Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 chevy 6volt hard start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Honlude, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

Any suggestions please , I have a 54 chevy 150 with the 235 still 6 volt , I did the following , new battery 550cca , new plugs , new condenser and points , set points and dwell , ran extra grounds from engine to body , new fuel , set timing I believe right . Car will start sometimes but not always , sometimes it dose nothing but turn over , sometimes it sputters and tries to run , then sometimes it will run . It dose get the positive cable hot after cranking awhile . I'm at a loss of why such a prob to start . When it dose run it runs pretty smooth
    Any help will be great

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Too small a battery cable came cause this ,you need at least 2 gauge and O would be better for both cables. Also if it is worse with the engine hot the starter bushings may be worn letting it drag.

3. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

It can be either hot or cold , dose the same

4. Truckedup

Truckedup

If you think the starter is turning over the engine fast enough.....then put the old condenser back in the distributor and try it.I chased a starting issue like yours....I was told it wasn't the condenser,but it was, a new one that was bad.

5. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

Even full charge on battery engine seems to crank slow

6. grynder

grynder

Is it flooding?

Hows the wiring look for the ignition circuit? I had a similar problem. I eventually bypassed the whole ignition circuit by running a wire from the battery directly to the coil (basically hot wired it) and it fired right up every time. good luck

7. yekoms

yekoms

A friend of mine had the same problem in his '50 sedan delivery with a 215. Everything checked out OK but it sometimes would crank slow or just plain not start. Hot or cold it didn't matter. No set pattern just random. He went to an 8 volt tractor battery and all is good now.
    Smokey

8. if it spins slow and you have 2 ga or larger cables
    starter may have bad bushings that lets the armature run out of center
    test cables use volt meter 1 lead on the battry terminal not the cable end and the other end on the starter stud if you rean more than 1/2 volt you have a conection prpblen
    do the same on the ground but use the block and center of neg terminal
    same with 1/2 volt
    if you have 4ga cables (the little skinny ones ) they will not care enough amprage for 6V

9. if it spins slow and you have 2 ga or larger cables
    test cables use volt meter 1 lead on the battry terminal not the cable end and the other end on the starter stud if you rean more than 1/2 volt you have a conection prpblen
    same with 1/2 volt
    if you have 4ga cables (the little skinny ones ) they will not care enough amprage for 6V

10. if it spins slow and you have 2 ga or larger cables
    same with 1/2 volt

11. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

6 volts means half the volts at twice the amps to do the same job. Wireing is sized according to amperage requirements. Heavy duty battery cables can be found at big truck shops and parts suppliers (like tractor trailer trucks). 6 volt systems need every spot on-none of that sloppiness that you can get away with on a 12 volt system- when you get it right it works just fine, but it needs to be right.

12. rdrunner1974

rdrunner1974
    from Vermont

Doe's it crank over at what seems to be a normal speed? If so, sounds like your problem is ignition. Pull a plug and place it against a ground to see what type of spark you are getting. Have you checked the compression? Worn valves will cause this but usually on HOT starts.

13. George/Maine

George/Maine

If it turns over slow i think the starter needs some repair.
    The front bushing when worn, slows it down the bushing is only few $

14. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

I'm gonna try the bigger cables first . I did check the spark before and I seem to have decent spark . When I get it started it runs great

15. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

Who sells the bushings for the starter , are they hard to replace ?

16. Shopking

Shopking
    from central Pa

Had the same problem on a 6 volt system last summer.The battery cables appeared to be heavy gage and the ends were cleaned and looked good.Removed both positive and negative cables and cut into the insulation of the cable at different locations-found heavy white powder (corrosion) in entire piece.A lot of resistance.Replaced both and has worked perfect all year.

17. they were not the best starting units when they were 10 years old rember towing my beauty in the winter to get it started at all
    it also helped to take about 5 people with to help push start

being we are living in 2010 why not consider converting to 12 volt and leave the stock starter and give it a chance to crank

18. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

....don't know about MN, but it's 2011 in NY.

19. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

Hey , thanks to all for the help . I took ground off, sanded block to clean up contact , got rid of both cables , switch ground to a heavy braided ground strap , replaced positive with a 2/0 cable . Wow what difference something that simple dose . Spins over like a 12volt and starts with ease .I would never have believed those cables would cause that much grief
    It is also 2011 in pa
    As far as switching to 12volt . Im trying hard to keep it original 6volt for the nastogic factor

20. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

Hey , thanks to all for the help . I took ground off, sanded block to clean up contact , got rid of both cables , switch ground to a heavy braided ground strap , replaced positive with a 2/0 cable . Wow what difference something that simple dose . Spins over like a 12volt and starts with ease .I would never have believed those cables would cause that much grief
    It is also 2011 in pa
    As far as switching to 12volt . Im trying hard to keep it original 6volt for the nastogic factor