Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint streaking...paint problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clark, Jul 10, 2011.

1. brandon

brandon

Are you scrapin the bottom of can of base, with this one...? Had a shiny job do it once when I "added" a little base off the stick.

2. Master of None

Master of None

My dad always tells me when I'm ready to throw hammers at projects... take a deer breath and walk away tomorrow is another day. Hope you have some success tomorrow.

3. Clark

Clark

I added on the first try but not the second.
    Clark

4. Clark

Clark

I was ready to set fire to it...a hammer would not do enough damage. I might have to walk away for more than a day. I wasted a week and a half on it already. I need to make money to pay bills.

This has been a total nightmare for the past week and a half. the paint suplier screwed up my order. It was supposed to be House of Color Cinneman Pearl. When the paint order came in I only had 1 Quart of paint. They said they made a mistake and they would get the other 3 quarts the next day. Several days later I called them and they said they couldn't get anymore. Spent 3 hours with the owner trying to come up with a new color. Settled on an Ice blue. Picked out a color that was a little on the darker side. Flat clears usually lighten colors a bit. Not this one came out darker. worried the owner wouldn't like it. They did thank god.

The paint suplier did try to take care of me with the new color.
    Clark

5. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Well it sounds like home. Paint can like you or Kill you. I'm glad Lacquer's gone!! You said that this is a pearl. Is it a three stage or just pearl added to the base colour? If it's true Pearl using a Base colour and then the blue pearl on top, then I would resand the car after two good days to dry out with 800 grit wet paper. Then apply your pearl and use a Drop coat. Drop the air pressure by 1/2 so 30 lbs to 15 lbs. and then hold the gun at a 45 deg. angle to the panels and cross coat it like crazy. This fog will even up even the worst colours. Let it dry out for a hour and then clear coat. A medium coat first and then a couple of wet coats so you can work the surface after.
    I think your getting alot of problems because of the heat and humidity. So watch the build so it doesn't go cloudy. If this doesn't solve the problem call me. 705-715-7628
    I'll be in Toronto Monday. We should be in the same time zone!!. 39 years, 8 paint systems and now we have Waterborne to learn about. Well it's never boring.
    The Old Tinbasher

6. Master of None

Master of None

If I were closer I'd come over and help sand if that's any consilation. I currently have one of "those" projects in my shop right now. The client actually asked " You mean you just can't throw in the new tail gate"? ( a $440 part). At least the paint supplier is trying to work with you.

7. Clark

Clark

Pearl in the color.
    Clark

8. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

man clark that sucks ,you are not going to get a break in the weather,hope you get this worked out ! to much time and effort to give up !! i can top the sock to the gut feeling though ,my wifes durango came home from a 4 hr tow job with a blown motor ,just what i wanted to do this summer !!!

9. hotrod51

hotrod51

After you have color coverage, mix your base with DBC 500, which is a clear basecoat. 50/50 then 75/25 then 1 coat of DBC 500. This will blend all the metallics and pearls and insulate the basecoat from the clear. I have done this many times and it cures the streaking and mottling.

10. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

before you clear do a fast pass over the whole thing to even it out, some pearls are tricky, ive had this problem one time with a dark pearl, deff think its not the clear.

11. DBC500 might just be the cure for what ails ya, Clark. hotrod51 is spot on with this. good luck.

12. Ob1

Ob1

So, what gun are you using, and did you spray a test panel to adjust the pattern?