Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1,500lbs ?? If that's your goal, then I wouldn't even be thinking about 3/4 ton wide five stuff.

If the car is that light, which I doubt you'll ever get there ;), you need to be looking at sprint car parts.

2. BKHRS

BKHRS

Actually just use the stock drum brakes, you would probably have close to the same rotational mass. I just dug out end weighed a stock wide 5 hub with bearings and buick drum 20 pounds, a frankland wide 5 hub without bearings or rotor 12 pounds, when you add the bearings, rotor, safety hub snout and hardware, you are close to the same weight, if you drill out the backing plate you would probably end up with less unsprung weight than a disk brake set up.

3. You might be right on the weight, but I'm gonna try. What's a racecar like the one in your avatar weigh in at?

4. Hmmm, I'll reconsider that. It'll probably come down to what I find a good deal on, first.

5. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I just built a chassis using the racing W5 hubs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you can loan me one of your spindles to measure from, I can turn you up the adapters that you need to run the Wide Five hubs.

Also, just FYI, but those racing hubs are going to have 5/8" studs in them, so your stock Ford wheels are not going to fit. I once tried to put a W5 racing wheel on a stock '36 Ford drum, and it would not fit. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, but they looked to have a slightly different bolt circle.

I know the racing W5 bolt circle is 5 on 10.25", but am unsure what the stock '35-'37 Ford passenger car hubs were.

That's not a big deal though, 'cause W5 racing wheels are cheap and easy to find.

You will also find that 3/4 ton International Harvester hubs and spindles are the same as the Fords for those years (I want to say late 30's on up into the middle 50's, but that could be wrong).

Weight wise, the newer racing stuff can be had that is quite a lot lighter than drums. Those Winters 007 hubs in the pics I posted above weigh like 3.5# a piece (hollow spun cast magnesium), and you can get 7/8" thick rotors that are quite a bit lighter than the HD stuff. The hubs and brakes on that chassis I built weigh about 11# per corner, including the brake caliper and pads, but not the spindle.

Let me know if I can help you.

6. kt

kt

Nice craftsmanship Cool Hand.

New Convertible class??.....:)

7. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

HA! :D

Not exactly, but that'd be cool. Maybe with a roll bar above helmet height though.

It's one of those deals where I couldn't build the cage until I'd gotten the body hung, but the project stalled before I got there.

Thank You for the compliment. :cool:

8. Thanks for the info and offer, Ryan. I will keep it in mind.

Very nice chassis.

9. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks.

It's for sale, you know . . .[​IMG]

I kid, I kid. :D

Good luck with your project, the mockup looks good.

10. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Finally got my Maynard Troyer and Charlie Jarzombek pictures somewhat sorted out. Sorry for any reposts.

Early Maynard Troyer....

a Bob Snyder picture of his '61 ford at Langhorne courtesy of Joe Blinebury Jr.

[​IMG]

Maynard at speed at Langhorne with the #39 of Al Tasnady I believe....

[​IMG]

at speed again

[​IMG]

in the pits at ?

[​IMG]

Maynard in victory lane

[​IMG]

Maynard #6 at speed at Langhorne chasing the #38 of Jerry Cook

[​IMG]

on the starting Grid at Langhorne....the #16 is Ronnie Wallace I believe not sure who the #36 is or the other car in the photo...

[​IMG]

Maynard in his late model at Spencer Speedway

[​IMG]

Maynard Troyer after a 100 lap victory...not sure where though....

[​IMG]

in the pits at ?

[​IMG]

11. JBull

JBull
    from NY

More early Maynard Troyer....at speed in a Falcon at Langhorne again, I beleive....note the spectators in the background....almost looks like they are standing on scaffolding....

[​IMG]

in the pits at Lancaster I believe with the #9 of Chuck Boos in the background...

[​IMG]

a dapper driving unifrom for Maynard in this photo....

[​IMG]

on the starting grid at Langhorne....

[​IMG]

in victory lane at Fulton?

[​IMG]

a nice close-up in the pits....

[​IMG]

the dapper uniform again....

[​IMG]

another victory in the Falcon...you can see how the car evolved from a longer almost full bodied machine to a much shorter, stouter and sharper modified....

[​IMG]

a lynchmob photo....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  12. JBull

JBull
    from NY

More of Maynard Troyer in his Falcon...

[​IMG]

on the wrong end of the wrecker....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on the trailer...

[​IMG]

looks like this is at speed at Pocono with the pickle man Dick Clark in the 16X

[​IMG]

Pocono again?

[​IMG]

at speed at Islip Speedway with the Scibelli Bros. 7$ Mustang being driven by Al Deangelo and Richie Evans in the #61 coupe....

[​IMG]

in Lancaster victory lane with the crew....

[​IMG]

in the pits at Lancaster....

[​IMG]

13. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Maynard Troyer making his way to the front for his 100 lap All Star victory at Lancaster...tracking down Jerry Cook in the #38 and Rene Charland in the #3....

[​IMG]

Maynard on the pole at Langhorne pacing the field that includes Geoff Bodine in the #99, Merv Treichler in the maroon #58 the blue #3 is Bugs Stevens, it looks like Dutch Hoag in the #7 in row 3 alongside the #69 Hemi Cuda of Jean Guy Chartrand... a Bill Walker photo

[​IMG]

up in smoke at Martinsville it looks like alongside the #12 of Mac Berrier

[​IMG]

14. kt

kt

Thanks JBull and Dr. John.....

There aren't too many pics of Maynard's LM days.

They would fit perfectly on the "Historic Stockcar Photos" thread also.

The 1970 Falcon is my favorite car...nice lines....independent front end

I have a couple of even older pics to dig up.....photos by mom

15. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Nice Job Dr. John. Thanks. Denny Z

16. 4everblue

4everblue

In the seventh photo down, the white car is the #47 driven by Dick Havens. It ran Flemington, East Windsor.

17. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Here some of the Chargin One Charlie Jarzombek....the early years.....John56H started the thread with Charlie J...I'll try not to repeat too many posts....

The car that started it all for Charlie J...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the next car to come along the Bug....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

taking the checkered....already got that familiar "cocked head pose"

[​IMG]

not sure who is in the other car....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the bug restored today by Charlie's brother Ricky....

[​IMG]

Ricky in the restored Bug on the track at Riverhead alond the restored coupe

[​IMG]

and at the Hallockville Farm along with the Wilsberg 5 as well

[​IMG]

18. JBull

JBull
    from NY

On to the coupe years for Charlie J....

This one is an interesting shot from Langhorne. It says that Charlie Jarzombek in the #52 coupe is going out of the track and into the trees. After some scary moments it said Charlie emerged back onto the track and waved to crowd. I don't know if anyone knows anything about this shot. Was that his car renumbered #52 for the open? Was he driving someone else's car?

[​IMG]

at Riverhead

[​IMG]

Another shot from the open at Langhorn...Charlie in the #1, Ed Brunnhoelzl in the Artie King #333?. Max Berrier in the #12?, Rene Charland in the #888? Al Tasnady in the #39?

[​IMG]

in a pile-up at Islip

[​IMG]

A Fred Smith photo from Lanhorne

[​IMG]

in the pits at Islip

[​IMG]

in a familiar place...victory lane....

[​IMG]

at Langhorn again alongside Bill Stroesal in the #15 I believe

[​IMG]

in the pits at Riverhead

[​IMG]

A Ray Masser photo from the open at Langhorn alongside Lee Osborne in the #81

[​IMG]

19. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

And got a lot lower, too....

20. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

Outside front row, #91: Junie Donlavey coupe, usually driven by Sonny Hutchins.

21. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

That shot is taken at Trenton in 1966 and Ed Brunnhoelzl drew out of the hat for the pole and perhaps Mike Grbac in the 7.

22. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

CJ was assigned #52 because there were no duplicate numbers allowed and someone else probably had the #1 already (In fact I think it was Al De Angelo in the Ed Ackerman car that ran #1) . He had the guaranteed spot from Riverhead and qualified very well (I believe 38.006) especially when you consider it was his first race on dirt, the first time at Langhorne in a car that they built in less than 2 months (I seem to recall it was parked in Patchogue) and having only 2 warm up sessions. Had he not had the guaranteed spot he would have started in the front of the consi. Pretty impressive.

Attached Files:

23. Zoera

Zoera

[​IMG]
    This is a photo of Sparky Belmont at Stafford Speedways 1/5 mile oval in 1954. Sparky won six straight features in 1954 at Cherry Park in Avon, CT in this GMC powered modified.
    (photo courtesy of racingthroughtime.com)

[​IMG]
    Another winning modified driven by Sparky at Stafford in the early fifties.
    (photo courtesy of racingthroughtime.com)

[​IMG]
    Sparky Belmont in the Garuti Bros. modified at Riverside Park Speedway in the early sixties.
    (photo originally published in the Riverside Speedway Silver Anniversary edition program)

24. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

The #1 in this crash is Ronnie Thiels car not Charlie J. That car started with a Pontiac Tempest body but Ronnie changed the body to a 37 Chevy. Al De Angelo drove it for a few races but I do not know if Ronnie is driving it in this shot.

The Ace falcon is Bob Holmberg in a sportsman car , the # 8 is George Peters in Frank Arianos car, Jim Hendrickson sideways in Ferrantes 3 looking in George Peters direction. I am unsure who is up against the wall, it is a late model body and may be Frank Mackwich. This is probably 1967 which is 44 years ago, I was 16 and I can remember an impressive amount when I just see a picture.

The other side of my current life involves my going in the garage then misplacing something, looking high & low and then forgetting what I misplaced. Sheesh......

Attached Files:

25. Zoera

Zoera

[​IMG]
    Long Island's Rebel Harris at Riverside Park Speedway in Agawam, Ma. Rebel lost his life in a crash at the popular 1/5 mile oval.
    (photo by Shany)

[​IMG]
    Charlie Brayton at Riverside Park in the beautiful 23 modified. Riverside had some of the best looking modifieds in the country back in the sixties and seventies.
    (photo by Shany)

[​IMG]
    Bobby Bard in the Mopar powered (and bodied) 124 modified at 'The Park'
    (photo by Shany)

26. Zoera

Zoera

[​IMG]
    The multi-time champion Billy Greco at Riverside Park in the famous 43 modified.
    (photo by Shany)

[​IMG]
    Don Spazano in the Richie's Amoco modified at Riverside Park back in the seventies.
    (photo courtesy of racingthroughtime.com))

[​IMG]
    The great Rene Charland at 'The Park'
    (photo unknown)

27. Zoera

Zoera

[​IMG]
    Don Spazano in the '$' Chevy modified at Riverside Park
    (unknown photo)

[​IMG]
    Don Spazano at Plainville Stadium, CT early in his career.
    (photo courtesy of vintagemodifieds.com)

[​IMG]
    Don Spazano having a tough night at Plainville Stadium, CT
    (photo unknown)

28. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Zoera, You sure about that, it looks to me like Danny Galulo in the $ even though it sez someone else on the door. Denny Z

29. petecorey11

petecorey11

A couple of corrections. On thread 10663 - first picture is of the Camerota Auto Parts #22 out of Westfield and Springfield MA, Rebel Harris DID NOT die at Riverside Park. He was killed at Onteora Speedway in Olive Bridge NY when his car flipped and he was thrown out onto the track.

On thread 10665 the first picture is a car driven by Danny Gallulo, not Don Spazano. Just wanted to get correct info out there.

30. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Zoera, Even so, nice pictures. Denny Z

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.