Register now to get rid of these ads!

hello with question

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by m_boone, Jul 12, 2011.

1. m_boone

m_boone
    from New Jersey

Hi,

I am going to look at a 55' Tbird this weekend. Seller says he doesn't know if engine is a 292 or original to the car. He did say that the transmission (3 speed) is not original but that he has the orig auto trans. Not sure what type of transmission is currently in it but wondering what you folks think about it.

Anything I should look for when looking at the car besides rust and body damage? He is selling pretty cheap compared to comparable Tbirds.

If I buy it I would plan to completely rebuild it to a retromod not original.

Any thoughts/comments are greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

I like the multi-carb setup. It appears to be fairly clean considering I am only looking at a couple of pics. Around here, top dollar for a completed, restored 57 Bird is 30k. 55s are usually less being the first year for this body style. Extra points ($) if it has the 312 engine. All in all, it looks like a nice candidate for your project unless overpriced. Buy with your head, not your heart!

3. Good luck. If you don't want to get eaten alive by the shark maybe try an introduction with your name and such. Just a heads up.

Welcome and hope things go well with deal.

4. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

the 55's were all 292's ... 312 came in 56 & 57. A genuine, factory Thunderbird engine has a cast spacer between the water pump and the front cover ... about 3/4" or so thick painted engine color, as I recall.

Barry

5. m_boone

m_boone
    from New Jersey

Thanks for the replies. I guess I must have jumped the gun (false start) starting out with my question. Thanks for the warning about the sharks, Tatooed11Bravo!

My name is Mike Boone. About ten years ago I had 56' Mercury Monterey. I was all original (rebuilt engine and tranny) including the paint which was faded here and there but in surprisingly good condition. Well, at that time I couldn't afford to store it and I lived in an apartment so I sold it (much too cheap). Anyway, I've missed that car since then and now I have room and money for another classic. I was originally looking for a 56 or 57 Buick Roadmaster but I came across the Tbird which, if everything checks out, is a very good deal. (10K) I'm just worried that it may be a little too good of a deal and that is why I posted my questions.

Anyway, thanks hozem396 and harryvanhook for your tips and guidance. I will let you know how it went.

Does anyone know what kind of intake/carbs those are in the picture and whether they are very reliable and about how much increase in horsepower they provide? Would it be expensive/difficult to swap them out for stock set up or perhaps dual 2x4 Holleys?

6. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

welcome from utah , goodluck on your purchase