Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick Transmission help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuceswild557, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Deuceswild557

Deuceswild557

Anybody know what the $damage is to have a transmission rebuilt on a 56' Buick?
    Mine stopped working all of a sudden and It now leaks all the trannie fluid out. Crapped out on me when I was getting off the highway. Any tips/help pricing or referrals to a place in California or anything of that sort would help a lot. Im considering taking it out if the car myself, getting it rebuilt, and slapping it back on to save money.
    Thanks HAMBers

56' Buick Special 40 series. 2 Dr 322 Nailhead v8 Automatic with Dynaflow transmission. No power steering

2. D-Day

D-Day
    from NW Ohio

Might not be too bad to do it yourself. Only takes time, attention to detail, and some effort. And a shop manual. If you do decide to go this route, here would be your best choice to get a rebuild kit from: http://www.autotran.us/dfkits1.html

3. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

go for it! you know the motor will never die!

4. Deuceswild557

Deuceswild557

Thanks for the response gentlemen,
    anybody else have any insight??

5. belair

belair

Mine's a stick, so I'm no help. WHY didn't Buicks get the Hydramatic!!

6. 73RR

73RR

7. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

I would say fairly expensive. I called around about having my dynaflow rebuilt and got 2 quotes close to $2,000. I just bought an external seal kit. It works fine, just leaked. It is a project to remove. I pulled mine while the motor is out. If not you have to drop the rearend out to get the torque tube to disengage. Good luck.

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Check this website:

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/cat360/36004.pdf

They have decent prices on full overhaul kits. If you are just going to seal it up without taking it all apart you are wasting your time. Overhaul the whole thing. The only parts you may not need to have replaced are the brake bands. But I have heard that the supports for the brake bands are weak on these transmissions. So you might want to replace them too. Fatsco can probably help you in that area.