Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear end issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by espi1, Jul 11, 2011.

1. espi1

espi1

I was given a new Currie 8" rear end with a 2.79 ratio(ring 39 teeth, 14 pinion teeth) a while back and I think it may not work for what I what. The reason is because I have a rebuilt 350 engine with a 282 degree cam, stroker kit, with about 350-400 horsepower along with a 350 turbo transmission with about a 2500 stall, and I was told that the car would have a sluggish start because of the rear ratio. I'm not too educated in this field, but I am trying build a cruiser with not too crazy of a start that will be comfortable on the freeway. The question is if I should keep the 8" and change the gears or just get a whole new rear end for my 48 Chevy. Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. jjflash67

jjflash67
    from Ohio

Easiest way is to contact the cam manufacturer and tell them what you have including tire size and they'll tell you what you need for gears.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Might work, might not work...kinda depends on whether or not you like it. Cam company will tell you to run 3.73-4.11 gears :)

but I have 2.75 gears in my 55 with a cam that size...of course I have a big block and a blower too, which really helps the low end torque.

Also depending on how the converter works, it might be slipping a bit at highway speeds...since you'll probably be running about 70 mph at 2500 rpm, depending on tire size

4. espi1

espi1

thank you guys for the help..i'll post the progress