Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Walt Mordenti turns 90 in July (world renown Hudson mechanic)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by My Other Car is a Hudson, Jul 10, 2011.

1. My Other Car is a Hudson

My Other Car is a Hudson
    from USA

While looking for historical pictures for ARDC midgets and East Coast stock cars, I came across the fabulous picture of the 1956 ARDC banquet on this forum posted 12-10-2010 by Doug (Sprinter 2) (HISTORY -- Vintage "Cageless" Midgets). My Dad, Walt Mordenti, is standing in third row, second from left.

Walt now lives in San Francisco with his bride of 66 years, Margaret. Walt turns 90 this month, and we are having a big birthday celebration for him tonight at his favorite North Beach restaurant "Tommaso's Ristorante Italiano." Family and friends from all over the Bay Area will join us. I found the ARDC banquet picture while looking for vintage pictures of his race cars to make place mats for his celebration.

Walt lived in Connecticut and raced on the East Coast from the 1940s-1980s. He is probably best know as an owner/builder/mechanic, who also drove the tow truck and served as the pit crew, usually all by himself. He had a red, Kurtis chassis, Ford-powered #78 midget racer (chauffeurs Dutch Shaefer and Roger Bailey to name a few). Later, when he was in his 50s, he added "driver" to his resume at the 1/2-mile high-banked dirt track at Lebanon Valley Speedway, NY in his big-block, super-modified, AMC-powered, open-wheel #36 Gremlin/Rambler American stock cars (body had to match motor). In the 40s/50s, he also wrenched on Hudson stock cars with other Waterbury friends: the Mordenti-Mordino-Mambrino trio. I remember #12 Hudson stock car, affectionately known as the Tank!

I am the little girl Joyce who was always at his side at oval tracks like Pine Bowl (with outhouses!), Old Bridge, Islip, Freeport, Savin Rock, Riverside, Stafford Springs, Plainville, Danbury Fair, Hersey Fair, and Army-Navy Stadium (I can sill smell the fumes of the indoor track). He raced his midget at Daytona on the sand, winning recognition for the Flying Mile. He was a spokesperson for Oilzum oil.

Walt still goes to work every day in his mechanic blues. He is world renown as a Hudson mechanic, and he is very active in automotive circles, rebuilding carburetors, engines, and transmissions for vintage cars. He rebuilt a '53 Hornet sedan for me in the 80s, then rebuilt a '53 Hornet coupe for himself in the 90s. Both are daily drivers. If you Google "Walt Mordenti and Hudson Hornet," you will find lots of current information about him, including pictures of his car. He writes a regular Tech Tip column for the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane (HET) Club magazine. This month, he and Margaret will drive their Hudson Hornet to Oklahoma for the Annual HET National Meet. Walt frequently wins the long distance award and oldest driver award. Do stop by and say "Hello" if you see him in OK.

I hope that race car fans who remember Walt (or who are just crazy about racing history) will send their birthday wishes to his email account: [email protected] [waltmordenti-at-aol-dot-com]. If you have some pictures of Walt and/or his cars, then I am certain that he would appreciate them. Walt carries his iPad every where, so he is not hard to reach! Drop him a line.

Thanks for the memories, Joyce

2. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Happy Birthday Walt!. He recently rebuilt a carb for my dad

3. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

happy birthday Walt! i hope i get to meet him in okc next week.

4. My Other Car is a Hudson

My Other Car is a Hudson
    from USA

Thanks everyone! At the party tonight, my dad corrected me. Dutch Shaefer did not drive for him (Dutch drove Offys). Ronnie Evans and Roger Bailey were his chauffeurs. Joyce ;>)

5. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

Happy Birthday Walt! :D

6. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Hi Joyce,

Here are a few pictures of your father and my father.

Happy Birthday Walt..... Ronnie's son John

Attached Files:

7. My Other Car is a Hudson

My Other Car is a Hudson
    from USA

Thanks John! I will share with my dad, Joyce