Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb Fire and the Resulting Disaster (Advice)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pottsie454, Jul 13, 2011.

1. pottsie454

pottsie454

So my dads 41 Sedan Delivery (383 Stroker motor) had a carb fire the other day. He was able to put it out before it extended to the rest of the vehicle. He had it towed home and we pulled the holly carb off and found that one of the breather stud couplers had snapped in half, and unfortunately we are unable to find the other half of the snapped piece so I am going to have to assume it went threw the intake in pieces. Before knowing this information he had started it at the house to pull it in the garage with only minimal misfire issues.

What we have done so far is bought a new Elderblock 600cfm carb. It actually sounds very healthy. We took it for a spin and we are getting a lot of spark knock under heavy throttle/load. He also noted that the motor seemed to be running hotter then normal.

I am going to check timing and adjust the mixture screws to fatten up the mixture next, but can anyone offer any advice on some other things to check under these circumstances.

2. SpeedJunkee

SpeedJunkee
    Alliance Vendor

The Mixture screws wont help with acceleration, you will need a tuning kit with metering rods, springs, and jets to fatten it up. If it is lean that will make it run hot.

3. SpeedJunkee

SpeedJunkee
    Alliance Vendor

Edelbrock part number EDL-1479. Costs $56.95

4. pottsie454

pottsie454

Thanks, Im hoping a little idle mixture and timing is the fix.. but what I am really afraid of is if that coupler piece has done damage to the internals of the motor. I guess maybe a good question would be is if the coupler damaged something internally would it be possible for the motor to have a healthy idle?

I come from a motorcycle motor background with 2 cylinders to worry about, so I am not new to the concepts, just new to the 8 cylinder world.

5. pottsie454

pottsie454

Thanks, Im hoping a little idle mixture and timing is the fix.. but what I am really afraid of is if that coupler piece has done damage to the internals of the motor. I guess maybe a good question would be is if the coupler damaged something internally would it be possible for the motor to have a healthy idle?

I come from a motorcycle motor background with 2 cylinders to worry about, so I am not new to the concepts, just new to the 8 cylinder world.

6. SpeedJunkee

SpeedJunkee
    Alliance Vendor

If you didn't see anything in the intake and there is no knocking then you should be ok