Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest We Lost a Local Legend "Bob Chipper" R.I.P.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lockwoodkustoms, Jul 10, 2011.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Today I heard from a friend that one of our own local legends had passed away today Mr. Robert (Bob) Chipper.
    I personally never knew him but had always heard the stories and finally met him a while back to tell him about a fellow HAMBer that had recently bought his Willys Drag car and that it was close by so if he wanted to see it he could. Mr. Chipper was a pretty cool man from the few times I had the pleasure talking to him. I always remember growing up he had around a 68 69ish Super Bee out in front of his shop and I always wanted the car car but we all have had that happen in our lives.

I have to say even though I only met with Mr. Chipper a few times I am having a hard time writing this it is hard when we loose people that we look up to and I have always wanted to have a Chipper built motor for one of my cars just to say I had a motor from Bob Chipper.

Bob I hope your burning up the 1/4 mile in the sky you will be missed and I am glad you stayed around for the reunion at Tri Cities this year. God Speed Mr. Chipper

http://www.stargazette.com/article/...ars-later-reunion-honors-drag-strip-s-history

Attached Files:

2. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

If I'm not mistaken, he was the national record holder in BB/GS for a while. Always a strong runner. We were also running a BB/GS '33 Willys so we were well aware of Bob Chipper. Later he ran a funny car. RIP Mr. Chipper.

3. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Mr Bob Chipper. RIP,

4. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

i remember him running in the eastern supercharged circut in the late 60s. with bob lombardi- oddy. etc. was it bob that put his blower engine in an almost brand new amx? mike

5. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

Saw him once in Kentucky match race in early 70's with this BB/GAS 'Cuda, Oddy's car in background.
    RIP

Attached Files:

6. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Wow, that's a good lookin' Cuda. I don't remember that one but I was probably on my, Uncle Sam sponsored, Southeast Asia tour.:D Thanks for that pic.

7. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Very sorry to hear about Bob Chipper I remember Jimmy Oddy telling me he was a good guy & good racer RIP Bob

"Trouble"

8. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Mike your right he was a national record holder with the Willys. I have a few framed photos one of the Willys and the other one of the Vega Funny car he ran I will try and get them posted. You can see moree of his Cuda over on the Gasser Madness site.

9. raffman

raffman

There's some info and pics of Chipper over on Gasser Madness. What a great guy, accomplished racer, meticulous engine builder, would help anybody.
    We were talking recently about that Cuda, Bob was sponsored by the local chrysler - plymouth dealer Karl Gould and he gave him that Hemi Cuda right off the showroom floor. Bob said he literally gutted the car firewall and all and returned the unused pieces back to the dealership. He campaigned that car for awhile and I'll never forget seeing him at Englishtown NJ when the tranny locked up going through the traps and spinning out in the mud off the track......WOW.
    That Hemi went on to power some other cars for Bob as well, a Vega funny car and even in a sportsman roundy round stock car!
    Chipper will be missed but his legend will live on in this area for quite some time..

10. stanzig44

stanzig44
    from Blakely PA

11. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Cannot recall the year but I remember seeing Chippers 33 Willys at a match race in Ontario, Canada at the long gone Georgetown drag strip many years ago. Impressive hard running racer and race car.

Rest in Peace Bob Chipper.

Thanks for passing this information along.

12. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

I only have gotten to talk with Bob Chipper on a few occasions. What a great soft spoken guy, who carried a big stick when it came to competition. He did it on his own, no big corporate sponsors and all that other stuff that killed dragracing.. His story is in our upcoming book due out next year and hope we can do him justice. He made everyone around him better.He didn't complain one bit at the end, when he was in unbelievable pain. RIP Chip

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  13. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

BTT
    For those who may have missed this.

14. 1934coupe

1934coupe

RIP Bob. I remember his cars well, and the where always first class.

Pat

15. careyohio

careyohio

Did Bob Chipper ever own the "OHIO GEORGE " GASSER PASSER " ?
    If so...what year did he run it and who did he sell it too ?