Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs George Barris' 36 Cabriolet??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groovybaby6, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I saw this on the Hot Rod Hotline, in Healdsburg, California someone has a stash of cars and this '36 Ford Cabriolet look a lot like George Barris' '36!!

Attached Files:

2. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Here's a pic of the real car.

Attached Files:

3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Interesting. Top seems chopped more, but that doesn't mean anything. Could just be the photo too.

4. csclassics

csclassics

Hmmmmm, sure does.

5. selohssa

selohssa

6. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Hey Ed! I like the avatar!

7. Ed, you may have a weener.

8. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I should just e-mail that pic to Brett & Joji and have them show it to George and see what he says.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting, If it isn't the actual car it looks like it had some influence from Georges car. Wish it was sitting in my garage instead of that back yard though.

10. Rikster

Rikster

Well it looks like a 1936 Ford with a cut hole for an inset license plate and chopped top. It looks like so many that where built in the late 30's early 1940's. And the inset lisence plate was done by more than one builder.
    I doubt if it is the George Barris 36 Ford Cabriolet.

The inset license plat on George his Ford looks (and most likely was) nicely finished and had round corners. The one on this car is just a cut hole.

And as mentioned before the chopped winshield looks not to be the same. And then there is some body metal at the top of the passenger compartment that looks like this was once a coupe?

Now if there was a photo of the cars doors and was the beltline filled as it was on George his car... perhaps then it possibly could have been this car. But even then!

The car in the photo would however be a perfect start for a perfect early style custom!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  11. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

The license plate area looks a little different but it also looks like it's been reworked because probably the lead fell apart and it was patched up but the plate recess is in the exact place as George's. It's hard to tell what the length of the chop is from that angle. It's also a trunk just like George's was.

12. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Heavier chop , looks cool !

13. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

George looked at the picture and couldn't tell. He said he needs to see the front. I wish the photog had taken the front end, if it had the Pontiac hood sides and the Nash grille, we'd know for sure!

14. Rikster

Rikster

Perhaps you can ask the guy who posted the photo on the HotRodHotLine site to send you a few more. Filled in beltlines on the doors will tell it all. The hood sides and grille can be swapped... but the filled beltlne is something only two cars had done as far as I know.

15. boxboy

boxboy

I can confirm that it is NOT the barris car as the owner of the car from the hotrodhot line is a friend of mine and he bought it from another friend of his who purchased it up here in the northwest in the early 1980s and it was stock bodied at that time.The only modification to it was the license plate hole cut in the tailpan.The car had been in this area for a very long time and was painted a dark metallic green and it was NOT chopped or channeled like it is now and the upper door lines were NOT leaded in i hope this clears up alot of confusion.

16. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks for the update, now we know for sure.