Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 54 chevy build begins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kdrodworks316, May 9, 2011.

1. is that how the notch was shipped to you with the top and bottom attached or welded

2. Superfly

Superfly
    from Minnisota

Hey I have a perfect front grill for you and a bumper the car is going to the crusher in the next week or so but was going to save as much as i can is there anything you need ???

Send me a pm Jaime

3. The_Monster

The_Monster

^^ why are you sending a classic to the crusher??????

4. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

No, it was shipped as 8 pieces. I just fit it all together and mocked it up to make sure of the fit, then burned the side plates to the top plate. I want a nice clean look, easier to get out of the car. The Gambino stuff fits perfectly, just like it should.

5. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

Well I was inspired to tackle some of the wiring today, so instead of cutting floor out of the trunk, I wired the key switch and turn signal switch. I may tackle the headlight switch later this evening. I gotta get a starter in so I can finish the wiring and get all the systems hooked up. Going to bolt in the battery box in the trunk and use a speedway battery cable kit to run it up to the starter. I'm going to guess that 54 chevs are 6 volt, so I think I'm going to need a voltage reducer for the gauges?

6. The_Monster

The_Monster

Youll need a Runtz voltage reducer for the fuel gauge only if the gauges are all stock. The rest of them are manual. Theres a few 6v-12v conversion threads on here, or you can pick up the 6v-12v conversion booklet. Its very handy!

7. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

Thanks Monster, I'm using an all new 12v harness with stock gauges. Will the battery gauge handle 12v?

8. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

Well I stole a few more parts from my sons 27 T, the brake line kit has a new home. 3 braided lines turned into replacing all the steel lines and fittings. I figured brakes are no place to cut corners. I'm attempting to keep the stock master cylinder and plumb the proper brake system for front disc brakes around it. I know I should use a dual master, but its just not in the budget at the moment. I'm designing the system around using a dual master when the wallet allows. I started at the rearend and worked forward, replacing everything from the wheel cylinders forward. I added an adjustable prop valve and 10 psi residual pressure valve into a T fitting, from there I will form a new line around the xmember to the master. Moving forward out of the master I will split the front lines and cross over the suspension member to the pass side, using a 2psi residual valve before the split. It should work just fine till I can upgrade to a dual master, should be an easy swap, basicly plug and play when its time.

I'm taking the car to a buddies shop next weekend to finish the notch and suspension, weld up the motor mounts and xmember. I will snap lots of pictures for ya'all. I'm guessing that we can wrap the suspension up in a weekend. With any luck, I should be able to drive it home after its trailer trip to the shop.

9. The_Monster

The_Monster

Regarding the battery gauge: If you have an original AMP gauge, it only reads AMPs, not voltage. This will be fine the way it is.

10. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

Can't wait to see the sled progress!!! good luck with your build. you are off to a good start.

11. if your asking about the amps gauge it reads amps not voltage so it will work without modifacation

12. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

Thanks for the info on the gauges, I wasnt sure on the amp gauge, mine just says battery, not amps or volts.

13. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

Ok, I'm sure everyone wants an update on what I've been up to the last 5 days. I will let the pics do the talking and say that my Gambino kit isnt sitting on my living room floor anymore, enjoy! I will post the breakdown of the fab after I get the pics uploaded.......

Attached Files:

14. What part of Idaho you from? And if you don't mind me asking what part of Washington did you go to?

15. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

If you are running all new brake lines anyway go ahead and run the dual master cylinder.You have shown some fab skills already,so make your own mount.I found this pic searching brakes for my 51.You can use a $20 camaro master cylinder and $5 worth of steel from homedepot to do it.Just cut the end of your stock master off and fab up the little bracket to mount the cylinder.lengthen you stock pushrod and BAM a dual mastercyliner in your ride on the cheap.By the way nice ride.Eddy

Attached Files:

16. sololobo

sololobo

Lookin real good bro, keep it up and take it easy on yourself, can't keep catchin the mill with your hand. Love the 54's ~sololobo~

17. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

Awesome thread. Keep up good work. I'm subscribed.

18. Gabriel Howard

Gabriel Howard
    from OKC
    1. Okie Hambers

looking good, ive subscribed

19. hotdamn

hotdamn

What I did with mine was I mounted a dual resi 70's vette m/c behind my stock one with 1/4" and flat stock broke one end of it over so that I had a flat surface to mount to the frame for more bite when I welded it on, I also made a tab at the top that mounted to my k-member so it didn't flex (leaned that the hard way)

anyways, you want to line it up so that when you hollow out your stock m/c you can run a push rod all the way through your stock one into your new one, make sense?

its super easy and it allows you to have a dual set up and keep everything under the floor!

the pia part is making the access panel because it will want to fall in the center of a brace...

but you can do it:D

20. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

I'm from south east idaho, near yellowstone park. I havent been to Washington in awhile, I dont get out much.

21. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

Thanks for the tech Ed, I just built a bracket for a dual master. I was in on of those moods to create something cool. I will post up some pics ASAP

22. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

All I can say is, good hell 54 chevys have alot of holes in them! Maybe I should have just left all the trim on. It seems like the grinding and welding will never end. Heres a couple pics for ya'all to enjoy......

Attached Files:

23. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Looking very good, your moving along fast and doing all the right things.
    Nice build!
    MrC.

24. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

Ok, all the holes are welded up and ground smooth, YAY! So I moved onto the trunk floor. Cut it all out and started fresh. I'm going to fab in the stock fuel tank so its raised off the ground a bit, ditch the spare tire well, and fab in a battery box and compressor mount for dual viair's. Heres a couple pics of the progress so far......

Attached Files:

25. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

Ok, its been a couple weeks since I gave an update, cuz I been slammin ass trying to finish this car! Im not showing anymore pics till the trunk and floor are done, and with any luck, that will be wrapped tomorrow. The trunk is done except for mounting the tank, battery, and compressors. Im building some covers under the back seat to hide the upper 4 link bars, then moving on to the driveline tunnel. should have it whipped tomorrow night. Wish me luck......

26. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Subscribed! this so far is a kick ass build man!

27. Good job, lovin' it!

Klaus

28. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

sweet ride man

29. DMacias

DMacias
    from So Cal

Very nice! Keep the pics coming!

30. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien