Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead/trans question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dukes26, Jul 10, 2011.

1. dukes26

dukes26
    from CO

Hey guys, Anybody running an early nailhead with a dynaflow? I have a '55 264 for my '29 roadster and I'm trying to figure out what trans to run & keep things fairly simple. How hard is it to convert the dynaflow to open drive? Open to any other ideas... Thanks

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Converting the dynaflow to open drive is not a possibility. Use an open drive Chevy transmission with an adapter.

3. Ghost28

Ghost28

I don't know if it has been converted or not. I believe it is a 62 trans and 401 package. It was mated to a nine inch ford rear.

Attached Files:

4. jrlemke

jrlemke

Check '53? Olds, Pontiac, and possibly Caddy. The Hydromatic plant burned down and they used Dynaflow for a while. Jim

5. Buford

Buford

Buick went to open driveline in '61 (finally). I believe a later Dynaflow can be adapted to the earlier 264/322 by using the early bellhousing, but get a second opinion. Happy motoring, Frank

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Ponchos used the late great Powerslide in place of the hydro during that time.
    Olds and Cad were STUCK WITH DYNAFLOW. Yes, the dynaflow of those were open driveline, but still would need to get the Buick Dynaflow converter and bell housing mounted to the box.

Sounds feasable, along with the early converter.

Too bad the 65-66 Sp or St 400 transmissions had the 57 up bell patterns.

7. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

You will be way ahead in time, money, effort and performance if you start hunting for an adapter bellhousing. Transdapt and Cragar made 264/322 bellhousings to mate to Chevy 4spd (the most desirable one) and late 50s/early 60s Ford 3spd (which could be had with OD).

You could also get a very common Nailhead to Ford flatty adapter, and then stack a Flat-o-matic or 5-speed adapter behind that.

-Brad

8. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes that is correct, good luck.:)

9. irisrust65

irisrust65
    from OK

Just ran onto an old pickup with a 322 Buick and a Dynaflow Transmission from a very old Buick Mechanic (He started working in a Buick Dealership in 1946).
    The pickup has a open drive line behind the Dynaflow.
    He told me the story about the fire at the plant and that GM came up with an adapter to convert the Dynaflow to run it in the place of Hydramatics.
    Will try to get some pictures in a few days.

Later, Dave

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Nobody used Dynaflow in hot rods, they adapted another trans. There were adapters for Ford transmissions for installing the engine in Ford hot rods but the Ford trans didn't last long behind a Buick. The heavy duty option was Cad/LaSalle.

Today there are many good 4 speed and 5 speed trans, I'm sure someone makes adapters or bellhousings.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Someone should tell Tommy Ivo.... sucks that he set all those records with DynaFlows... :D:D:D

12. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

I have a Cragar Nailhead-to-Toploader (off the top of my head, I think #310) PM if you would like to talk.