Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOWZ this sound- Please READ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Traditions Racing, Jul 13, 2011.

1. I'm considering coming out of retirement and setting up another engine shop. I would ONLY build HAMB friendly iron. Flatties, Olds, Nailhead and Straight 8's, Y-block etc, Caddy, 100% tradditional. Yes I would do a obscure build such as a Mercruiser 4, Flathead Pontiac 8, Stude, Hudson, Packard, etc., if its talked about here, I would build it. Now when I say engine shop, I mean dyno, full machine shop, flow bench, and clean enough to make your physician envious. That's just me and how I work. I'm in South east Central Florida so consider that too, yes the Midwest would be a much better centralized location, but I'm not moving. Yes the economy is in the toilet this I know, that's not what I'm asking, I can handle the finances. Is there simply enough folks interested in a new shop, of this type. Thank you everyone in advance for the opinions, TR

2. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I would be interested! but I'm on the West Coast... :(

I think its a great idea, and seeing how these days people are more likely to put something a little more obscure in their rides I think you will do just fine!

3. casper

casper

Great idea, but I'm also on the west coast. How about opening up in California?!?!

4. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Babbitt for us traditional hotrodders?

Attached Files:

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like fun. Make money? Not so sure.

6. Thanks guy's, nothing more my wife and our English Bullies and myself would love than to move to Cal. Lets see how this thread pans out, we might have to. Thank you, TR

7. What? No Hemis???:eek:

8. YES for the babbitts, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks Rich, I know a reasonable profit in your state really gets squeezed by all the regulations. The thought of a shop there is much nicer than the reality, TR

9. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

There are a lot of collector cars in Fl so the market should be there. My concern is the total cost of the investement?? Building, machinery, insurance, tools, employees etc. You mentioned being able to handle the finances but after all is said and done would you be able to make 10% or more on your investiment? Stating "another engine shop" why did you leave/quit the first one? Seems like a lot of work and expense to me when comfortably retired as you seem to be. Just my opinion.

10. Just seeing who's REALLY paying attention, of course the HEMI!! :D

11. Thanks for the question Joe, I'm not all that old. Actually a drunk driver helped with my decision to retire early. The nice thing is I dont have to go into another shop with the ambition to take on the world. Just to make some money doing what I love, its complicated lets just say that. I still have much left from my old business, and even some partners to invest if needed, thank you for asking, TR

12. MXrider13

MXrider13
    from Florida

You're In Florida thats always a good place, and you have been a HAMBER for a while so I am sure you know all of the clubs, ask all of them.

13. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

How much to babbit a Model A, add counterweights, balance it with pressure plate and a drilled crank?

14. To all my fiends here at the HAMB, no one needs to tell me about the $300,000 or more just to buy tooling and machinary, this is far from my first rodeo. This is more of a Location and Demand question and thread topic. I could start building 540, 555, 565, 570's tommorrow, I'm not interested. I have people who do Cobra kit cars I could build big and small block Fords for, again not interested. I have been watching the threads for several years and still wonder if the demand is here in the south for traditional engines only. Please keep the location /demand for the product input coming, thank you all, TR :D

15. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Might get work from us Georgia HAMBers. Good banger work is hard to come by.

16. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I honestly don't think that you'll have the demand. That you think you may. You'd be better off staying retired and doing piece work under the table for cash. To throw the $300k that you state at something like this and depend on the Traditional movement, who would be considered finicky at best would be to put too many eggs in one basket.

Lots of cars have been coming up for sale, lots of parts are selling much cheaper than ever before, and lots of people walking the shows instead of driving. That all tells me one thing, that tradiational hot rods and the nostalgia car world in general are currently shinking. Blame it on whatever you want, but it's the same. Are you ready to risk it all on a shrinking clientel? Other question.... aside from your desire to focus your attention to "traditional" motors, what makes you different than any other machine shop? If you don't have a good gimmick or extereme specialty (like Navarro) you are only further limiting your clientel by excluding other potential work.

I have no idea if it's a good idea or not. I could tell you that I would never for a second even consider it for anything further than a hobby or side-work. But then again, I've been wrong a lot of times.

17. outlaw256

outlaw256

well being in n. alabama im always lookin to take a trip out of here,so florida sounds good for me.and what better reason than to pick up one of my flatheads or my pontiac st. 8 thats been sitting in my shop floor for 5 yrs.you got my buisness!

18. plan9

plan9

Its simple... dont talk about it, be about it. You wont know until you open up shop, anything else is just playin' grab ass.

19. anteek

anteek

There is demand here in Florida. For the banger crowd,how about a OHV conversion head.........on a rebuilt short block with pressure oiling and inserts?

20. atomickustom

atomickustom

If your goal is to have a hobby that makes money, I'd say it could fly. If you would also rebuild oddball motors to precise factory-appearing condition for high-end restorations then you just might have found yourself an excellent niche!

21. MyRoaddog

MyRoaddog
    from Tampa Fl

i would be interested and I have a flatty in the garage that is my next one to build. I am in Tampa

22. williebill

williebill

I'd love to see you make this work,especially with all the horror stories about inept builders out there..
    Move to East Tennessee,and I'll sweep your floors and bring you some y block work

23. swissmike

swissmike

You would have had my business doing the machine work on my flattie. Sounds great, but I have no idea if this would be a viable business.

24. This has kept me from having to type out my thoughts, I agree. I would like to have a shop just as you have stated but with very little capital I couldn't do it without a big loan and I like to sleep at night, so I will just have to stick with piece work although it has given me time to enjoy my hobby and also pick and choose who I do engines for. ;)

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

A guy who does that over here is Jim Correia. He does early Cads, V860s, really early 4 cylinder Buicks and such. But he is almost 80 and has been at it for a really long time. And he knows those engines. Been there done that already. Learning on other peoples parts can be very expensive. You could email Jim at [email protected] and ask advice

26. Dyce

Dyce

It's tough making money on the old engines. Time you spend finding parts on some of the oddball stuff is hard to recoupe. I had a machine shop and it's a blast, for a while..... It turns into a job preaty quick. The money is in work you can turn quick. Most of the auto repair shops now install reman now, so most of the engine work is HAMB engines, and racing. Up here there's a market for tractor work(pullers and stock). The babit could get you some of that.

If I were you I would look at the used machines. Lots of them out there and the market is soft. Saddly alot of the machines are getting shipped to Mexican rebuilders. I sold a milling machine to a dealer and that's where that went.

No doubt it would be fun. My advice is buy used and keep a low overhead. Less stress=more fun.

27. Thanks Rich, is Jim on the West Coast? { You never learn on others, that's what shop " mules " are for }. TR

28. If you're doing it as a hobby, and not a profession, it could work out well for you. I'm just spitballing here, but a couple of my thoughts:

First, as a hobby, you could charge less for work. I know you have to cover costs and put a bit of money in your pocket to make it worthwhile, but quality work at a fair price gets around quick. 12 engines at $4000 makes you more than 7 engines at $5000... It might start slow and be a bit tough at first, but I think word would spread.

Second, Florida, like California, is a good year round climate. Means that the hobby doesn't shut down as much as it does up here. Also, in the Winter months, there are a lot more Canadian's/northern American's who take vacations down your way. (I'm assuming) You might be getting guys and gals who bring down and engine with them on the family vacation and then pick it up in the spring.

Third, and I don't know where you're located in relation, but the AMTRAK Auto Train runs from Sanford, FLA to Washington, DC. If business as a result of my first point started picking up, it would be a cheaper means of shipping for the East Coast guys.

Just some thoughts.

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've entertained this same idea since retiring. The problem here is the clientele is so cheap you'd never make enough to keep the doors open. So, all of my equipment sits for the most part just doing my own work.

Frank

30. Thanks Frank fab32, you are one of the ones Ive been waiting to hear from. Since starting this thread I have begun dialog with a gentleman who has been doin machine work for me personally now since my closing of my race shop. He is VERY qualified, and believe me I check his work. That said, if I form an alliance with him, this could really bring this idea to fruition without breaking my bank, and shattering my nerves. This could allow me to do the engineering part and final assembly and I'm sure I have places to lease thier dyno. I would have a small machine shop for the final assembly in house. I'm very sorry you are not very busy, hopefully things will change for you with if the economy ever stabilizes. TR