Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the dumbest thing you've heard at a parts store?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratticis, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I worked on a Hall-Scott engine in a vintage heavy tow truck. I could stick my head in a cylinder bore! No joke.:eek:

2. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

15 or so years ago, went in to a chain parts store to get something for my '57 Chrysler 300... Counter guy asks me if that was a truck. I gave him the 1000 yard stare, and he says "like a Ford F-350?" :rolleyes:
    Wow...

3. grumpy50

grumpy50

in this day and age with desk tops so prevalent at the counter , you have the usual 100 questions to establish what it is you drive . Then when asking for plugs for a V-8 the counter person asks how many you need .

4. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

I broke down at Scottsdale GG's and traced it to the ballast resistor. Got a ride to the parts store and the young man told me that I would have to go to Home Depot as they didn't carry ballast resistors.
    Mike

5. That a 1/4" fuel line is actually bigger than a 3/8" fuel line.

6. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Maybe you're buying extras so you can index them!

7. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

the little asshole at the counter told me that the computer only calculates the price for a foot and while he can hand me 1 1/2 feet, the computer will charge me for 2 feet!

8. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Yeah, that's a real knee-slapper. Almost as funny as the guy who calls the zoo each year on April Fool's Day and asks to speak to Mr.Lion ... oh, that was you?!

9. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

So the guy at the counter is the asshole? It's the company and their computer system that charges you for 2 feet. He's either an asshole if he charges for 2 feet, or he's fired if he charges for 1.

10. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Are tell them your lookin' for a radiator for you 66 VW Bug... lol

11. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I just like the dumb look on their faces when I come in, slap the greasy dead part down on their counter and say "Gimme one of these"... Most of them couldn't tell the difference between a short SBC water pump and a Peterbilt transmission.

12. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

lol!

13. greybeard360

greybeard360

I went to Chief Auto Parts once.... ONCE

Told the geek behind the counter I wanted 8 Champion N9Y plugs.

He asked what they fit.

SO I told him a 65 Chevelle.

He said that doesn't come up in the computer.

I said I know.... it didn't come in that car and they never used N9Y's from the factory, it is a colder plug.

He asked "colder? .... is that so you can take it out when the motor is hot?"

I left... never went back.

I sold parts for over 30 years. I don't think I was EVER that dumb!

14. Or the counter monkey could tell the customer I'm required to sell it by the foot... would you like 2 feet sir?

Indexing the plugs... now that is giving the counter monkey quite a bit of credit

Skankin your trying too hard to take this personally

We have a few local parts professionals at various stores, they often have a line of guys waiting. I've seen 2 counter monkeys lines empty and 4 customers stacked up waiting on the old pro. It was a shame to watch counter monkeys stare out the window rather than try and learn something from the pro. (the monkey said staring out the window pays the same)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  15. darkk

darkk

I was told at the parts department of our local Chevrolet dealership, that Chevy never made a 409 cu in motor...:D

16. 53Rags

53Rags
    from BC Canada

Lordco Auto Parts in Kelowna ...

Walked up to a counter guy and said; "I need a rebuild kit for a Rochester Model BC single barrel carb. The kit number is ..." The guy averts his eyes, throws his hands up in the air, waving them in front of his face saying; "No, no, no, I only know injectors." and walks away quickly like I was a leper brandishing rattle snakes in my hands.

The other guy at the far end of the counter laughs and waves me down - they had two kits in stock.

17. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I just had to post this: I went to Auto Zone to get some anti-freeze, oil, etc. for replenishing my shelf stock, just happened to be replacing a water pump, hoses and belt on an OT original drive train 46 CJ2A Jeep. I knew it was a shot in the dark to start with but I thought I'd get a radiator cap for it just because it was old....still holding...but old. So I tell the young man behind the computer...computer is the key word here that I need a radiator cap for a 1946 CJ2A Jeep, after a few minutes of confused looks at his screen he asked who makes it? I replied Willys...a few more minutes and he ask how to spell Willys...OK an honest mistake here.. he was spelling it Willies, no problem I told him W-I-L-L-Y-S is the correct spelling but it is actually correctly pronounced "Willis" after a few more confused looks he said I don't find anything under W-I-L-L-I-S .....OK another honest mistake I tried make conversation with the correct pronunciation and confused him..with a little patience we finally got Willys into the computer, he now informs me that a 1946 CJ2A Jeep does not take a radiator cap...confused I said "really" so I show him the old one I brought along hoping he would try to match it up, he apparently was not having any part of a wild goose chase for a non-existent radiator cap..he then turned the computer screen towards me and showed me where it said N/A "Not Applicable" he said...so I suggested that maybe it means "Not Available" because my jeep believe it or not has a radiator cap...boy was I in the wrong place for a old jeep part...like I said it was a shot in the dark to start with.:D

18. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

You'd have to live under a fuckin' rock not to know that----

19. LMS1

LMS1

Next time, try this. Fast delivery too.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=6p33t90sq6352hp1uk35qe3893

20. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

Amen, this quote sums this up perfectly. (you know......"hambers" have a rep as being traditionalist snobs, I wonder why?) A doctor can do the same thing at a drug store....or a computer programmer at a radio shack etc. etc.
    Working with these counter people is a pain, and they do and say some stupid things sometimes, and I enjoy messing with them a little bit, but I always try to lighten up and help them help me find what I need. Take a look at some at some of the people and questions they have to deal with.
    Another good thread might be "the dumbest thing ever asked at a parts counter"

21. LMS1

LMS1

22. acj

acj

Can I help you?????

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

"we dont sell car parts here.....Just air fresheners, and those silly stick on port holes, how many do you want and does your car have A/C or not..so i will be sure to give you the right stick on port holes"

Hhahaha ok ,,it really didnt happen..but it could

its coming to a parts store near you

24. n847

n847

I worked at a NAPA for 3 years and I've heard it all but last week when i went to pick up some valve cover tie downs (the kind with the studs) for a SBC I didn't get the ones at Auto Zone and wound up at Advanced down the street because I knew I had seen them there and I grabbed the box. Made it half way to the counter and realized it only had 4 in the box. I read the package and it said SBC right on it and a quantity of 4. They had no more on the shelf so I asked the guy at the counter if they had any more he said no and why would I need more that one set...I asked him if he knew how many were in the box and he said 4. He also told me they never stocked more that one set at a time. I then asked if he knew how many valve covers were on a small block chevy...after a few seconds he said 2 then I asked him if he knew how many bolts went into a valve cover on a 68 corvette SBC. He paused and said...one set. When I asked him if he was going to start stocking 2 sets at a time he sad..."No because we have had those 4 for 2 months and haven't ever sold them." I put them back on the wall and left to go back to AutoZone. When I told the guy at the counter about it he said some one had been in a month ago and told them the same thing and that was the only reason they had 2 sets in stock! Its a good thing JEGS is only an hour away!

25. old_skool_1953

old_skool_1953

I'm not sure, it was in spanish............

26. I went in to AutoZone...ooops autoworld, don't wanna mention names...the kid behind the counter I reconized as being the bagger at Kroger's ...ooops...well at grocery store for a long time, when I said I need a blablabla for a Chevy Astro van, he says...excuse me sir, you mean A Ford Astro van...Ford made those NOT Chevy...I had to just snicker and point to it out front with the bowtie on the grill...he might wanna stick to Paper or Plastic???

27. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Was sitting at the local NAPA parts counter waiting for my order to be put together, dude comes in and asked for a rear wiper blade for a 2004 Jeep.
    Counter guy says what kind of Jeep? Dude said a RED one.
    Counter guy goes behind the shelves and calls out "You said a Red Jeep right " ? Guy said yup.
    Counter guy said sorry, we have 2 for black Jeeps and 1 for a green Jeep, all out on the red, you might try AutoZone down the street.
    Guy said thanks and left.

I just about shit myself laughing.

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hhahaha fuckin priceless

29. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

That's why I use our O'Reilly - there are some good guys in there. One spent about 20 minutes trying to find me a bearing seal for a trailer axle...looking through catalogs, calling people, measuring it with calipers. He finally found one and made me a happy customer.

30. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

After purchasing an Alternator, having the kid behind the counter ask if I want a wimpy plastic bag to put it into.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.