Register now to get rid of these ads!

need help identifying this quick change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willie57, Jul 9, 2011.

1. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

This quick change came with a bunch of stuff I purchased from a guy that wanted to get out of the hot rod hobby. Who made It ? It has Frankland on the inside of the hubs and an S on the rear cover. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attached Files:

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

SCHIEFER..A division of Husrt Performance Products...WOW, I have never seen a car with one, at the circle tracks or in the circle mags....I cut the full page ad out of a circle track mag when it first came out, around 1978 and has been hanging on a garage wall since then..I never saw another ad and thought they never made it to production...

3. i think that is more of a museum piece than a user, that is very rare and of value to someone rebuilding something that used that model
    cant be many of them around we know of 2 so far and i have never seen any except in stock car racing:cool:

4. I've owned one and seen a few more - mostly in drag racing. Mine was an ultra narrow, ex-top fuel rear circa mid 70's.

Steve

5. Sure is an ugly looking critter isn't it

6. RAY With

RAY With

Circle track for sure. It has Grand National hubs with double splined axels but the center case I am not familiar with on the front. Its no doubt a rare critter.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Steve, I remember seeing one in the old Bubble Up funny car, I think. Jerry and the boys were always experimenting with something new.

8. It is kind of a big ugly sucker :D, but I've never seen one . . . so being pretty unique makes it kind of special. It looks to me to have never been ran - maybe it was a 'show or demo' model . . . that never made it into a car. Does it have a spool or some sort of DIFF in it?

Thanks for posting - always good to see something new!

B&S

9. Bubba Corzine

Bubba Corzine

I had one in my Econo rail in 1982. The car was built by Don Ness. I bought 2 of the quick change rearends as they were still be made back then. They were originally built by Shiefer and then by Eaton I think. Meyers machine in Dallas made all kinds of trick parts for them up until the early 90's. I think they still have some of the pieces left. It really was a trick rearend as you could change ratios very easy and quickly. The ratios were very close together.I had many spur gears and changed them often. The 1st ones I remember being used in drag racing was one in John Lengingfelters BED in the late 70's. There were a couple of alcohol dragster that used them sucessfully.

10. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

Thanks guys for all your help. Looking at this rear end it looks like it has never been used or seen very little use. Unless someone has changed the tubes nothing has been welded on them. The guy I purchased it from said he got it out of California.

11. I believe they run a 10" ring gear - big sturdy pieces for sure. I like the look of them - very industrial and versatile.

Steve

12. Marty, yes could be - I've seen them in TF dragsters from the mid to late 70's - they look great out in the open.

Steve

13. Bubba Corzine

Bubba Corzine

Actually they have 8.5 ring and pinion. I think they were 8.5 Chysler. Not sure, long time ago. I had 2 of them set up for my car, one with a 4.56 gear and one with a 3.70 gear. You could really split ratios with 2 diferent rear ratios. Ran mine for 2 years and never had any problems. The car is still around in the Houston area.

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You must mean two change gear sets..The gears looked like Ford 9" style to me, a mag did an article with dissembled pics and I have it some wheres; think it was Stock Car Racing..

15. Bubba Corzine

Bubba Corzine

Not 9" Ford. It was kind of an oddball gearset. Can't remember what it was, getting too old. Yes ,I had 2 complete rearends and about 25 diffrent spur or change gear sets. It was a great rear end and was lighter than a 9" Ford.