Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. comingtogetya37

comingtogetya37

im new to the hamb. Close, but this is actually in Pomona, im a fanatic when it comes to Drag racing talk haha.

2. comingtogetya37

comingtogetya37

back in the day you would see warren brogie kruzin holt blvd at nite in pomona drivin frome the back seat in his little race car. how kool is that. thats when we kruzed holt.

3. comingtogetya37

comingtogetya37

on garlits cluach explo. that day we were at the fuel and gas chapionships at bakersfield on sat after qualafing we jamed to lions to the p.d.a meet. and sat on the westside. four rowes from the bottom. right in front where garlits car cut in halve. let me tell you, there were parts flying allover. we just coverd our faces. a few people went down. the motor was runnig full blast. if im right it was ether lou baniey or the lions starter who pulled the mag wires off. he was the hero of the nite. that motor was ready to self destruck and send more chrapnal allover the stands. and to put icing the cake. when they got garlits in the ambulace somebody slamed the rear door on garlits injured towe. poor don as if he wasent hurting allready. the guy taking the photos was in front of us.

4. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

And just when you thought this thread couldn't get any better, Bingo! it does. The hits and pictures just keep on coming. Thanks guys. What a way to start the day here in Hot Hot Texas!
    Now back to the "day starter breakfast" the honeybun with a Jack Daniels chaser. A real get you day started deal!

1940 Willys Coupe

5. Not quite sure what's goin' on here. Bent Frame? Broken Frame? Flexible frame? Looks Awful(-awful).

6. rooman

rooman

Nope. The motor is in line with the rear end so it is just the fact that the body is mounted at an extreme rake that makes it look weird. Note that the torsion bar crossmember is really low and that the frame runs up steeply to the rear as well. It looks as if the lower rail is pointed at the rear axle tube rather than running well below it as is most common now.

Roo

7. Thanks,Roo. The more I looked at it,I could see what you mean.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

8. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

I must repeat what I've said earlier, THIS THREAD IS AWESOME, and you old farts contributing with those stories, you make my days. THANKS

9. Cool to see a great, in focus, close up shot of the Magic Muffler car where the crank isn't falling out the bottom!

10. George Jasinek

George Jasinek
    from Phoenix,AZ

I remember seeing The Flying Dutchman on a rainy sunday in Wichita Ks. in the winter of 1970. They had us run up & down the strip in our own cars to try to dry the track. He ended up needing a "paper clip" to repair his funny car.

11. George Jasinek

George Jasinek
    from Phoenix,AZ

After getting a double lung transplant in Jan. of this year, I have enjoyed every picture you all have posted. This has helped me in a huge way; Thank you all so much. Fantastick memories are being stirred up. I wish it would never end!!!!!!

12. brobertson2

brobertson2

Hmmmm....with all due respect to Mr. Loewen, I think that somehow a picture was mislabeled by mistake. I could be wrong, but based on the shape of the weed-sweeper headers, American Mags, CT Strokers and Scheifer decal, down angle of the engine and Enderle injectors, I think this is Ivo's Barnstormer car (at Bakersfield), before the full body.

13. WCD

WCD

This was obvioulsly long after the infamous bottom end explosion for it is at Irwindale in the summer. Maybe 1966? Note that the rebuilt mill now features an a 2 port Hillborn as opposed to the long relied upon Enderle barndoor.

14. WCD

WCD

I never got to see the car when Nancy ran it, but I did see its subsequent owner Gary LeDuc run it with an injected motor and race A/Gas Dragster in 1969. By then it was painted in pearl white and orange stripes. But Century Olds still served as a sponsor. Does anyone have a shot of it in that guise?

15. comingtogetya37

comingtogetya37

jhon hiltons car. the most awesome car that i have seen. wow never seen it before. this thread is so kool.

16. rick finch

rick finch

Here's one running a later version Enderle....

[​IMG]

17. BLee67

BLee67

Here are some pics of a local guy, Willis Ragsdale. A good friend is married to his daughter. He was a legend around here. He started racing roadsters in the late 50s and won Indy. Note the low-tech front end on his original roadster. He ran SBCs, Hemis, and Boss Ford engines. He built the red car in the early 80s and was his last. I stopped by his place a while back as he was finishing up his 36 3W.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  18. rick finch

rick finch

You've all seen this pic of Willie a million times.....but I never really "looked" at it until I enlarged the image. There's alot of shit goin' on here!:eek:

[​IMG]

19. Larry T

Larry T

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

going through the traps, and under the bridge at RIR....once in a lifetime photo by Reyes.

21. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

The "Moon Eyes" are great! It looks like they know where they are going!

22. bigolds

bigolds

Kinda makes ya realize how big your balls need to be to drive these things!!!!!

23. Falconred

Falconred

That is like one guy said in Vietnam, "If they done to Cale what they do to bulls they would have to use a chainsaw". Same goes with Willie.

The is a certain photo of Willie in a pre-race parade down the track that features a young lady giving Willie a surprise. I have it some where but don't know if it would be legal on here.

24. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

George, glad you are on the mend. I too remember that cold and wet day. I have a picture of me staging the car and you can see snow flakes. I believe he beat us because we couldn't hook up on that mess. Thanks and keep the memories coming. Mike Runyan

25. 296ardun

296ardun

We had a discussion earlier in this thread about Willie driving with one hand...as I said, when the altered got REALLY crooked, both hands went to the wheel, like in this photo....he was brave, but not stupid, like Mazooma said...

26. 296ardun

296ardun

It is clearly not Ernie Hashim in '55, this car is early 60s, could well be Ivo, the letters on the cowl could be mistaken for the last letters in "Smokers," which was Hashim's club, but I think it was the last letters in "CT Strokers," which Ivo ran...

27. Larry T

Larry T