Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Brian, can't really help you,I don't know if it was but the name on the car says Johnny Parsons.these shots were from a pile of 8 by 10 shots my father had in a old briefcase with some proof sheets and negatives.Maybe someone here with more knowledge can help with identifying who's in the driver seat.....Rich

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, it's JP.

Attached Files:

• jp.jpg
      jp.jpg
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views:
  3. racer5c

racer5c

nope it's JOHNNIE Parsons I don't think Johnny ever drove a roadster unles you count the badger

4. Buildy

Buildy

Rootie,

Spiderman is a Spiderwoman,I think-LOL.

Also,about the car,apparently there were others that copied the Kurtis roadster midget.
    My uncle had one on Long Island that he raced for a very brief time before getting rid of it. It looked like a Kurtis,but it was not one.

5. Old Sprinter

Old Sprinter

I just noticed that. I laughed my ass off.:):eek:

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

And speaking of JP. When you dump your uncaged (un-roll bar'ed for that matter) champ car,turn your fuel tank into a gusher and walk away.... You probably ought to keep on walking--- right on down to the nearest 7-11 and buy a fistfull of Lottery tickets. :)

Attached Files:

7. LOL, I didn't even notice the writing on the side of the car- Johnnie Parsons

8. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Not sure but looks like a car my father drove in 100 lapper at Pine Brook mid 60's; radiator hose came off around lap 80 and he got third degree burns on his shin.

9. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Hey Billy: Was that the Savona roadster?

10. baldtireman

baldtireman

Oh no,Mr Bill!!!!!!;):eek::rolleyes:

11. racer5c

racer5c

this is from the Miller meet anyone want to guess who's grandson this is?

Josh you can't play

Attached Files:

12. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Wonder how long before he could get his jaws unclamped to pull the handkerchief out.
    Don't remember if I shared this before, but the original JP came out to Ventura with a Firebird Trans Am Indy Pace Car right after the 500 (whatever year that was) and did several laps in it at intermission with the tail hung out, and Mrs. P. in the back seat. Jimmy Naylor interviewed him when he got out and JP said, "It's been a few years since I've been around a 1/4 mile that quick."
    You'd never have known it. He still had the touch.

13. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I was looking around at the USAC site and I thought I would pass along what I think is a great deal. USAC is offering the Dick Wallen book "United States Auto Club - Fifty Years of Speed and Glory" for $25.00. This 600 page book of history, photographs and statistics was well worth the original $125.00 published price. The photos are a combination of b/w and color.

Dick Wallen's books are incredible sources of information and I am sure more than a few folks on this thread own the series. I just thought this clearance price from USAC was just too good not to pass along to those folks passionate about the open wheelers.

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

awww!! Come on! :d

15. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

not sure I was 11 or 12 at the time it was white with a gold 8

16. Buildy

Buildy

Roy,

That looks like a 3rd Gen. Hurtibise to me.

17. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I thought I saw a mention on some one else's post of Andy Hurtibise takin a car out for a spin recently........

Attached Files:

18. racer5c

racer5c

It's Andy's son, Jim's Grandson, Justin Hurtubise

19. sramoa

sramoa

[​IMG]

Somebody have any info this car and driver?
    ID think:1951 Chariton,IA Sappo car

20. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

That is the Keith Sapp Ford V8 special, ran Mississippi Valley and IMCA events late forties/early fifties with various drivers, like Johnny Joy, Keith Saylor, Guy Lindsey and Red Ballow.

21. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

I got to meet Justin, Andy and you, Roy, at Milwaukee, and have to say it was a real pleasure! Hope to see you again, maybe next year! :)

22. racer5c

racer5c

Hope you had a great time Michael! It was nice to meet you.

23. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

We were pleased to have Michael spin some laps in the Bob Dicks #98 Watson roadster and the carl s #15 "Boyle Valve Spl." Miller.

Also glad that Michael scored a nice "Ray Kuns" book at the silent auction

Hope to see you again next year, Michael!!!

Attached Files:

24. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

If you were "pleased" to have me run the cars, mac, that is nothing compared to me being pleased about getting these opportunities in the first place!! :) :) Thanks for all the track time, and yes, I was definitely having a ball!!! :cool: :D

25. gearguy

gearguy

This hardly looks 1951/55 to me. 61/65 maybe but not earlier.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1951...ce_Cars_Not_Street_Legal_&hash=item4cf868d09a

Anyone recognize this car? It looks "right" for a mid-1960s sprint car based on the Z-link rear suspension and 4 bar design. I can't tell for sure from the photos but it seems to be a space frame. Were space frames used in the early 1950s?

No one wants to interfere with a guy's selling his toys but mislabeling results in lots of history being lost.

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Further down in the listing it says it was built by Trevis in the early 60s. May just have made a mistake in the title :confused:

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Good lookin car for a "roller".. (Carb, Fan, Alternator.. basically gonna throw away most the engine) :cool:

28. baldtireman

baldtireman

That car,if it is what I think it is,has a LOT of history in western Penna. and northern West Virginia. Quarterson,Jacoby,Tallman,and McCauley were all big winners for years in this area!:D

29. easter

easter

Yep, as soon as I saw the first photo I knew it was a Trevis. Ralph Quarterson and Gene Tallman used to race with my dad at Parkersburg, Marietta, Pennsboro, Athens, Debo, Dobbies, Heidelberg, etc. I always loved those Trevis cars. Larry Dickson and J.D. Leas drove the Long Bros. Trevis. My dad drove for Bob Howell. I think Tommy Dickson drove a Trevis car, too. Dad went into central PA a few times, and there were a bunch of Trevis cars there. Mid to late 60's in western PA, southern Ohio, and northern WV, man those were the days. Thats a Trevis in my photo on the left. Luke at Winchester.

30. gearguy

gearguy

Cars also seem to "lose" their history when sold out of their original area of operation. I'm guilty of this myself as I'm putting an ex-Harry Weed Edmunds-VW together. It has its original paint & decals on it but ARDC &NEMA don't mean much to Midwesterners. I've promised Harry that I'll bring "Grandpa's Toy" back East for a visit some day.

If and when I find a 1980 vintage wing for it I'll have to tow half way thru Pennsylvania before I dare put it on the car.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

BTW: Our old Hamburger-Chevy II had that same style "IMCA" hoop over the nose. Anyone know when they came into use?