Register now to get rid of these ads!

Needed- Camshaft for Continental Flathead 6 engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billmarkviii, Jul 12, 2011.

1. billmarkviii

billmarkviii
    from dallas

I am still fighting with this antique Clark forklift to try and breath new life into it. It runs ( OK, ran ) an F209 Continental 6 cylinder flathead engine.

The latest discovery is that the camshaft has broken and badly worn distributor drive teeth on it. I doubt it would make sense to try and find someone to weld and remachine the gear in the middle of the shaft so I need a usable old one.

This engine uses a gear drive camshaft with these markings on it:
    F209 400 Atlas 19 MS
    and it has a hole bored into the end for the governor shaft that we could do without.

Anybody have one laying around? Know where I might find one?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Try Hemmings Motor News mixed parts section or Services. I think I saw someone with OEM camshafts.

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

A Google search for Continental F226 turns up a few places that have rebuilding parts..some are forklift parts suppliers :D
    It appears the Continental 209 may be the same basic block as the 226 engine used for 50's Willys pu trucks and Kaiser cars.If nothing else,you might want to contact vintage Jeep suppliers.

4. mrpowderkeg

mrpowderkeg

I think teledyne still makes parts for them. I rebuilt a 4 cyl continental engine for a early '50s towmotor forklift. About the only thing I couldn't find was the front timing cover gasket, and spent about 3 hours cutting one from gasket material.

5. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

We've got an old F-140 in a haybine, distributor out the side like found, not out the top of the head.

Wis-Con Total Power on Democrat Rd over in Memphis used to be the place for Continental and Wisconsin parts, but unsure about the present day.

Montes Equip is another very good place.
    http://www.montesequipment.com/index.html

Foley is another I have used in the past.
    http://www.foleyengines.com/Default.aspx

Are there no forklift companies in the Dallas area? Probably find one used.
    Tom S. in Tn.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

[email protected] had one of those engines he wanted to sell recently. He is in San Jose, Ca. About 3 blocks from Ebay.

7. billmarkviii

billmarkviii
    from dallas

Thanks for the tips, I've contacted via email the 2 firms suggested and will call some local fork truck companies in the outskirts of town.

8. garcoal

garcoal

just a wild idea try the local clark dealership. they used that motor for years. and i bet it is still supported by the forklift people