Register now to get rid of these ads!

non solid axle "gasser stance" cars ... or trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stumpuller, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Cool thread :D, anyone have any pics of the modified spindles used to lift the front, I'm about to start on a '63 1/2 Galaxie.

2. Just use coil spring jacks if you get depserate. You can buy them right at Advance Auto, they are 60's correct, and they do work. Put like 4 in on each side, and with the suspension hanging, drive them as far in as you can then let the car down.
    -Dean

3. What about Z'ing the upper control arms to make up for the ball join spacer distance...maybe fab. a tubular upper?

4. 2 " square tube spacers between the suspension cross member and the sub frame.

[​IMG]

5. Lucky3

Lucky3

X2...they got away from the ill handling "Straight Axles" as fast as they could. Still looks cool though but not really designed for today's speeds !
    Safety waaaay more important than looks for me runnin in the 9's.

:D:D:D

6. ecap

ecap
    from mich

steve mcbay has spacers he has them for 41-53 chevy frount may have outhers his number is 877-337-41-47 tell him doug sent you!

7. BBMan

BBMan

Here's my B/Gasser w/ the old "C" ball joint spacers.

Attached Files:

8. lorodz

lorodz

heres mine...
    [​IMG]

9. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

this car is bad ass! I was building my 57' to be something like this...

Attached Files:

10. 58_Ford

58_Ford
    from Phoenix

11. "old injun"

"old injun"
    from Lansing IL

my wife and i have 56 pontiac drag car nose up on stock suspension...

12. ecode ragtop

ecode ragtop
    from illinois

I really like the 58 ford!

13. drivewaycustoms

drivewaycustoms
    from waldorf,MD

old J.C.Whitney ball joint spacers and '64 Chevy stationwagon springs

[​IMG]

14. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

just a question here... the 53-54 chevy uprights fit into the 49-52 chevy's, good for about 2 inches of drop... so if I got some 49-52 uprights, and put them on my 53 would that not lift it about 2 inches?

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I saw a 53 at a car show that had at least 3 to 4 inch spacers (Ibeam)between whatever this suspension member is called and the frame.
    (where the 4 sets of 2 bolts are) This pic is from a 51 or 52 I think but you get the idea.
    It seems like the best I remember they used heavy pieces of the rite size Ibeam with the holes drilled for the bolts for the spacers,It looked like good work and it set up really good in the front.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  16. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

I built a 62 Impala SS Gasser....W/ a 67' G10 van straight axle. I had it for a year and sold it to build a 62' Chevy II Gasser. Anyway, the guy that bought my Impala SS pulled the Straight axle and turned it back to street duty...as his "Family Car!"

17. KansasTwister

KansasTwister

Hey casey is that you posting photos of dads cars? If so no problem. Im pretty sure it was a 4" spindle, but he also may have changed the front coils to something else, maybe a moroso trick spring. One of these days ill get him to get motivated on that car again, if not Im gonna have to. Even just a stock sj327 that looks the part would be good enough, seeing as his good heads were worn out and the 306 lost a rod at around 8k. Block could be saved if it needed to be but we have so many others laying around why bother.

edit: just talked to him, it was just 4" spindle, stock springs.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  18. Westco48

Westco48

Revival...you guys think that reverse stepping the lower a arms would give enough lift and would it work?

19. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I saw a couple cool, non axle ones under a Vette/gasser thread

20. Stock front with taller springs and weight shoved back off of the nose of the car.

[​IMG]

21. Henrysnephew

Henrysnephew
    from SE Mich

This front suspension was installed on my Henry J gasser in 1960. It's an early VW Beetle unit, modified so that the (internal) torsion bar anchors can be rotated at the track to adjust ride height. A nice engineering job it was. Randy Millard (Henrysnephew)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]