Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unsplit wishbone to A-V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ilari, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Ilari

Ilari

I made my Model A chassis with hairpins in front, but now I´m having second thoughts. I have a mercury flathead with Ford 39 gear box and I wonder what kind of supporting point could I make for unsplit wishbone and of which year model of Ford I should pick the wishbone from. I have one in garage, I suppose it´s from 39Ford.
    Do you have any pictures of how you did it?

2. I used a 32 K member in my AV8 for both the transmission mount and the wishbone mount.
    The wishbones are 34 ford. I had to extend them a few inches to line up with the wishbone cup. It all depends where you position the engine/tranny as to how much, if at all the wishbones will have to be extended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  3. Found another picture of the completed chassis
    [​IMG]

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  4. Ilari

Ilari

That would be great, but I´m using Ford 39 gearbox. I have made custom k-member with original middle part of Model A frame. Would like to continue with that, even if yours look much more traditional. I suppose it´s quite the same solution as in book "How to build traditional hot rod"? I think I would make my next Model A frame similar to yours. :)

I wonder if someone has a Ford 39 gear box with Ford 39 gear box support piece and unsplit wishbone?

By the way, I have similar gear box as yours, but it´s basically the shell. Can I use e.g. Ford 39 gears in it?

5. Hoop-in-JAX

Hoop-in-JAX

6. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

7. Ilari

Ilari

The Snyderantigueauto-solution is second link seems simple, but Corn coupe´s solution seems stronger and independent from driveline. Looks really nice, good work Corn coupe.
    I think I´ll be able to make something based on one of these solutions. Corn Coupe´s solution allows to use different lenghts of wishbones, so I might be able to use Ford 39 wishbone which I already have.

8. damn that's one sweet roadster!

9. Adam F

Adam F

Perfect altitude!

10. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

You could get the centre section off a 33/34 and maybe graft it into your "K" member that you have, I used the complete 33/34 "K" member in my "A" frame along with the wishbone/axle
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

A friend of mine built his center cross member and used two retainer caps face to face similar to the picture I found on the Net. Kinda hard to describe,...

[​IMG]

But you guys get the idea.

12. Ilari

Ilari

That looks really nice to me.

13. Ilari

Ilari

Yes, that´s what I´m now planning to do. I know I have one extra cup somewhere which I can use with how ever I do the cross member I attach it to. And I believe you need two of these caps in Snyderantigueauto-solution too.

14. Rem

Rem

You can bolt a '32 rear mount to your '39 trans in place of the original mount, or, yes, you can swap the '39 gears into the earlier case, but the later case is supposedly stronger. You'll need the matching shifter tower for the gears, so swap that over too.

15. Ilari

Ilari

Ok, thanks for the info. That´s good to know.