Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford sb distributor install ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gravelpete, Jul 9, 2011.

1. gravelpete

gravelpete
    from canada

I am installing a MSD distributor in a new 302 crate engine I just got and was wondering a few things. #1 cylinder is at top dead center, I know the firing order but was wondering on the rotor which way the tap faces, the open end to #1 or to #5? Also when it is facing #1 is directly pointed to #1 ? Any pictures of the rotor direction would be great. I am learning this foir the first time. Thanks

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is a "tap"? That is a term I have never heard used when a distributor is mentioned.

As for the location of the tip (metal piece) of the rotor it should be pretty well pointing directly at the #1 terminal on the cap. That should do to start the engine and get it running until you can set the timing with a light.

3. gravelpete

gravelpete
    from canada

Sorry tip not tap, the open end or the end that it is mounted to the rotor cap? Thanks

4. George

George

Remember to off set for the twist on the cam gear & it might take some adjustments for the oil pump shaft to engage the dizzy shaft.

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I'm amazed at how many folks are working on engines without at least a Motor's Manual at hand. Their schematics show distributor rotation, firing order, specs and other valuable instructions and information.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

they have been replaced by the HAMB:D Books are old technology.:D:D

7. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Not to hi-jack, but - Do I (we) need to be concerned about shimming the dizzy on a late roller 302? I see shims offered but have never used them.

8. gravelpete, there are 2 TDC's. It must be TDC on COMPRESSION stroke, there is also TDC on EXHAUST stroke, this won't work. #1 verify correct direction of rotation of the crankshaft, #2 then turn the crankshaft in direction of rotation, watch the intake valve open and then close. Bing the piston back up to the top of the cylinder, and now watch and align the timing tab/mark and the damper/harmonic balancer and line up TDC on COMPRESSION stroke and then drop in the Distributor, TR

9. While your turning over the engine in correct direction of rotation, make notice of the direction the distributor rotor is spinning, and mark it down for installing the plug wires. Or you can hold the distributor in your hand with your index finger on the vacuum canister. The vacuum line port where you put the hose should be in between your thumb and forefinger. The direction your finger is pointing, is the direction the rotor spins, TR.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  10. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Dizzy turns opposite way vac line points on dizzy.

Tig

11. greaseguns

greaseguns

I agree every guy who wrenchs old cars should have several old Motors