Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- Transmission adapters, flywheels, starters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Gary - Less moving parts, less $$$, appearance...

2. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

That's how mine looked...I didn't like the filter right next to the header...I went to Ohio George and got a remote unit instead..

3. krooser

krooser

I'm using the older style cannister filter with the removable top and the drop in filter cartridge...

4. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I bought a 51 331 hemi today that someone left water in... and it froze and cracked the block on both sides...

It was in something cool at one time I'm sure...

The heads look good- chrome valve covers looked even better... along with all the brackets, dizzy, covers...

The kicker is that it had a offy adapter to a lasalle... complete with flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, throw-out bearing, fork... and the part I NEEDED THE MOST THE PILOT BUSHING for my roadsters setup!!!

I'm gonna get both the bushing for this extended bell lasalle setup and the bushing for the cragar to extended bell to ford toploader duplicated- When I get the measurement I'll be sure to post them here on the hamb... or somewhere.

It seems like its easy to find the adapters... but finding the little pieces is a pain in the ass...

The guy I got the hemi from knew nothing about it or the adapter... he sent me pics and I knew right away what it was... Rad. Hopefully we can get some of this stuff documented for the few of us that are actually running them...

Hot Rods Rule[tm]

Attached Files:

5. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Nice score there Tuck! Sounds like you got all the goodies with the adapter. As you know I am still piecing together my Cragar adapter for my '52 331.

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Does anyone have this type of blueprint for the small block mopar motor back so I can see the difference in dowelpins? I have searched till my eyes are bleeding :cool:

8. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Just looking at the wilcap kit, I'm glad I scored an extended bellhousing 331. I originally thought the extended bell was going to be an issue. Way simpler kit compared to the latter 331-354-392 hemis

9. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

for extended bell, I have a factory powerflite adapter i was thinking of working on to get a t-5 in, anyone know how thick a wilcap adapter is, Pat is out of town.

10. I have the JW Ultrabell on my 392 with T400. It all just bolted up and worked fine. I did it a few years ago so don't remember details except for it being a bit shorter engine mount to trans mount distance than the previous 392, T400 setup using a Wilcap adapter. ...no other problems in the last several years since.

Previously, with the Wilcap setup I had a vibration that made driving unpleasant. I do not know the cause of the vibration to this day, if it was the hemi's balance, the adaptor, or the old T400, as all potential sources were corrected with the new setup.

11. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Hi anyone familiar with Cad LaSalle to ext bell 331. I just picked up a motor and it had this adapter and lasalle tranny, no clutch/flywheel/bearings or t/o arm.

Can you tell me what to look for?

Thanks for any help
    Brandon

Attached Files:

12. Squablow

Squablow

Man, my head is spinning, so much information.

I just bought a '57 354 Power Giant truck Hemi. It still has the original stick bellhousing, flywheel, and starter on it. I want to run an 833 4 speed behind it.

From what I've read here, it sounds like I can use this bellhousing with some machine work done to it, is that correct? The bell is super heavy and has big built-in side mounts on it, is that the same one everyone else is using, or do I have some big-truck only bell that I should replace? Can I use the stock starter and flywheel and all that shit with the 833, or?

A friend of mine is going to bolt all this stuff together for me, but I need to find all the right parts that will work together, and if the bellhousing needs to be redrilled and/or machined I need to have that done ahead of time, so any advice is much appreciated.

13. 73RR

73RR

Ok, the first question is: will this bell do the job that you want it to do, or, is it simply a monsterous truck piece that really doesn't fit your needs??
    If if you 'could' use it then it is a simple matter to determine if an A-833 can be mounted; what is the distance from the trans face of the bell to the face of the flywheel? This measurement, +/-, must be such that the clutch disc mates to the splines on the input shaft. Everything else, pilot bearing, registration hole, and bolt pattern can be fixed.
    If this bell is something that you would really rather not use then you have two other options; 1. Find a bell for a ca. 58-60 3-speed from a flathead inline six or A-series v-8 (some of these bells actually have both block bolt patterns). This bell is almost a bolt-up for the A-833. This package will use the flywheel and starter that go with the bell. 2. Buy an adapter package and put a late small block bell on it. This will require the use of a 426Hemi 130 tooth flywheel. With some modifications, a van/pickup bell can be used along with a 143 tooth flywheel (currently easier to find than the 130...).

Gary

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  14. George

George

I have an aluminum /6 '60 bell housing if anyone is interested.

15. Squablow

Squablow

Excellent info, I appreciate it. I'm not fond of the truck bell since it's so heavy, so I'll be looking into the inline 6 bell/flywheel/starter.

Can I ask, what is the "almost" part of being able to bolt up the A-833 on that bellhousing, is there some modification that I'd need to do? I'm really a novice when it comes to mating engines and transmissions together so any help I can get here is great.

I can try to cross-reference a '59 flathead 6 stick bellhousing in a Hollander to see what other cars and trucks used it, but does anyone know offhand what donor car I should look for to get this bell/flywheel and related parts? I know of a '57 Dodge with flat 6/stick in it that I could get the pieces from but not sure if that'll work and I want to be sure before I spend the money. Sounds like slant 6 stuff won't work, correct?

16. 73RR

73RR

Correct, slant six is a different breed of animal.
    The 57 Dodge may have the parts that you need, I am not sure of the exact application. If you have a Hollander then please post the cross reference. Remember when looking for the cross, the bell will fit on both the 6 and v-8.

The 'almost' part is pretty simple. The bell is approximately the right depth and based on the position of the disc v.s. input shaft you can either mount a thin plate for new bolt holes or weld new bosses onto the housing. The trans bolt patterns are not even close to one another.
    Next, depending on the exact trans, the bearing retainer may be slightly smaller or slightly larger than the bell registration hole. You can make a ring type spacer, bore out the hole, or incorporate the 'fix' into the plate that you may or may not use.

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=17642&highlight=a833

Hope this helps.

17. kisam

kisam

Question - 58 Hemi, Wilcap starter plate & flywheel spacer with pilot bearing mated to an 833. Does the input shaft still need to index into the crank hub or is the flyweel spacer with bearing enough support and I can shorten the shaft? The crank has never been drilled for a bearing and it is a really tight fit.

18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

As long as the input shaft is through the pilot bearing you are fine. Shortening the shaft is common.

19. Possible to run a BOP Trans?
    Specifically a 67 Buick st400.

20. 73RR

73RR

Call Pat McGuire (Wilcap), he does the brand-x stuff.

21. TXMark

TXMark

Okay this is what I want to do and need advice. 331 mated to a 96 Camaro 28 spline T5 WC trans. (ford bolt pattern) this is what I think I will need. A mustang 5.0 bell housing, the hot heads or Wilcap to ford 302/5.0 adapter w/steel flywheel, mustang 10.5" 28 spline clutch, throughout bearing & clutch fork.
    Will this all bolt together?

22. TXMark

TXMark

I read on in the thread and realized my best source for info would be to call wilcap:D

23. kisam

kisam

I need some input guys. I am running an A833 and have gone through the shifter, cleaned, greased and adjusted as recommended. The problem is that I have a lot of slop making it a little difficult to find the gears. I noticed that some of linkage rods have the correct washer and spring clips while others have a cotter pin. Am I right in assuming that I should replace with all new spring clips as they hold tension on the linkage rod? And can I get them at a local parts place or will I have to order them? Thanks!

24. TXMark

TXMark

I just bought a TRWaters with a reconditioned flywheel I'll post how it fits and the quality of the parts. I scapped the T5 idea and I am going with a A833

25. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Nice going, Gary. :D

26. Couple questions turned into a flame war . . . let's all move on.

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Literally, thanks for nothing. He removed his post and now NONE of us get to benefit from what he had posted.

Thanks Gary! I removed my comment as well. Your post WAS helpful!! Wish you would have left the initial tech portion of the post. I don't suppose I could encourage you to re-post that portion, could I? It was a good piece of information for this thread. :eek:

28. Unnecessary drama on all sides . . . not what this site is about.

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Thinking of getting a wilcap to put a 54 331 to a Muncie, using a Ansen style pedal, what's the best bel housing to use? Thanks