Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 Impala fuel gauge question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bman416, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Bman416

Bman416

Fuel gauge in wagon no worky! I checked the ground wire near tank. That seemed to be fine. My next step is the gauge itself. I took it out from the dash and pulled the plug. Now, im not too electrically savvy so heres my question: I turned the key to the ON position, put the test light into the female ends of the plug that goes into gauge and had no power. Should there be power coming out of one of those wires? I'm not really sure how the gas gauge works.
    Its easy to just pull the gas cap and see how much gas i got left but its a real pain in the ass.

Brian

2. R Pope

R Pope

One wire should have (resisted) power, the other grounds through the tank sender. The resister could be burned out. Don't hook full 12v power to the circuit, you'll fry something else.

3. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Test light is NOT the right tool here. You should only have like 6 to 8 volts to the guage. The sending unit is just a variable ground, and the gas guage measures how much current moves through it. The "groundeder" the sending unit is the more electricity gets through. You should have a resister on or near the guage panel.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The pink wire will be your + (works with ign.switch), the brown is from sender and is a resistored - at differant values per fuel level.
    FYI, if you try testing the gauge or gauges out of the dash they will not work. The dash cluster needs to be grounded for them to operate correctly.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

5. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

Your 62 is a 12 volt gauge. You should have 12 volts going to it from the key switch. What is the ohm value of the sending unit wire to ground? Your sender is a 30 ohm unit : 0 empty 30 full.

6. Bman416

Bman416

I told you I wasn't very electrically savvy. Hope I didn't screw anything up. I had two other fuel gauges to try. They didn't work either. Next thing to check would probably have to be the sending unit in the tank. Wonder if I should just deal with not having a gas gauge. Nice piece of information to have though. Thanks guys.

Brian

7. Hello

I had some problems with our 58 Ford; I just bought this voltage regulator from E-Xxxx.
    The instruments like fuel and the temperature sensors use a voltage regulator to increase the voltage can be different between cars but our 58 ford was 5, 5 volts. This is just for the instruments should show the right if the engine is on or of, 12, 6 volts of and 13, 5-14, 3 on.
    When the instruments use a lover voltage they always show the right information,,, everything clear?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mode...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f03cd3591

Lars

8. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

The 58 Ford and 62 Impala have completely different gauges.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011