Register now to get rid of these ads!

car on fire at goodguys columbus?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cjrolke, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Old&Low

Old&Low

I've put out no less than 4 engine fires and a resultant grass fire for folks 'burning' on the side of the highway over the past few years; used soda, beer, and even cat litter on one of them. The only heartening thing to me was not one of them was a Hot Rod or 'homebuilt;' all of them were factory cars less than 5 years old. Fires as well as accidents can happen to anyone, but notice and take heart in the fact that they don't happen to 'car nuts/builders' very often. Hope he's a member, or knows one so we can help him out with whatever he might need.

2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

i think opening the hood helped,if not the gas river could of spread it to more cars or towards the tank in the rear.sad either way.

3. Big Dad

Big Dad

4. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

It woulden't have taken as long to get fire extingushers if the fire started at a AACA meet.
    Every car is required to have at least one fire extingusher.

If it is not fixed mounted in the car, it must be placed next to the L F. wheel in plain view!

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

What a shame ! ,...

6. jamn47

jamn47

Maybe he was concerned that if he put real braided lines on it and a real billet or alluminum fuel filter on it, someone would say he's not period correct. I'd rather not have a fire than be period correct. I run -8 Earls throughout my fuel system.

7. frank spittle

frank spittle

When I heard the "death gurgle" it sounded to me like an ah-rouga horn shorted out and blasting. Sorry the owner had to deal with that.

8. OK what I don't understand is the first guy shooting the extinguisher @ the grill & not the base of the flames. Man that just makes me ill. Hope he can rebuild it.

9. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Still a cool car, even toasted a little.[​IMG]

10. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

That totally blows! Also did you notice the comment below the video where Filbert whoever that is says that it would be better if it was a hot rod than all original because you can find all the parts you need for a hot rod in the Jegs catalog.

11. Shit I hate to see this. Silver linning though: it will be just the nudge it takes to get some of us off our lazy asses ang go get extinguishers for our cars. I think I'll get my big can charged up to throw in the back of the truck for long hauls to major shows. I liked what somebody had to say about, "what about the guy next to you". Right on man! I was at the drive in in the F-100 just last weekend and smelled gass half way through the movie. I freeaked out ane went all over the truck with the flash light untill I found the leak. It was coming from the very late model mini van beside us, go figure. Safty first, go fast second, look good doing it third.

12. Badhudson

Badhudson
    from Ohio

This car belonged to My best Friend Bob, he bought this 39 Ford Sedan in the 60's. built it himself in the 70's. He has done upgrades to car but had the original laquer paint and interior since he built it. It backfired and caught fire. I think the electric fuel pump fueled the fire, it was his old ahooga horn crying. Bob had State farm Ins. so far they said get some estimates for repairs. Bob is in his upper 70's I doubt it ever being the same as it was. This car was a class act. Very well maintained. Has many family memories and is the car that got me into the Hotrodding hobby. I shed tears when I heard the news. usually I am parked beside this car. This is the first yr I never drove up to Goodguys. He did have a fire extinquisher in the car, just could not get hood up in time. His license tag read "Bobs 39" it was a 39 Deluxe with some 40 trim.

13. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

All of that makes this suck even more...

Sorry Bob....

14. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Looked like a really nice car..... I hope he gets it back on the road.

15. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

thats a crying shame, i really hope everything works out for the man.:(

16. Oh man, that's hard to watch. It makes me feel sick, actually.

17. farmer12

farmer12

That's a damn shame......

18. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Sorry Bob has such bad luck. Sounds like he put a lot of effort in this car, not just his money. Keep us updated on the insurance aspect of this deal please. It will be interesting to hear how St Farm handles this. Sympathy to Bob.

19. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Thats sucks alot.

20. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

That's for damn sure! It was ugly, I only saw it while leaving. Not only was it cooked, AND by a power source by the looks of the flame, but in front of all those people. It made me sick to my stomach to see it.

Hopefully, he's a HAMBer...

21. ringgold

ringgold

Hello to All! I just joined your site today and want to thank all of you for your posts and kind comments regarding the '39 Ford that caught fire at the GoodGuys Car Show this past weekend in Columbus. Unfortunately, my husband, Bob Means, is the owner and builder of the car. He built the car himself in the late 70's and painted it black. In response to some of your questions, we live in Circleville, Ohio, just twenty miles south of Columbus. The License plate on the car reads "Bobs 39." The carburetor malfunctioned and started the fire. The engine was not running during the fire. The dashboard and all of it's components were original to the car and are ruined. The headliner was indeed hanging as reported by one member. My husband had a 350 Chevy Stock Motor with a turbo 400 transmission under the hood. Naturally, there was lots of chrome. All was lost. He drove his '39 to numerous car shows, from OH to OK, MN, TN, KY, MI, WI, IN, IL, and back to OH. He will rebuild!!! By the way, Bob did indeed have a fire extinquisher in his car!!! His was one of the first ones to be used before he was able to open the hood. He said attempts were made to extinquish the fire BEFORE the hood was opened. The fire lasted longer than the 2:30 minute video we are fortunate to watch on YouTube. Again, thanks to all for your concern.

22. 61falcon

61falcon

thanks for the update and welcome to the hamb! sorry about the car, hope to see it on the road again soon.

23. Thats sick to watch. Very sad. Im glad to hear he will be rebuilding the car though. Gotta get me an extinguisher now.

24. ringgold

ringgold

You're soooo right!!! My husband, Bob Means, owner of the car, has already pressure washed the exterior and cleaned the interior! That crap from the fire extinquishers is history. He built the car once and is going to rebuild. I appreciate your words. My husband is safe and sound. Thank you so much for caring.

25. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

So sorry about the car. BUT I really admire your spirit! Best wishes to Bob and yourself as you rebuild the car. I have no doubts that it will be back to its former glory. Please keep us posted.

26. x2!!

27. rougebeats

rougebeats

What a total bummer. Between the stolen cars/trailors and car fires-it seems as though there were a few insurance claims that day. Hope everyone was up to date on their policies. Sucks that there werent more extinguishers in the crowd.

28. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

Only have one fire extinguisher, But I move it from car to car I will buy 2 more.
    This should be a must for an nsra inspection not a option for the 23 pin.
    Things can turn ugly quick I've been there.
    Bob needs some friends to come together and get him on the road.
    Frank

29. chevy348

chevy348
    from Ohio

Good one. Thats me too.

30. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

ringgold, good to hear from you and glad to hear everyone is ok. The car can certainly be rebuilt. Could have been LOTS worse. Glad to hear that Bob will go back after it. We shall look forward to updates!