Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the dumbest thing you've heard at a parts store?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratticis, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5window

5window

No man, the question was "What's the dumbest thing you've ever heard in a parts store", not "how dumb were you in a parts store".

Having recently been overseas and not speaking their language very well, I was pleased and amazed how many common folks spoke MY language. And I appreciated that the ignorant one in that situation was me.

2. Just buy it by the foot and cut it to the length you need yourself. It's not very hard to cut.

3. hahaha..sounds like some shit you would hear at the NAPA my pops works at..

4. RichG

RichG

It was probably something about you being a dumbass, don't worry about it...

5. rawkie

rawkie

was picking up some parts for my 54 and some dude told me there was no such thing as a 54 belair with a post, they only made hardtop belairs, i love know-it-alls

6. I pulled into the local parts store with the 26 the other night, a couple of them were out side having thier tobacco fix. The 26 has a 292 Comp Cam, nothing to sneeze at. We of course they all gather around and ask about the engine, the carb, the heads, and of course the cam, and I went on to tell the main guy that it was one of my favorite " secret " grinds. This guy not really knowing who I am, said, " so you adjusted the carb to idle that way " , and walked away like he was ticked off.

7. A few weeks ago I stop by Auto Zone here in Tempe AZ to get 6 quarts of oil to change in my 1932 Roadster Lincoln V12 motor. As soon as I entered the store the kid behind the counted ran outside to look at the car and came back in a few minutes later and asked me if it was a V8 Flathead I told him it was a Lincoln V12 the kid looked at me as if I was lying to him he than told me it could not be as you only have 4 exhaust pipes on each sides I told him the center exhaust share two pistons each. I told him did you count the spark plugs as well.

Frenchy

8. dalesdeadbug

dalesdeadbug
    from cincinnati

try ordering parts for a 1972 honda n600 two cylinder sedan, surprisingly ive had a little bit of luck at the honda dealership.

9. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Translation.... A catalytic converter for a 1979 Buick Electra 225:D

10. screwloose

screwloose

Last winter i went to my local O'reilly's get brake parts for my 47 chev before work and the old timer behind the counter told me they only carry parts into the late sixties. Or thats what the computer tells him. A 18-20 something kid my age already had the big dusty book out and writing down the part #'s for me. He even had all the parts there and ready when i stopped after work. Who said all the young kids are all brain dead?

11. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Having been a "real" parts guy for 23 years, Ive seen and heard just about everything here. I loved when the smart ass customer would come in asking for a muffler bearing. You would have loved the expression on their faces when I said, "no problem, I have one right here" then I would reach under the counter and grab the "muffler bearing" which was really an "A6" wheel bearing wrapped by a muffler clamp.....

12. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Yeah, the spark plug trick doesn't always work - could be a diesel or a twin spark engine. Hell, at least he knew enough about engines that it looks somewhat like a Flathead V8. Siamese exhaust ports aren't all that common really.

13. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

For some reason, Nissan refers to the donut gasket between the header and the rest of the exhaust as a "bearing." I told this to a coworker and he started laughing and said, "so you actually have a muffler bearing!" I guess so!

14. Roadsire

Roadsire

I went to see Manny Moe and Jack for a rear brake hose on my 61 Chevy truck, after waiting in line for 30 minutes the pimple faced kid got an attitude because it wasn't in the computer and he would have to look it up in the book and he was too busy. So I asked if he had a muffler for a 2006 Chevy truck, he looked it up on the computer and said he had it in stock, he proceeded to go down the aisle climb up the ladder stairs and pull it off the shelf. when he got to the counter I asked if he could open it, he pulls it out of the box and asks me if it was the right one? I replied hell if I know I don't own a 2006 Chevy truck I own a 61 and needed a rear brake hose. :cool:

15. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went to Auto Zone for a new cap and rotor, they told me they had a cap in stock in multiple options but that my truck did not use a rotor. I asked him if I walked out to my truck and pulled it off if that would help him in any way. All I got was a blank stare!!!

16. 400 4spd.

400 4spd.

Last month I go into Advance and ask the high school kid for w/s wiper blades for my 2002 Ford Expedition. There was no book at the rack, so I was forced to ask. He asks me "What engine, 4.6 or 5.4?" I asked if he was serious. He said yes. As a challenge to think, I said it won't matter, pick one. He said "I need to know." I said the windshield doesn't care which engine is under the hood.
    Whatever engine he picked worked, and the blades fit.
    I got lucky, I guess.

I suppose 2WD and 4WD wipers must be the same. also.:D

17. I had a guy tell me they didn't have RN12YC spark plugs at Murray's once. As I was looking over his shoulder at a shelf full of them... I advised him of that, and he said that the computer showed none, so he didn't have them. After REPEATED requests to turn around and LOOK for himself, I told the guy he was basically an idiot (not so nicely, of course) and walked out. Never went back either. Now it's an O O O O'reilly's, so I can't imagine the fun we'll have now. :rolleyes:

JK

18. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

When my wife was a kid her brother sent her down to the local small town parts store to pick up a quart of turmoil. The counter guy new right away who set her up and had a good laugh.

19. RacerRose

RacerRose

Exact same thing happened to my Dad several years ago. He needed them for his 81 Pontiac Wagon. Dad was furious. The "kid" working the counter says "I need the info for the system, it won't show me where they are."

20. 5window

5window

That's not the kid's fault. That's the fault of the system programmers who never actually worked at the job they're writing software for.

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.