
    All in all its been 35 days since I got it.

8. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Bein' as how your pups are in on this from 'ground level' so to speak, you should train them to just look at anyone else who thinks/says they're ridin' shotgun and snarl politely! Figure they've got a ticket to ride!

9. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

What motor you gonna run?

10. I subscribe to your attitude re; perfectionism. Nice car, gonna watch this one..

11. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I really like those cars...wouldn't mind having one myself.

12. msalamanca

msalamanca

Ok so I didnt get all the work done I wanted to yesterday, woke up late. My sister in laws fuel pump went out on her chevy truck. The strap bolts couldnt be removed (the underside had more rust then my 51) So anyways I was up tell 2am Wed fixing her car (i hate last minute stuff). I am going to be uploading pics right now.

13. msalamanca

msalamanca

I gutted it, these are pics of floor and dash

Attached Files:

14. Nice, can't wait to see how this comes out.

15. msalamanca

msalamanca

Some More

Attached Files:

16. worn shoes

worn shoes

congrats on your dream car! Looks like you have a nice starting point for your build.

17. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Boy, that's a nice coupe. Looks about 100 percent more straight than my '49 is.

Good luck with it. And yeah, I share your attitude on perfectionism. I, too, would like to actually drive my '49 someday.

18. msalamanca

msalamanca

Some more.
    I havent taking pics of the inside painted yet, I thought I did.
    have some of them in primer.

The inside, I wirebrushed, scraped, and sanded. Treated the rust with oxidizer, then sprayed.
    Same with Fire wall.
    As stated I am not looking for a show stopper (I dont have the time, money or want to. My next project will be), so I didnt repair any small dents and dings at this point, plus over all those areas are in great shape.

I started on the body, it had some waves and dents, and spot weld waves.
    Started shaving the back top of the finder beads.

Attached Files:

19. msalamanca

msalamanca

Some of the pics are scattered. I will take Full Update pics this weekend.

I hammer, dollied, skim coated and long blocked the Pass door, rear finder, Deck Lid and under the back window.
    Got a I took the drivers side down to metal, the front of the driver door has a 1/4 lead, and is pretty bad. So that should be fun. The rear apron is not so great either. I use body filler, to smooth out as whats called skimming, I hate when people use it to hid bad repair jobs.

Attached Files:

20. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

21. msalamanca

msalamanca

Couple more.

Attached Files:

22. msalamanca

msalamanca

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Cant wait for Sunday to come. I will have more then a Half day to work on it.

23. msalamanca

msalamanca

haha, that is a great idea.

24. msalamanca

msalamanca

I was going to run a flatty, but decided on a 302/C4 until i can save up for a rebuilt flatty.

25. msalamanca

msalamanca

I have the weekend off, hoping to get allot done.
    I get off work at 530 and I am heading home to start. Been looking at different build threads here, and well now my wheels are turning.
    Thinking about shaving handles and locks. badges, nose and deck it.

26. unibody

unibody

I love these cars.

27. msalamanca

msalamanca

40 Days into it.

Some of the work I did over the weekend. I also started in on pass fender, it looked to be in good shape, I decided to see the body lines compared to the door, and the Fender is pretty out of shape. The rear or the rear 1/4 panel is way over stretched, Started shrinking it, almost beat the crap out of it so I had to walk away. Its going to take major patience to save it. Front of driver door is in 1 half an inch. So its going to be takin off this week for the repairs. also at same time I am going to redo the hinges.

All in all I got the doors shaved, the rear badge holes/rust on the decklid is gone and smooth. I did 4 out of the hand full of cancer repairs. almost all body work is done. Self etched primer, and filler primer is sprayed.
    I know i did more.
    I am doing it all on my own so its hard to pull camera out when I am in work mode.
    The car is in my drive way, so Sat I got most of the work done. Some family members came over, since I am in the drive way, they think its time to hang out and let their kids run around. How do you tell family to leave you alone and stop asking for things? anyways.

I cant decide on frenching the head and tail lights. I would like to keep the chrome spears on tail lights. Not sure so that will be last to decide.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend to get some work done.

Attached Files:

28. msalamanca

msalamanca

Ok so the apron has been bugging me. I lost some sleep over it last night, so this am before work I got out there and started in. THis is what I found. It was hit before, not a bad one, but just enough for someone to do a hack job and stick a 2x2 in there.
    Just ordered the shrinking disk today to finish that rear 1/4 panel, and whatever else I need it for. Hopefully I dont go crazy and go back over all the body work already done haha

29. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Looks good

Grommet

30. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yep,it looks good and the floors looks like solid too.Working with the rockers is a lot faster than it is with the whole floor..
    Keep it up!