Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Dirtbag 51 Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyEd, Mar 8, 2011.

1. fbama73

fbama73

Mine still had the drum retaining clips on the rear, too. And as crappy as everything inside them was- I believe it!

Add me to the "love that chop" crowd, too.

2. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Thanks guys.Tommy really showed his ass when he chopped it.That is why I backed out on HOTDAMN when I had it forsale(sorry Del).I knew I would never get another one that I liked so good.

3. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Got a few more parts for it this weekend.Picked up a 70 nova rearend and a set of drop spindles.The rotors,calipers and everything else for the front should be sitting in the shop by the weekend.Only thing I need now is to modify the S10 5 spd. to go in the car.I also will need the clutck,pressure plate and bearing.Hopefully it will be road ready in a month or so.

Attached Files:

4. Congrats on the dream car. I know it feels good. Looks good and I am tuned in so please keep the pics coming. Looks great

5. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

Sweet ride subscribed

6. hotdamn

hotdamn

I appreciate that bro, but as bummed as I was I understand...

and hey I wound up with a 49 merc anyways so its all good:D

your ride looks great bro, keep it up!!!

oh and I know some one who has got every patch panel you could need for this thing, pm me and I'll hook you up!

7. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

DirtyEd, you are off to a great start. Im going to subscribe so keep u posted.

8. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Finally it begins!I now have the Dirtbag in the shop and on jackstands.The front clip is off and ready to pull the motor.The motor and complete drive train is forsale cheap.I have to work 7 straight days before I can get anymore work done,but at least its started.FINALLY!

Attached Files:

9. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

I am thinking about doing the trim on my car this way.It is the trim from a fleetline/fastback or what ever you call it.Mine has rust issues where the belt trim goes to the back window.I am thinking the same way as the burgandy car and stopping it at the back of the side window.I can do the sheetmetal work on the quater and under the back window myself,so it be be cheaper that way also.What do yall think?

Attached Files:

10. BadLuck

BadLuck

great looking chop! you"re going to have some fun with this car :)

11. jipp

jipp

first, this is turning into a sweet project. the chop is perfect, looking at the picture of your car.. i think i see the rust you are talking about and if i understand, you are saying use the trim from the fast back car. if this is what you mean i like the look. on the burgundy car it seems unfinished to me how the trim just sorta drops off at the window.

and one last question.. there is a vw shell in the back ground of one of your pictures. what year? i grew up with baja bugs.. a 69 baja bug with a link pin front beam, and growing up in Oregon i wanted heat so i just used a ford 2.3 turbo charged out of a tbird for the power. type 2 tranny etc.. was my first car.. safe to say once you are connected to a bug at 16 you are a air cool bug lover for life. so much fun. :) no matter what iv used to power them over the years. i have a bad leg now so no more sticks shifts for me anymore shatterd my left leg, they gave me a fake knee in 2004 and im only 36 laughs.... so sad to say the 68 California style vw bug I converted to a baja bug with a snappy duel port... some webbers was my last vw bug ill have had the pleasure of owning/building. to bad the auto stick sucks.. owell my next project is gonna be a t bucket i hope to s tart this fall. this will be my first experience with a build with something other than building baja bugs.. excited and scared at same time.. lets face it bugs are simple.. :) but have always wanted a t bucket since i was a teen.... so yeah damn the years sure have gone by fast. haha. i think i can remember being 15.. seems like was just yesterday laughs. anyhow gonna be following your dream car.. never met a vw owner i did not like. :)

12. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Thanks for the input.I still have not decided what i am going to do.As far as the VWs go,I am a died in the wool fan.I have had them since I was 14(now 39).I am on the hunt for me another 67 sunroof car now.I have almost everything but time to finish my 51.The 67 will hit the shop next.My younger brother,who I share the shop with,has a quick 71 super.I have a 2276 and rancho trans sitting in the shop now waiting on a car to stick it in.

If you really want another bug you can install a fully automatic trans from a bus into a bug.I have used these in the past on some trike build for other people.It can be done with out loosing to much rear seat space.Good luck with the bucket.Eddy

13. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Thanks for the input.I still have not decided what i am going to do.As far as the VWs go,I am a died in the wool fan.I have had them since I was 14(now 39).I am on the hunt for me another 67 sunroof car now.I have almost everything but time to finish my 51.The 67 will hit the shop next.My younger brother,who I share the shop with,has a quick 71 super.I have a 2276 and rancho trans sitting in the shop now waiting on a car to stick it in.

If you really want another bug you can install a fully automatic trans from a bus into a bug.I have used these in the past on some trike builds for other people.It can be done with out loosing to much rear seat space.Good luck with the bucket.Eddy

14. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Well bad as I hate to,I going to sell the dirtbag..I got fired today after 14 years...It is in the classifieds.Please read the last post.They canned me for to much time on the internet.Bet yall cant guess where most of my time was spent.

15. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

16. robleticia

robleticia

Man that sucks! Sorry to hear that, I was enjoying watching this car.

17. el shad

el shad

That BLOWS man. Good luck finding another gig.

18. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Well its time for a little update on the car.I priced it and had no takers.I am really glad that it did not sell.I have since found another job and will be back on the car soon.It is headed back top Moores Hotrods on the 17th to get some rust fixed and finish up the details on the chop.I have everything to finish the air ride and only need a clutch kit to install the S10 5spd.I am hoping to have the car in primer and on the road by spring.The paint and detail to come next winter.Pics to follow!

19. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

This is why I cant get any work done on my car.My younger brothers 66 chevy truck going together.It is now getting a porter built clip and 4 link rear.It is amazing how much room a truck disassembly can take.

Attached Files:

20. Smokey2

Smokey2

CONGRATS "Dirt"..............I loveit when a plan comes together !

Yea, Keep the thread a'goin............. Thanks :)
    Smoke'

21. robleticia

robleticia

BTTT for the build that's back on track!!!!!