Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History Of Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Offy 220

Offy 220

GaryB,

You are correct, Artesia and Cerritos were known as "Dairy Valley" years ago.
    I remember when they built the 91, it ended at Lakewood Blvd next to George Chevolet for many years. It was great when it finally connected to the Harbor Freeway. You could drive all the way to Ascot without having to drive down Artesia Blvd.

Offy 220

2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

OK not that far back but in the early eighties I did a lot of work at the then GTE central office across from the stadium where the L.B. Swap is held. I used to go to lunch at a little metal 15' by 20' metal shack in the parking lot of a Schell gas station near the corner of Atlantic and Wardlow. Just a retired sailor and his wife running the place from 11:AM to I think 1: PM on weekdays. Just Hamburgers,Cheeseburgers, no fries, always had onions grilling on the burner. (you could smell them from Lakewood) The wife worked the counter and the guy worked the grill. If you wanted a Coke or milk it was in the cold water cooler in front. I used to get my burger and drive to the top of Signal Hill to enjoy my lunch. Would park next to an oil rig and look out over the L.B. Harbor, great view I understand why they have condos up there now.

Oh and for on topic Reath Automotive was just a few blocks away.

3. Offy 220

Offy 220

29AVEE8,

Yes, the burger stand is still there. Actually it is a pretty popular place. There is always a line around it. I think the owners [Dave's ?] own two burger stands - not sure. The other one is on Palo Verde and Atherton, not far from LB State University. Reath Automotive was on Cherry Ave. just north of the freeway, now the building houses a Jet skis and motorcycle dealer.

Who would think houses on Signal Hill would go for over $750k to $1million just a few years back? Some of them have an oil derrick / pump in their backyard. I agree the views are great! We would go up to the park on the top of the hill every 4th of July to see the Fireworks from the Queen Mary and from Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro.

I was at the LB Swap meet today which is at Vet's Stadium. I don't remember if the GTE building is still there. LB City College remodeled recently and they might be using the building or built a new one.

Offy 220

4. Hermcarnut

Hermcarnut

This shot, from what I believe is around the time Crenshaw Motors Ford closed, is pretty close to what the exterior looked like in the 1950's and 1960's. Less than a mile north of Harry Mann Chevrolet, this was a "regular stop" at New Car Introduction Time for the new Ford Brochures. To the right of the building was a good-sized lot for their Used Car Inventory and to the left of the building was another for their New Car Inventory ... the showroom had space for around 3 Fords if memory serves me correctly. Sad to see a unique building pass into History.

5. Hermcarnut

Hermcarnut

6. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

This is where we grew up in the late 70's at the corner of Sawtelle Blvd and La Grange in West Los Angeles.

The Station was owned by my friend Kervin's Grandfather & Dad, old style outdoor lube rack, manual tire mounting machine etc. We learned a lot and "F*#Ked up a lot.

Ketchie's was the main spot great burgers, tacos, chili tamales etc. until a drunk took it out one night.

This little area still has some of the original business from after WWII, Save & Sav Fish Market, Jo-Mi Plumbing, etc. all in the original buildings.

Wish I would have taken photos, these are what I found on the internet.

Attached Files:

7. autofocus

autofocus
    from MASS

[How often do ya see a Kaiser in a traffic shot?QUOTE=BrerHair;5043977][​IMG]
    Hollywood and Vine

[​IMG]
    Vine Street

[/QUOTE]

8. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

made that trip many a time w/my son,when we were racing are Jeep,we'd take it to the 605& arteisa exchange(during construction) and do tire testing an tune-up changes for sand drags..hillclimbs,pismo,glamis,hemet

9. autofocus

autofocus
    from MASS

(37?) Studebaker. Theres 1 in my area.And 1 of everything in this shot.

10. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

Morning watch 1959

Attached Files:

11. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Attached Files:

• coa.jpg
      coa.jpg
      File size:
      5.8 KB
      Views:
  12. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

All this history are there any good pics of the Maywood / Bell Ford dealership there is only one that I have been able to find- I remember going with my Dad to buy a 1963 Ford Country Squire so we could drive in style to Mexico- that place was great-

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Sorry no pics but I sure do remember it well. Loved walking thru the bays with it's red floors and the spell of parts cleaner.

14. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

They used to do a lot of TV advertising, Joe Karbo was their spokeman. My elementary school flame's father sold cars there. Her father went on to start a Volvo dealership. I wonder where she is now?

15. wald1

wald1
    from france

Awesome tread , anybody have period shot of performance shop like
    Bill Thomas and Bill Stroppe places , Landy's Automotive Research in Sherman Oaks , Doug's header shop .... that would be cool.

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Would that have been Woodlawn Elementry? A school friends dad worked the service counter in the 70's, Larry Buff was his name.

17. Special Ed

Special Ed

1966. Riverside Drive in the Valley. The original Batmobile under construction...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  18. Special Ed

Special Ed

A few car clubs representin' in the Valley...

[​IMG]

19. LBCD

LBCD

My mother inlaw cruised Whittier blvd back in the 50's and was crowned Ms. Whittier in 19?? fast forward to the 80's when i was 18 ....we would go to Santa Fe Ave for the late night Drags :cool:

20. LBCD

LBCD

Love that Buick! cool pics of Lakewood too! I moved to Lakewood in 81 and remember the Lakewood mall just like those pics without the cars of course. I moved just up the road and by the looks of it we have the same house plan too. I live on Mezzanine Way so you must be close. :D

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I forget the exact yr 81 or 82 was the end of the Painter to Colima curcuit :(.

22. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Sweet picture. This is my drive every morning into work... not much has changed believe or not. Cars are still blocking the intersection from right of way traffic....:p

23. v8 garage

v8 garage

Drawing of Plomb Tools Factory in Los Angeles. Late 30's or early 40's.
    V/8

Attached Files:

24. shiftervic

shiftervic
    from So. Cal.

25. LBCD

LBCD

This is a great picture but it is missing something ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My good friend masters at the Capitol building and has been there give or take 15 years.

One of the best things I've ever done is play my drums and record in studio B, it is one of the most famous studios in Los Angeles or the world...sweet

26. flyin-t

flyin-t

You have to turn onto Mezzanine off Woodruff to get to our neighborhood. We live on Pageantry.

27. 36C8

36C8

28. Thanks for posting this video on this great thread,this is really where it belongs.Just think they are now making video games of this certain time in Los Angeles and we now have the chance to see it for real.

29. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

If you like this stuff check out countyofangels.com

30. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Anyone notice the 41 Chevy Coupe and 41 Ford Sedan, both with skirts?

Attached Files: