Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's interesting in Bakersfield?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CanUFelix, Jul 8, 2011.

1. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

So, there's a guy in Bakersfield who has my parts car with a bunch of valuable parts still on it. He's stopped taking my calls and I'm not prepared to walk away from my parts so my only option is to head up there from LA and try and catch up with him.I know where his place is but if I'm gonna make the trip and try to find him I figured I might as well see what else is going on in Bakersfield. Is there anything car related I should check out? Figured I would make a day of it seeing as I may have to stop by his shop several times before I find him.......

Let me know what you would recommend Bakersfield Hambers

Felix

2. Frank K

Frank K

3. Famoso Drag Strip of course and if you go a little more north there's a great old Ice Cream shop in Hanford called Superior Dairy, been there for like 50 years great peach this time of the year.

4. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

there's also a great old ice cream store in the old part of B-field , just can't remember the name . ask around someone there will know it .

5. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

Check out Buck Owens Crystal Palace (right near the Bakersfield sign that straddles Buck Owens Blvd.). Good live music and great steaks.

6. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Awesome, that's lunch and dinner taken care of, thanks guys. Anything else I should go look at?

7. BAREOOT

BAREOOT
    from CALIFORNIA

Cruise night friday nights at sonic on olive dr.

8. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

If I remember right, that ice cream place is on Eye Street. (The streets go A-B-C-D but then when you get to I, they spell it phonetically.)

Also, go check out Amestoy's bar, which if I remember right has been in business since 1948 continuously. Real old-school place, downtown, of course. When I was there, 13 years ago now, it still had the original green naugahyde (hold the tuck 'n' roll) seats.

Probably lots more cool stuff downtown that I missed. The historic downtown should be pretty sweet.

9. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Also, leave your best shoes at home. I think they still oil the streets to keep the dust down, this time of year.

10. Kiwi Connection, Hot rod shop.

11. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Depending on when you are headed down. There is CHRR @ Famoso Drag Strip in a few months.

12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Theres always the nude beach.

13. trad27

trad27

Dewars? rosemarys? both good old ice cream shops. X2 on sonic on friday nights, where I am headed now...

14. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

I would be more concerned about bail, local atty's and the Kern County sheriff than raceways and ice cream shops as these things sometimes don't end well...

15. It's Dewars. Been there since 1909. Also, hit the Basque food places--Woolgrowers is nice . (heck--Amestoy's is a Basque bar too). Crystal Palace is cool too if you like Country. B-field is hot as balls this time of year though.

An old drive-in stilll survives too--pastramis, burgers, ice cream, anything fried: Andre's on 1419 Brundage Lane. Shitty neighborhood, but OK enough to go to Andre's.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  16. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

It'll be fine, the guys just a flake. But rare parts are just that....and I figured I may as well give it one last chance to go and get them. I'm sick of being ripped off in this wonderful hobby of ours and I'm not letting this guy inherit the things that I spent a lot of time and money tracking down......it's a long story and I'm sick of it. Figured I might as well make a road trip of it so at least if I can't find the bugger my expectations are of a day out seeing new stuff......

17. Times 2 on Kiwi Konnection. Squeak Bell is a great guy. He's got a nice shop, and a nice welding shop where he builds his own frames. Kitty corner from his shop is a gold mine, ask him.

Kiwi Konnection
    925 Bernard Street
    Bakersfield, CA.

If you're going to Bakersfield for hot rod parts, stop in and see him or call before you buy.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  18. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Awesome, didn't realize kiwi connection were in Bakersfield....I'll definately be stopping by....there's a ton of stuff I need for my roadster....

19. DrJ

DrJ

The most interesting thing in Bakersfield is Highway 99, which lets you go either North or South away from there very quickly. :cool:

20. 76formulafiend

76formulafiend

now thats funny i used to live there

21. There's a 1950 Ford pickup that is for sale in the classifieds that I am interested in. If you'd be willing to take a peek at it while you're there and possibly give me your opinion of it's condition?

Flights aren't cheap to Bakersfield...

Scott

22. luvzccr

luvzccr

i took my '58 there a couple years ago when i was in high school. it was nothing but import cars though.. do the hot rods still go there every friday or is it still loaded with the import ricer cars?

bakersfield isnt a very exciting town.. maybe its because im young. as i get older who knows maybe i'll find more fun in some of the little things here.

23. 54BOMB

54BOMB

It wasn't exciting 20 years ago either.

24. Rckt98

Rckt98

I can vouch for Buck Owens for a great nights entertainment & a good meal. Kiwi Konnection is now owned by Dwayne Jones (another Kiwi though).

25. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Dude, your only 2 hours away! If someone was fucking me around I would be on the road rather than asking what to do when you get there. Anyway, If you do have any Luck when you get there then I would suggest celebrating at either Amestoys or the Alley Cat. Good Luck man!

26. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

thats a good question

27. trad27

trad27

There are plenty of old hot rods, customs, and early ford stockers there on friday night. Saturday is when all the mini truckers and imports come out. Although it is kinda hit or miss but on a bad night there is plenty of cars and people to talk to.

28. Kiwi Konnection is Duane's now. Squeak sold it a number of years ago. he still lives across the street though.

29. Yep Sonic was decent even for 100*+ earlier. Some late model crap when I first cruised by at 530ish but later when I returned to chill it was better vintage stuff.-Weeks

Earlier, pick your model A....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  30. zombie

zombie

what, nobody mentioned the okie bowl? great dirt track racing in the dale. a little advise, keep your hand over your beer...

zombie