Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Small car fantasy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Jul 7, 2011.

1. exartist

exartist

If they are anything like PV444 or PV544 a V8 will be quite the project.

For the original poster, how about a '65 Ford Cortina with a V8 stuffed in it? (edit: yes, I know you're looking pre-64 but it's close.)

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/07/06/alan-mann-sleeper-1965-ford-cortina-v8/

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'd still do an AC Cobra, even if it was kit car. Those things are just rad!

3. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

My first 'Hotrod' was mini 1000 with a 1275 from a larger Austin dropped in it. I left the gearing in it from the larger car and ran it on 10" rims with Cooper S discs. Soooo fast to sixty but after that you could hear the valves bouncing, unbeatable round the country roads where i grew up though. I guess that was the British equivalent of a true hot rod.....my dad was doing this in 63/64....

F

4. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

This gets my vote......one of these days I will build one of these....OH YES!!!! [​IMG]

5. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Or a 122S
    My ol man has one with a SB chevy, but his is a pro-street car.
    I have this piccture I found on the web a while back that fits this thread better.

6. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Back in the mid 70's I did a SBC conversion on a MkII. It made a decent road car once the cooling problems were worked out, but I wouldn't ever have considered it point and squirt kind of car, just too heavy.

7. Ed Zackley

Ed Zackley
    from Hokeyhomey

Here's a couple of ideas, but they'll take some work. Both are shortened behind the doors and under the C-pillars and the shoebox is also sectioned. The Corvair could have a Buick/Rover alloy v8 either reverse rotation or with a diiferent transaxle (and ditch the swing axles) or just a warmed up Corvair. A Y-block or straight six would be cool in the shoebox. Drop the nose on the Corvair a little and it won't look so tail heavy:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Holy CRAP! Other than the color, the gimpy headlight "eyebrows", and 18's instead of 15's, thats EXACTLY what I had in mind! Starting to think this needs doing...

9. rld14

rld14

Since we're talking Jags... the Mk2 may be more collectible but a 3.8 S-Type has that lovely IRS...

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If you'd dare to go the "Pro-touring" route with your chassis (and only the chassis), I'd do up one of the smaller, early 50s cars. A 51 Ford Victoria would undoubtedly be my first choice... or a 53-53 Ford coupe or similar style cars by other mfgs. Didn't SR do an article on an early 50's Chevy coupe awhile back that was a mild custom on the outside but with a Vette-ish frame and driveline? Quite an autocrosser, as I recall. In a way, it would be a nicer version of a 1950s Mexican road racing sedan but without all the garish stickers and an even more modern suspension. After all, it has big fenders and don't the custom guys allow a few modern tricks if it can be seen? There was another recent custom build that might also fit the bill, a black custom Merc with all the power and chassis tricks you could think of. Anyone remember that one? Gary

11. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Looks like a MUNTZ JET to me. :)

12. Special Ed

Special Ed

Same thing, only different....It's a 1949 Kurtis Sport. Virtually identical to a Jet, but with a shorter wheelbase giving Tony that elusive handling he desires.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2, they make a very slick car with some power

14. I have an original MGB-GT in the garage and every so often, I get the calling to make it interesting.....BUT recently I have been leaning towards the volvo 122's. I think they will be fun when modified.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Here it is. I saw this car run at a hillclimb once, and I would agree that it was a well engineered and effective little weapon. Its appearance is too cute for my taste, though (not because it's a Simca/Topolino, but because of the wing, wheels, numbers -- too many trinkets):

[​IMG]

16. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

thats what I'm talkin about.X2 on this bad boy.....

17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It's not me, Ed, but it's a solid suggestion. As I recall, the Kurtis chassis were similar to his comp cars, while the Muntzes were built on Ford chassis or something -- true? I would imagine that a real Kurtis would be a pretty lively car for its day.

V8 Larks appeal to me, but more in the vein of "Sure, I'd buy that driver for a coupla grand" rather than a major project. I could like a '53 Stude a lot, too, but my wife hates 'em.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

20. johnod

johnod

very nice.

21. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I'm not mistaken, this is the P1800 that was featured in Hot Rod some years ago. There can't be too many Volvos that colour, with a red interior, those wheels and a '57 T bird hood scoop. The car was built by Bill Snow in Aurora, Ontario, Canada. I saw the car numerous times while under construction, it was powered by a Chev small block crate motor. Beautiful car, Bill was a pro builder, built quite a few nice cars. Sadly, he's no longer with us.

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. Now I have a new list of possible candidates for a future folly. Among the most promising 2-seaters, all presumably V8-powered:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Felix's Aceca-Cobra proposal, even though it's rare and unlikely

[​IMG]
    The real Sunbeam Tiger Le Mans coupe, even more unlikely but bitchin'

[​IMG]
    Nobody mentioned the original Sunbeam Alpine, and it's not a coupe, but it's just so damn pretty. Interestingly, all 4 of the cars above are already V8 engined.

[​IMG]
    Another one that nobody mentioned is the Simca 8 Sport from 1950. Again, very rare, but it's damned pretty and just the right size.

[​IMG]
    ...and Larry's sensible suggestion, (together with the MGB GT) probably the most affordable one of this bunch.

Then again, a slightly larger 4-seater format could include any one of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure that there are many overlooked candidates -- certainly many of the O/T pony cars could fit very well into these criteria -- but this'll keep me pondering for a while.

Oh -- and thanks to the mods for leaving alone this mostly Euro-centric conversation for a while. I hope it was interesting.

23. metalshapes

metalshapes

24. johnod

johnod

Does anyone happen to know what issue this was in?

25. brewster55

brewster55

i dont like to admit it to often, but there are quite a few old volvos that look damn good.

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

No, I hadn't, and it looks very interesting. Thanks for the tip!

27. blackout

blackout

How bout a 59 Acea with 289 and a T-5?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. johnod

johnod

I think the p1800 sportwagons are a good looking car too.

29. Neglected Legacies

Neglected Legacies
    from Nor Cal

30. cavemag

cavemag

Those things were some of the most successful rally cars to come out of the 60's.