Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's almost that time again...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 8, 2011.

1. sophisto79

sophisto79

Whew! Can't wait to be there. :D

2. sophisto79

sophisto79

I'm looking forward to cereal tasting like dust any where but on the salt. For life to be just that bland without the presence of the speed gods.

Damn I getting all teary eyed...

3. Definitely the greatest gear head Mecca on the planet. It is life changing.

4. Salt 2009

Salt 2009

This year will be my 5th consecutive year.... first year was to get it off the bucket list.... each year after has been one new experience after another... A can't miss is the sunrise shortly after the gates open as shown below.

Attached Files:

5. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

6. kaui

kaui
    from SJC calif

Can hardly wait, cleaning the camping gear and buying all the sun screen I can find.

7. titus

titus

im going this year, my buddy bought this roadser, im building the motor.

JEFF

Attached Files:

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

It's been on my "Bucket List" for years, looking forward to seeing the photos posted here.

9. We need to figure out something on the 27 tin and I can pick it up out there!

10. What was with the guy running at the end of the video.

Sam

11. fonti

fonti

can't wait...far from home but worth every mile!!!

12. an infamous man one said, "Bonnevile isn't a bucket list item, it's a lyfestyle"

I look forward to heading back to the salt, from about the first week in Sept until the second week in August every year....it's a long pilgramage from Norway, but worth every penny.

Hans

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  13. James Boys

James Boys
    from London ONT

Hey Tman,

Thanks for the link. I'm sure Neil will update his thread about the lakester, until then here's the link to his blog where he is posting some updates as well

http://candyshotrodsupply.blogspot.com/

14. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Jive-Bomber sure picked an awsome shot to get everyone fired up for Bonneville!

For those of you who may not readily recognize the car and truck in Ryan's pic, that's the former Pierson Brothers' Coupe running as Tom Cobb's No. 25 "Engle Cam Special." The car set a "C" Competition Coupe record at Bonneville in 1956 when Cobbs drove it for a two-way average speed of 187.993 MPH and a top speed of 198.86 MPH. Cobbs fitted the car with prototype 259 inch small block chevy, with a signature Cobbs crank-mounted 471 Jimmy Blower, sucking through the third set of double barreled injectors Stu Hilborne built.

That picture, as well as the three I have added below, are a few of the 1700 images spanning Cobbs' hot rodding career from 1946 to 1965 that he carefully archived. I acquired the images from the Cobbs' estate when I bought the Cobbs Roadster.

The Ford pickup belonged to Cobbs too. It was his tow-pull-push car, tool shed and roof over his head while on the road.

For the photo buffs out there, Cobbs took the first two pictures with Kodocrome for color transparencies. Note the high level of saturation compared to the third snap shot.

That's Cobbs sitting in the middle below flanked by his hot rodding buddies and salt flats collaborators Phil Freudiger (left) and Bob Bequette. Two years later at Bonneville in 1958, Freudiger and Bequette would join the coveted 200 MPH Club in back-to-back runs in Freudiger's highly modified Aluminum nosed '27T running the same Cobbs-built SBC fitted to the no. 25 coupe here.

Bonneville is definitely a special place!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  15. flamingokid

flamingokid

It's on my bucket list.I'll have to settle for the Hamb Drags this year.

16. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

This year I am going, come hell or high water!! Out of the three events, Aug, Sept or Oct, which is the best one to pop my cherry? If I have the time, I might be able to make all three! God that would be sweet! But if it came down to one, which one would the people that have been there recommend?

17. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Wow, what a picture !! You gotta email me that !!