Register now to get rid of these ads!

My car got hit at a local show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jul 14, 2011.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Took my 55 sunliner to a local big cruise in a couple weeks ago and last night noticed some chrome damaged,the eyebrow on the headlight bezel and the side of the rear bumper were damaged. I am glad it did not hit the body as it can easily be repaired but I wish who ever done it has left a note,I have the part for the head light bezel but the rear bumper will need to be replated and need to look over the front bumper. I think I know who done it as there was this old guy showing off his restored tractor and his truck and trailer were parked about 50 feet from me,my theory is he came up in the grassy area and around my car and hit the ends of my car with his trailer so the next time I see it I will have to look at his trailer since it left some paint on my bumper. I am glad I dont have to do any sheetmetal repair and is not really that bad but will talk to the club who puts on the cruise in and see if I can get them to have the people with trailers not to park in with the cars.

2. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

jeff i am glad also that no one really did any hard damage

i agree that the lazy shits should have made contact but these young kids now adays dont have the proper edicate to do something like that,

i started reading the thread and thought it was your little red truck, but still its the fact of LAZINESS.......

sorry to hear bout your luck, but at least its only a small piece of chrome

3. That sucks. But if it was done by a truck and trailer, there's a good chance the guy might not have a clue he did anything?

4. Just read your post again. Why are there people with trailers at a car show????

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was told you really cant feel much when you hit something with a trailer but trailers do not belong in with the cars,I think he might have been there before most of the cars had arrived but if he had been there before he should of known better. I am glad I did not drive the 37 as the trailer would have tore up the fiberglass fenders.

6. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

That was bad luck. My Mum has a little car that is now a classic and even though it has a plastic grille i've had quotes $500-00AU to replace just the grille all because some one did not look when they reversed.

More than likely he never knew he hit you and given he is most likely an enthusiast with a different interest I am sure he would be sorry he hit another enthusiasts vehicle. We see more of these mixed events we are going to see more trailers with all sorts of special interest things on them.

I even see Semi Trucks (Tractor Trailer) type vehicles here on historic registration.

Sounds like the organisers of the event should have made sure he had a place to park the vehicle away from those on show. Still it does not help you fix the damage.

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If the front bumper is damaged too I think I will get my insurance company to pay for them and I will take care of the head light bezel eyebrow. If I do that i will try to come up with another set of bumpers to get plated and stash them under the bed until I paint it.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It did not get the front bumper so I will eat this one and glad it was not worse,this is going to make me not want to get out of view of any car I take to shows.

9. I agree they were most likely "lazy shits", but somehow you know that some "young kids" did it?

Really?

This IPhone app is the schiznizzle!

10. jipp

jipp

i know when i park in the grocery store even with my bad leg i always park way way in the back.. nope not driving a classic, or anything but i just do not care to have my stuff beat up on by strangers and some of these put new meaning to door dings.. and they look at you like they did nothing wrong.. shrugs... trailer at a car show, interesting.. my guess he did not even know.. but, guess time will tell. id let the club know.. not the right answer, but its only one i can think of. can you get car show insurance? i know my insurance trys to rape me for a regular car hate to see the premiums on a show car.
    chris.

11. Re-read the original post. He suspects it was some old fart, not a young kid. Laziness and lack of taking responsibility is not limited to the younger age group; the older generations are just as bad.

12. NVR2ND

NVR2ND

I hate to hear about your car! BTW DAVE, as a young rodder, I can tell you I know a bunch of old farts that dont have the proper edicate either....:eek:

13. bummer.

sorry to hear it and too bad just anyone can go out and buy or build a trailer. kinda the same way with vehicles too. :rolleyes:

dont let that ruin your opinion of some of the rest of us who can and know how to move a trailer. :)
    ill turn a 40footer around in a grocery store corner lot and not hit a single curb. some of us can smooth anything through some of the smallest areas, while staying away from other peoples treasures.:D its tuff to "feel" things you hit (initially), unless your paying attention. if attentive enough most "disasters" are easily avoided. i did kill a toyota and scared the living bejeebus outta some jehova witnesses in utah one time, but they were trying to make a fast right turn in the shoulder before i swung around doing mine from the right turn lane. they said i didnt have my signal on but the whole town seen it happen. first "scrape" i didnt feel and since they was "sneakin" into my blind spot the trailer wasnt stopped till it tore off the drivers side door (which i did feel hehe)

glad it seems like a somewhat easy fix, and maybe if its the old man, when confronted, will shell out some monetary relief (as any responsible person would do).

14. Willy301

Willy301

He said the guy was showing his truck and his tractor, I assume the tractor is of the farming persuation...just a guess though...

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The guy was showing his restored farm tractor and I was a little leery of parking near the truck and trailer,I should have listened to the voices in my head that time.

16. Yeah I guess it would be a little difficult to drive your tractor to the event. The guy may not have realized he hit your car, hard to know. Shit happens. My 40 was hit on a grocery store lot once, no note, but that's the chance we take if we want to truly enjoy our rides. Glad the damage wasn't too bad.

17. dude that sucks. sorry to hear about that. seems like folks are getting a lot more careless even at shows these days. at least they didn't get the sheetmetal. Jeff

18. Gsnickets

Gsnickets

over the winter, world of wheels was in town... I had just put some '59 caddy lights into the centers of my 62 falcon lens. after walking around the show for a few hours, i came back to my car to see the left tail light laying on the ground. someone had bumped the caddy light and shattered the whole lens. factoring in the cost of a new replacement for both my 62's and the caddy light, shit cost me just over 100 bucks.... no note. I'm almost positive it had to be someone's kid they were letting run around, as there were free roaming kids all over the place darting in and out between cars.... the little fucker that broke the light is damn sure lucky I didn't see it.

19. Sorry, I missed that. You're right.

20. Hey I'll meet both of you fellas in the middle and call it a middle aged woman. :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter how it happened or who done it it is still a bummer. Chrome is not cheap. If it were mine I would almost wish it was sheet metal.

One good thing that gets it out of the way, now once fixed you should be bump free for awhile.

21. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

My daddy always told me ...IT COULD BE WORSE.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"
    nobody wants their stuff tore up by somebody else though.

22. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I was headed to a car show in my 33 . sitting at a stop sign about 300 yards from the motel and a drunk in a jacked up 4 wheel drive trk rearended me. I saw him coming but it was pull out in front of a semi or let him hit me. He had been drinking , no drivers license , no insurance. the cops gave him a ticket for following too close and my Ins co had to foot the bill. He got a 50 dollar fine.

23. John Stimac

John Stimac

Get a hold of the people running registration at that show, there cant be too many tactors that were there. Report it to your insurance, tell them who you suspect with his name address etc.. they'll do the rest. When they catch up with him, you'll get your deductable back.