Register now to get rid of these ads!

SDRA Dragster For The Coast Build Thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old28, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Hi Old28, there were five cars. Roy Merritt 302 GMC that days quickest 11.35
    Tod Martin 302 GMC about 11. 37
    Bob Hindman 261 Chevy 11. 80
    Joe Hamby slant 6 11.53
    and the one modern engine, Dave Bridgewater 4liter jeep 9.95 broke out on 11.35 index

2. bobw

bobw

Joe, thanks for the pics and the information about the SDRA cars. If I could see the 11's I'd be a happy boy!

3. Old28

Old28

Joe Hamby -- Joe, thanks for the information on motor and ET. I am working on a Chevy 261 size motor and would be thriled to run 11.75 - 12.25 after a long learning curve getting one of these cars off the line on 6" tires. Drop any information about these cars or motors on this thread for all to see. Tom

bobw -- Bob, I think you will be real surprised with the head work you are doing on the slant 6, may need more cam and bigger carbs in the future.

4. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

JOE GETS A GREAT BIG ATTA BOY FOR GETTING HIS CAR IN THE MID 11s. ALL THE SDRA GUYS KNOW HOW HARD HE WORKED TO ACHIEVE THIS AGAIN ATTA BOY JOE. I SEE 11/30s IN HIS FUTURE

5. Old28

Old28

Well got a little more work done yesterday. The rear end mounts are in place and ready to weld. Still need to re-drill the holes and put in four 1/2" grade-8 bolts and locking nuts. Will build anti-rotation plate for the third member later when I put the drive shaft cover in place. Starting work today on the motor mounts.

Attached Files:

6. Joe Roseberry

Joe Roseberry

Tom, I don't know if we have met but if not let me introduce myself. My name is Joe and like you I'm from Bakersfield, born and raised. I run HA/Gr #48 (early Chevy 6) and my granddaughter is driving Rocky's #4 Ford 6. I'm really glad you are putting a car together but at the same time I'm a bit sad that you will not helping the class grow. I know that it is not the easiest way to go but I can assure you that we are having more fun than the guys who are taking the short cut. I look forward to seeing you at Famoso or Eagle Field. Joe

7. Old28

Old28

Joe Roseberry -- Joe, I have talked to you before and have seen your granddaughter run at the last two ANRA races. It is nice to see some young people getting interested in this type of car.

As for your comments on me taking "the short cut" & "not helping the class" I think you are way off. There are two types of the same style car here in the States, HA/GR & SDRA and I like the setup of the SDRA car for my type of racing. I know that there are others that would like to build a car like mine, but no one wants to be first out this way. Just because most of the SDRA cars are in the Tulsa area (8-10) with 5 more spread out in other states don't mean we can't have some out on the coast. I know I will not be racing side by side with you in qualifying (but maybe in O/W Eliminations) and that is fine with me.

I hope you understand where I am coming from as I am a big supporter of this type of race car (HA/GR & SDRA) and want to see it grow even more in the next few years. I have got a lot of support in my build thread from the local HA/GR owners and I could not be happier.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  8. Old28

Old28

Started fabing some motor mounts yesturday from a couple of old 4 bar rear suspenion parts. I had to cut them apart and re-weld as they were an angle set when new. Will modify the brackets so they fit the frame rail. The tubes have 3/16" wall so they should plenty strong. Hope to get them done today.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• 118.jpg
      118.jpg
      File size:
      146.7 KB
      Views:
    • 121.jpg
      121.jpg
      File size:
      173.8 KB
      Views:
    • 124.jpg
      124.jpg
      File size:
      129.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Old28

Old28

Finished the motor mounts today and they are ready to weld in place. Like how they came out and they have about 45-50 degree of angle. I will be working on the steering box mount this weekend if time permits. Sure nice to be retired and have the time to work on projects, a little more cash would be nice.;)

Attached Files:

• 126.jpg
      126.jpg
      File size:
      134.9 KB
      Views:
    • 128.jpg
      128.jpg
      File size:
      108.8 KB
      Views:
    • 129.jpg
      129.jpg
      File size:
      131 KB
      Views:
  10. ThingyM

ThingyM

Looking pretty snazzy there tom...keep up the good work, you'll have a real looker there....

11. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

Hi Tom & all others,

Got your PM and just as easy to post here.

I sent Joe Hamby our first burnout results and they are posted here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292331

Great of Joe to set up this list and keep it up to date.

Quick review, Jerry's 300" Ford when 12.30 first time out. At the last race it ran a 11.68.

My dead stock Slant 6 went 16.10 first time out. At the last race I ran a 14.63. My car weighs 1515 lbs w/o driver. Haven't weighed Jerry's yet.

No changes to the cars. Just getting used to them.

- Walt

12. Old28

Old28

Casual 6 -- Walt, thanks for the update on the cars. That Ford 300 of Jerry's is one quick ride. When do you think the other two cars will be on the track?
    Have ether Jerry or yourself ran the cars with 6" wide street tires? How far are you going with the slant 6 in your car? Be sure to let me know how the cars do at the next few races.

13. Old28

Old28

A little steering progress this past weekend. The steering box is out of a VW and is pretty small, but not real light. The good part is that it was in the parts I got with the frame so we will make it work. Fabed up a bracket that will be welded to the firewall loop. Will drill and pin shaft extension on the steering wheel end and work on the pitman shaft extension this week.

Attached Files:

14. ThingyM

ThingyM

The VW steering box is a good one, I use them quite often..

15. Old28

Old28

ThingyM -- thanks Dick, I almost picked up a spare on on the HAMB Classifieds last week. They are real compack and don't weight to much. I am looking at extending the pitman shaft with 1" tube and supporting the outside end with a home made nylon sleeve bracket on the frame. The steering shaft extension is another piece of the old 4 bar tube I made the motor mounts with, fit like a glove. Maybe a little more work this week.:rolleyes:

16. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

How much does a vw box weigh

17. Old28

Old28

Mudflap261 -- As you see it in the mock up with the bracket & steering tube extension it comes in at 9#, so I would say on or about 5# bare. Nice little unit to work on, I dissembled this one to check it out and it is very easy to reassemble and adjust.

18. Old28

Old28

Well I got my axle back from my buddy with 19 1" holes, I like how it looks. This is a 46-49 long axle and is about 2" wider than a stock 32-40 unit. I would have liked a stock 28-31 but this is what I had so it will do fine. My little "toy drill press" was no match for this axle.:eek:Thanks, Danny.

Got all the parts to set up the spindles so I have put in a few shots of the installation. My spindles are 1936 (35-36) and are different than 37-40 round back. There is no 37-40 type king pin made for these so you have to use a 37-40 and modify it to fit. These spindles had thrust bearing on top from Ford when new and I am yet to figure out what good it did. I was able to fine some thin needle thrust bearings to install in the normal way and by shimming the top I was able to use the stock notch in the pin. Because these spindles are smaller the king pin sticks out the bottom about a inch and I will shorten them after I know everything works. Just thought someone might run into a set and the information might be of help.;)

Attached Files:

• 183.jpg
      183.jpg
      File size:
      127.6 KB
      Views:
    • 182.jpg
      182.jpg
      File size:
      106.5 KB
      Views:
    • 185.jpg
      185.jpg
      File size:
      111.2 KB
      Views:
    • 186.jpg
      186.jpg
      File size:
      117.7 KB
      Views:
    • 187.jpg
      187.jpg
      File size:
      145.3 KB
      Views:
    • 188.jpg
      188.jpg
      File size:
      133.2 KB
      Views:
  19. ThingyM

ThingyM

Tom.. That must be a Lincoln front axel. because of the width.... As far as the king pins. I don't use the thrust bearings either. We had the same deal on Joe's roadster. Just cut the puppys off....

20. Old28

Old28

ThingyM -- Dick, the thin thrust bearing, two machine washers & two .010 shims worked out real nice for the normal area and I used regular dust cap with 3 machine washer on top to get the pin notch in the right place. Know that I have had them on and they work like they should I'm going to disassemble and cut them. You may be right on the axle. I would have liked it a little shorter but the C/L on front tires looks the same as the back will be so I think it will work out fine.

21. Old28

Old28

I picked up a set of front tires last week and got them mounted. I looked for some used tires at 8 MC shops in Bakersfield area and none would sell or give away any used tires. "California-Home Of Liability Law Suites" so I got a new set. They are 110mm x 80mm x 17" and they fit my 1933/34 3.50 wide rims real nice.

With my axle/spindle/hubs together I had to see what it looks like. So I mocked it up with the hairpins just to check it out. Think it looks real cool. Seeing it there makes you feel like you have something going, when in reality I have tons of stuff to do yet. I am working on a spring setup that will mount on top of the axle and be a 2 leaf setup. The spring mount holes are 4" wider on this axle than a normal 28-42.

Attached Files:

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Sir, THAT's some serious red. :eek:

The build's looking great. :cool:
    I can see why you'd want to soften that front suspension a tad. :D

23. Old28

Old28

Old6rodder
    -- Come on Dick, compared to the colors on those floats you build the wheels are very mild.;)

My old bones will not stand for solid suspension front and rear. Got to come up with a plan. I'm thinking Tech will not pass the double C-clamp hold down.:mad:

24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Try single C-clamp...has a little more give to it.

25. Old28

Old28

64 DODGE 440 -- Tom, that would work, but it always comes back to what that Tech guy thinks (on any given day).:rolleyes:

I would love to weld in a set to mount something from just to mess with there mines.:eek:

26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Building one of this type of car requires a sense of humor...always fun to add the little personal touches. Be creative and have fun with your build. Hope to see you at Eagle Field in October. :D

27. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Looks great. Have fun with it!!

28. Old28

Old28

64 DODGE 440 -- Tom you have it all right, make it like you want and have fun building it. My biggest problem is that I am more of a driver "not a real good one" than I am a builder, that is a fact.;) I can't wait to get the car on the track and if that was next week it would not be soon enough. I think the Eagle Field race in Oct is same weekend as the ANRA Race and we will be running a buddy's NE-2 car at the Aug & Oct races.

1929CDAN -- Thanks for the kind word, I do not fancy myself a fabricator. I just try to put stuff together so it looks wright and has an old school look.

29. nexxussian

nexxussian

"Double C Clamp mount", why not.

I would always show up at pre season tech with something held on with vise grips with the handles duct taped together. :D

It helps to draw their attention from where you don't want them to look. ;)

30. Old28

Old28

nexxussian -- Erik, they must have loved seeing you arrive for tech with a fine pair of vice grips and the best Racer Tape.

We have a real good thing going with our local tech people and I don't want to rock the boat so I will just install regular u-bolts for now.:cool:

I am thinking, welded C-clamps supporting my battery box. It would be a conversation peace and the extra weight would be right over the rear axle, as if I need more weight for traction.:D