Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pix of '55-'57 Ford Gassers - the "other" Tri-Fives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Jones, Jun 25, 2010.

1. rat nasty

rat nasty

thnx for the compliments good and bad...as soon as the wagon gets some road action or track time i will keep all posted as to how it does?thnx again!
    "meanwhile I'm still tryin to get the buggz worked out!"

2. Normbc9

Normbc9

Feast your eyes on these FoMoCo racers. All are factory built performance cars and some are from the Ford Factory Racing Group at the Pico Rivera plant (now gone) in Los Angeles. Some a are blower equipped, others with dual quads and yet others with tripe deuces. All have one thing in common, they are fast and can show you their tail lights pretty quick in 1,420 ft.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

3. Yum, I think that's 1320 ft. unless you'all run a longer quarter mile. :eek::eek: Just saying... Thanks for the pictures.

4. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

man! I love the stance, color combo, the name, lettering style,
    and the bird flexing his bicep on the fender ....aw hell....it's ALL good! :cool:

Eddie

5. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Ohio 1966.

Radir's, Tear drop, no bumper, blue tinted windows = AWESOME.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Nice 56!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

7. rat nasty

rat nasty

yup!what he said!^^^^

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Me three!!! ^^^

9. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Yep, it had a 390 CID .060 over, top loader and 4:11's. Had to sell it to go to school.

10. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

How awesome is that!! I came across those pictures while searching around the net a couple years ago, I even printed those off and have them hanging in my garage. Basically the coolest 56 i've ever seen. I never thought the original owner would be here on the HAMB. Any more pics or info?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  11. Gasser57

Gasser57

Too cool!!!!!

12. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

I'll have to do some digging around. My Dad got the car from his brother in about 1965 and I bought it from Dad soon after. I kept blowing up those old Y-Blocks so when my parents were on vacation the Big Block went in. I had the motor built at Ault & James Speed Shop here in Dayton about 1968 or 69. I spent about all my college money on the engine and brand new top loader. I tinted the windows with that old crap that you used to paint on and let it run down the glass. The old thing had so may spring jacks in the frount that it would about knock your fillings loose on a rough road. I drove that thing every day; to work, to school, and raced it on occasion. I think I have a few more pictures someplace. I don't get on here real often but I'll see about hitting some pics.
    It's nothing compared to Kevin's 57 Ford. That thing is really sweet.

Kevin, were you at the Rumble this year? I wanted to take the old Merc over and light some fire but it just didn't work out.

13. Gasser57

Gasser57

Thanks Falcon Eddie. I had the 57 down at Indy for the Rumble this year. Hope to see you next time.

14. mustang552

mustang552
    BANNED

great gassers! My favorite drag cars. I have a custom 2-door sedan I am building as a gasser. How high should the car be, say from the ground to the bottom of the frame front and rear?

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Take a look at the '56 in post# 524. It appears the rear is at nearly stock height and the front just slightly raised. This has the "look" IMHO.

16. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

I had a 56 tudor in 1962-3 in SoCal and the competition look was in so I used 2 inch blocks in the rear and 57 Ford air conditioning front springs to raise the front. The new 57springs were marked with different colors from Ford for the different applications. Also ran big rubber on the rear and 6.70X15's on the front. Removed the front bumper and showed off the gray gravel pan. The car was a Ford red color.

The "Competion" look was the rage then.
    Mike

17. rat nasty

rat nasty

1rst local rod run...sat july 9th @ "tractors supply"

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      467.5 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      387.4 KB
      Views:
  18. aussiebill

aussiebill
    from Australia

Does anyone here know why some 56 ford gasser straight axles have the spring shackles at the front of the spring and some installed at the rear, personal choice or is there a theory to it? thank you.

19. Just Jones

Just Jones

Sounds very cool, Mike. Any chance you could post pictures?

- Just Jones

20. mjlangley

mjlangley
    from SE MI

Keep the pics coming, this thread is awesome!

Aussiebill- I think the shackle location is personal preference, although some have said they handle and steer better if the steering and solid eye of the spring are on the same side of the axle. There are some threads on here dedicated to that debate; or is it an argument????

21. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

One thing I have never done is take pictures of my cars. I guess that I thought that I would always have them on my mind. I even did photojournalism for a couple of mags and never shot my own stuff. Here is a picture, however in March of '62 at Tustin, CA. It's before I had done anything to it.
    Mike
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

22. Just Jones

Just Jones

^^^ Thanks for posting, Mike. Even when stock she was a looker.

- Jones

23. Just Jones

Just Jones

...or you could start your own thread called "Tri-Five Fords, part II" -

I started this thread because I was building a 55/56 and had a bunch of pictures I had collected - mostly of 55 and 56 - and thought Id share them. Had a few of the later models too.

Thanks for your input :D

24. 56vicky430

56vicky430
    from Kentucky

looks more like a 59 pontiac grill to me....cool irregardless. I want it.

25. rat nasty

rat nasty

update...
    been havin issues with my stock tank(dirty) getting it cleaned and sealed tomorrow!also cant get my jerico 4 speed to quit leaking out of the front(input shaft????I know the permenant fix but i think RTV "ultra black" is my best friend for now!

26. graybearded

graybearded

We fought a rusty old tank in a '32 pickup for about two years. Had it vatted & sealed twice. It went from plugging filters with rust to plugging filters with sealer.
    Bob Drake reproduces the '57/'58 Ranchero/Wagon tank ever so often, they don't keep them in stock though! The tanks are beautiful, took less than thirty minutes to get the old one out of our '58 Del Rio and the new one in. Drake forwarded me to Fordcraft in Plano, TX. They had a couple of pallets of those tanks last spring (2011). 972 423 4636

27. Bone Head

Bone Head
    from Kansas

Awesome post, I love the Ford Tri-Fives.

28. rat nasty

rat nasty

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

30. rat nasty

rat nasty

just did man they cleaned it and coated it....its good so far!