Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Chevy front drum tapered bearing kit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smallblock56, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Smallblock56

Smallblock56
    from Texas

2. squirrel

squirrel

heh...neat ad. They seem to think you have a straight axle front end?

Ball bearings work fine for me, but I suppose it's good to spend money?

3. Smallblock56

Smallblock56
    from Texas

I got a chuckle out of that straight axle front end as well Squirrel. Thats why I was curious if anyones used it. Nuff said..I think I'm just gonna keep it real with the original ball bearings..thanks.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  4. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

Opps, we copied the text from our Chevy truck bearing kit. It has been corrected.

5. Smallblock56

Smallblock56
    from Texas

Damn Hottweelz.....that was quick. So I guess this kit will work for my 54 210? I see it comes with all bearings, races and seals correct? Is there anything else I will need for this conversion? I must say, this price is tough to beat. I did some searching today for the original style ball bearings(inner and outer), races, and seals and everything I found cost more than this kit. I even priced the local auto parts store and it was $30 more.

6. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

It will work great on your 210. We will not have more sets for about 2 weeks.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I'd clean up the old bearings and see how they look. The inners usually are fine, sometimes the outers get worn (pits, flaking, etc) and need to be replaced. The inners are the most expensive ones. I've had to replace one inner in 30+ years of driving old trucks with the original style ball bearings. The outers I've had to replace more often. Having wider wheels probably doesn't help though.

If the old ones are getting tired, or you just like new stuff, then go for it. But don't be afraid of the ball bearings just because they're old technology...they do still work.