Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tatra 603 Hemi V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jun 15, 2010.

1. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

2. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

Bob Ash Road Tests the 1965 Tatra 603

"Well, I have to say that it was kind of extraordinary afternoon. A week after picking up my new '68 Coronet in the port of Bremerhaven, Germany, I finally got to the old part of airport, where I have the car stored, to fix a few things up and see how it drives. That alone, coupled with the fact that the beast drove much better than I expected from such a piece of junk, would be enough to make it one of the better days in my life. But there was more to come.
    As if the first-drive-ever in my Mopar wasn't enough, I ran into a friend in a bar the night before. Nothing unusual, I have some friends and live in a small city with only a few bars. But, unfortunately, not all of my friends have such a great taste in automobiles and even less of them have means to transform it into reality. But Marek is one of them and he and his father have a really nice collection of old European cars. Including a beautifully restored Tatra 603. So, with the latest Tatra-craze on Jalopnik in mind, I saw an opportunity and asked him to come see me and my new toy on the airport next day. And as you see from pictures, he agreed.
    I think that for me, as a driver, it was even more interesting experience than a first drive in my Coronet. However it may seem strange, even though I am a Czech, I have driven a few Mopar B-bodies before, but to that day, I have never driven, nor sat in, a 603. I have driven one of the last 613s with 4.36 engine, but never tried anything older. So this was a big day for me, twice.
    The car that was going to take me on my maiden voyage to the world of weird and eerie ass-engined limousines, was a 1965 Tatra 603, in typical commie big shot/secret police black paint job, but with the red interior and kind of hot-rod-esque red wheels. If there are some Tatra cognoscenti among you, you may point out that the car on the pictures does not look like a 603-2, which would be appropriate to the model year, but is more similar to the later 603-3. The reason is in the way they were maintained and rebuilt. Unlike the usual working-man's Skodas, constantly patched by their owners to keep them alive as long as possible, these big black beasts that served „the more equal ones" and their dogs were just sent to factory for an overhaul after some time. So when this car went through it's reincarnation in the beginning of the 70s, it became something more akin to then-modern 603-3 than the 603-2 that it was born as.
    I'm not going to waste space by talking about outlandish appearance of this car - that's what pictures are for, and besides I can't quite grasp how strange this car must look for someone not used to seeing that (though rarely) for entire life. And parked besides the Coronet it even doesn't look as big as it does on average Czech street.
    But we are here not just to stare at the peculiar shape of the car and discuss whether it looks more like a Tucker or a V8 VW. You can do that in museum. We are here to drive. First, Marek takes us for a quick ride around the place (a old, unused part of military airbase, with hangars turned into warehouses), and then I'll get a chance to drive it myself. When you get in, you feel much like in average American car of the era. High, upright bench seat for three in front (not many European cars seated six people), the overall style of the thing... even the V8 rumble resembles American cars, but with some influence of its air-cooled cousins from Wolfsburg and Stuttgart. But when it comes to driving experience, it's very different - and I think it's very different from anything but other Tatras. What strikes you first is how different the ways of technical development were. In US car of same era (I consider 603 a fifties car, even though it was produced also in next two decades) you get everything to make you more comfortable - power windows, power steering and several other toys, but it was common to have non-power brakes and hardly any car had more than three speed gearbox. But this thing is more like an oversized Porsche. The steering is manual and the wheel is a bit heavy, but thanks to light front it's not that big issue and it's weight and feel maybe even helps to protect you from the effect of oversteer. In fact, it didn't feel vicious at all, even when taking turns a bit harder (but I didn't have a chance to drive it on public road - and I was trying not to scare the owner) and for such an old car it handled really nicely. But the real surprise was braking. Granted, this car got power disc brakes in all four corners when it was overhauled, so I don't know how the original model behaved, but the experience of driving an old car with manual steering, but braking performance as good as average new car is still strange.
    And when we're speaking about comparison with new car, this beast can surprise even with it's speed. One would say that 2.5 liter, 100hp V8 in such a big car would make for some lazy driving, but that's when you don't take weight and aerodynamics into consideration. Though 603 is roughly the size of an S-klasse Merc, it's only a bit heavier than current model VW Jetta. And when you add some slippery shape and four-speed manual, you'll get some pretty funny looks of drivers overtaken by this black whale, doing nearly 100mph. And, according to its master, this car is even quite good for (European) highway cruising and is able to do more than 110mph.
    Only real downside is the gearbox with column mounted shifter. It's beautifully light and delicate, but it lacks accuracy and when you're not careful enough, you can easily break it. And as Marek says, adjusting the mechanism behind it is really a royal pain.
    Which is where we come to the greatest nightmare of everyone who thinks about getting a Tatra. The maintenance. As I learned from Marek, my fears from unobtainium-made parts were unnecessary. He told me that you can still get just about everything for these cars, although it probably means knowing where to go and what to ask for. And being in Czech Republic and able to speak our language is certainly a bit of advantage...
    Either way, this close encounter further cemented my decision that one day, I must get one of these fantastic creatures. The sound, the driving experience, the history of the car, all its charisma makes the urge to get one real, real hard. And the best of them all would be the orange, racing spec Marathon version. Or at least clone..."

3. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

4. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

"May your balls turn square & rot at the corners!"- Pauly da mick

:confused:Don't they all...eventually? I mean, after dropping down about 6 ins. Hell, that's why most OLD gents put stout rubber bands at the very bottom of each trouser leg...to prevent their 'nads from dragging the floor!:D

5. Wonder if Tatra sells "crate" engines . . .

Steve

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

All joking and snide (er, uh, I mean all joking aside!:D), did Ferdie Porsche ever have any ideas of his own? We have the Tatra connection, and Porsche also visited and consulted closely with American Paul Lewis in '36 or '37, then the Beetle just happens?:rolleyes: Too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence. Grumble, grumble.

7. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Jimi, why did you bring up this year old thread ? After reading all the posts and the links, I`m pissed !..Now I have to get me one..damn you.........

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey, man, HONEST!:rolleyes: It wudn't me!:p It wuz Zuzulo & PaulydaMick!:D Yeah, da's right!:cool:

9. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

10. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

More than a few hardy and well-served lads 'ave questioned my sanity in expending positive emotion for these sleds...Tatra 603's. They 'ave asked, "Did you take to these contrivances before or after one flew over your coo coo nest?" Well, I don't rightly know!, but(t) I do recall the sap rising after I viewed the movie, "...A Series Of Unfortunate Events.": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQa1t9PoJjs
    Originally I believed the "movie car" to be computer generated. A part of the underlying sinister, weird, theme of the story line.

Well, one thing, etc. and: http://www.vintageracerules.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1514#top
    AND
    http://www.vintageracerules.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1514&page=2

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  11. George

George

He did design a Tank Destroyer in WWII, but the Genious forgot to include defensive armament!:eek:

12. MikeyFIN

MikeyFIN

Then somebody put something in Zoras Coffee.... otherwise it wouldn.t been the mess Tatra was..I've seen 2 of those live... none impress me.

They are just good as coffee tables but thenagain so is my Crower stack too with a SBC under it...on the other hand I'll get that Crower working for my Donovan SBC...

13. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

It WILL be grand! Just take care, when "Finished", not to wrap it around one of those "Finish" trees. Worth the price of a pious pilgrimage to venture there to see!
    zuzulo56

14. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

UNLIKE your avatar/thumbnail, which gives the appearance of being quite able to sustain a hit from an "88" artillery shell.:D

15. George

George

Actually they had an 88, they had to worry about Russian 76 & 152s!:)

16. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

17. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

DITTO! those look so rad!

18. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

19. :confused: It isn´t my car, nor do I know, or have any association with the owners.

20. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

FORD MOTOR CAR CO. tests TATRA 603 Engine:

Ford Motor Car Company recently opened the doors of their archives a bit wider, allowing the revelation of their having, in a subset engineering shop, allowed one of their Line Tech.'s to reverse-engineer a Tatra 603 engine. After the process of redaction, we are left with this meager tidbit. I'm intrigued by the vertically-split trans-axle (ala VW/Porche), as well as the means of exhaust routing, which, on the face of it, provides scant room for tuning...unless ya rework the sheet-metal...sealed port holes?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLH9ZpS8nKo

21. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

I've recently learned, via telephonic intercourse with a Czech gent, that when the occasion proves necessary *, the Tatra Company stages a Europe-wide (both East & West block) beauty pageant to find one-or-more "Tatra Girls"...holding public festivals, as well as accepting photo mail-ins. He was kind enough, after a good deal of my prodding, to forward some of the latest published entrants. (MORE TO COME...hopefully additional video!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8aIy90fwGA
    * "Blondie", the T-girl we all know...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT3viZFg0_w... & (would like to) love (So we wish!) is with child and her husband has prevailed upon her good sense to, at least temporarily, abdicate her throne...as it were. May God bless the three of them, and Many Years!

22. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

23. Kustombart

Kustombart

Hi all, I have been listening in on the HAMB for some time. I have owned a Tatra 603 from 1969 for 4 years now. I drove it for one summer (among other things visiting the Hotrod Hayride 2008, a 600 mile round trip) when I decided to go for an elaborate mechanical overhaul. It is a really comfortable machine to drive long distance, with great seats, lotsa legroom and a cruising speed of 65mph at an average 21 mpg.

The last three years, I have been searching for parts and among other things, I overhauled the gearbox, clutch, brakes, suspension balljoints and most of the electrics. Today was a great day because I got to start it for the first time in 3 years.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a short film I shot today:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF08sqRBZwE&feature=youtu.be" target="_blank"

On the engine: It IS a true hemi and maybe Chrysler's marketing division has the monopoly on the HEMI name, hemispherical combustion chambers are certainly not unique to Chrysler engines or indeed to US-made engines.

The truly revolutionary Tatra's started with the aerodynamically advanced T77's in the 1930's. These had an alloy 3.5litre V8 with two overhead camshafts. Dr. Porsche DID steal several patented innovations from Hans Ledwinka, Tatra's chief engineer. Tatra sued and won. Dr Porsche was closely connected to a mr Hitler whose reaction was to invade Czechoslawakia.

Hans Ledwinka was a brilliant engineer but after the war he was unjustly accused of collaborating with the nazis and was locked up by his own fellow countrymen. Sadly, he died a poor man, his great contribution to automotive innovations unrecognised by the world.

The 603 design dates from 1955 and has nothing to do with Hans Ledwinka. It only resembles the prewar Tatra's in layout and attention to aerodynamics. The 603's engine was designed by Julius Mackerle. Work started in 1948 and the engine was used for the T805 light truck. It was then adapted for use in a road car by fitting it to a single seater racer called T607. Tatra engineer Jiri Klos changed the cam profile, compression ratio, carbs, and airflow to raise output from 75 hp to 100 for the road cars and 200bhp @7500 rpm in race trim. Not bad for a naturally aspirated 2,5 litre engine at that time.

The engine is oversquare, all alloy except for the cilinder barrels, has 90 degrees between cilinder banks and yes, hemispherical cilinder heads with central spark plugs. The valves are operated by pushrods following a camshaft in the middle of the V and the engine has a cross-plane crank. This was before 1950, when no production engine in the world combined all these features. AND it's aircooled.

Two axial scavenge fans draw cooling air past the carburettors and high rise intake manifold, through a pressed steel shrouding, leading it past the cilinders, through the belt driven fans and out through a thermostatic flap in the rear of the engine compartment. There are two oil coolers on both sides of the engine.

There are four individual cilinder heads on each bank, with no head gaskets. The seal relies on a finely machined true mating surface. As with any unusual engine, it has specific details you have to pay attention to when overhauling/repairing. Other than that, this engine has proven to be reliable for daily use and long distance travel. It will happily cruise at 65mph and when you put the pedal down, it will overtake briskly and even touch 100mph.

The Czech firm of Ecorra has built a rally replica 603 with 200hp, using a set of 6 or 8 Dellorto carbs, depending on the venue of the race. It also produced a replica of the 607 single seater racer with a fully tuned 603 engine of 400hp.

All in all, the design and engineering on these cars is on a par with any contemporary car firm and way ahead of it's communist comrades.

My plans for the car are to install airride and do some mild customising. I have already shaved some trim, flaked the roof, and fitted rear fenderskirts and baby moon hubcaps (the bolt pattern on the wheels is the same as old VW so there is a wide choice of wheels available). Check out the progress on my blog: http://kustombart.blogspot.com/ and more pics on my website www.kustombart.com.

Cheers, Bart

24. Hot Rod Grampa

Hot Rod Grampa

Awesome thread and tons of cool information. Having been born in the Czech Republic I was surprised to find Tatra on the Hamb. It is a cool car and has a very rich heritage. Many of the "quirky" cars recieved a bad reputation because you could not work on them with an adjustable monkeywrench and a BFH. Those engines were closer to aircraft engines in complexity, and needed the same kind of attention to detail. Corvair, another air cooled unit, is also much like a plane motor. Alloys instead of cast iron, pushrod tubes with o rings etc. Would love to have a Tatra here.

25. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Here's another. 2.9 Liter air-cooled V8. This is a 1941

Attached Files:

26. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

27. zuzulo56

zuzulo56
    from L.A.

28. Kustombart

Kustombart

29. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I was at a Studebaker show yesterday in Laughlin, NV when this pulled in. Was trying to explain to my son and wanted to get more facts on it so I did a Google search and it came up with this thread. Really wierd sounding engine .....

Attached Files: