Register now to get rid of these ads!

Storing a Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott F., Jul 8, 2011.

1. Scott F.

Scott F.

I've searched and found some stuff but had a specific question that I didn't find an answer to...with that out of the way, here goes.
    I bought this complete flathead from a guy a few weeks back. He thought it was a 48 but i'm quite certain it's a 42(no biggie). It was pulled from a running car a year ago and stored in his heated 'man cave' (I hate that term) for the past year. it turns over very freely by hand, just grab the crank pulley and turn it. I taped the water outlets on the heads. He had made a carb block off plate when he had it sandblasted and a plate to block the fuel pump. Should I remove the manifolds and make block offs for the exhaust outlets? Also, there's oil in the pan still, should I drain that out? I plan on oiling down the cylinders every month and turning over by hand when i do.
    BTW, complete engine, ALL accessories, even has the voltage regulator, horn relay and hi lo beam switch and the engine stand for $250. Good deal?

Scott

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. Scott F.

Scott F.

here's a picture.

Attached Files:

3. If it's all there and it turns over it looks like a good deal - based on some prices around here. I picked up a flathead from a '52 COE here in Okie City about a year and a half back and paid about the same thing. It was a locked up "field motor" but when we got it apart the block checked out just fine - now we have a builder! Got the 4 speed tranny too (pretty much useless to us). Got the emergency brake lever which we used in our roadster.

Good Luck!

4. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Are you storing inside?

I wouldn't worry about making plates for the exhaust. Just plug it up to keep critters out.

Oil is good, heck I'd fill it up with some old oil if your not going to use it from a long time (yrs) and you going to rebuild it later.

I think it's a great deal.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

5. Scott F.

Scott F.

Yeah, it will be stored indoors. I wondered if the oil sitting in the pan would become a problem after a while.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

From your description of block-off plates before sanblasting, I gather that engine was blasted and painted while together...if that is a correct inference I would pull at least heads, manifold, and pan and look around...
    Did the guy know to block off the breater near front of pan?? Does the '43 have labyrinthe type oil seal at back that could let in high-velocity sand?? Even if everything was carefully taped, blasting a complete engine scares me!
    Otherwise...oil in pan is not a storage problem, but is likely to come out somewhere when you move the thing.

7. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

You can always change the oil every 1,000 miles. Just kidding.

Bruce I thought the same thing when mentioned of sandblasting. I assumed maybe the intake was removed and then blasted as the engine didn't look blasted. But if the whole engine was sandblasted I agree to dismantle it.

8. Scott F.

Scott F.

Bruce,

It was blasted while assembled. That kind of worried me too. I didn't intend to run it without at the very least having it disassembled and checked over by someone who knows more about it than me. As far as the breather in front, I don't know if he blocked it off or not, I will check. You said it's at the front of the pan? Also, could you elaborate on the question below? I think it's a '42 and what am i looking for to tell if the labyrinthe type oil seal could have or did let in sand?

"Does the '43 have labyrinthe type oil seal at back that could let in high-velocity sand??"

Thanks,
    Scott

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Look for a little stamped bump beside right front of pan...that is the outlet for the venting system. Prewar labyrinthe seals at rear main were a slinger arrangement rather than the more positive rope seal. I would not actually worry about these details if the thing was blasted complete...I would damn well pull off a few things as suggested, wash them thouroughly, and inspect all else...oh, yes, two oil pressure taps at rear of block... I really would tear it down. A set of gaskets is cheap for peace of mind. All that couls wait until close to time of use, doesn't matter for storage.

10. Scott F.

Scott F.

two pics of other side of block. It's so clean you can run your finger over it and it comes off completely clean. Since I'm just storing it long term it would be ok to re-use the current gaskets right? I just want to pull it apart for inspection.

Scott

Attached Files:

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If they come off intact and get washed they should all be fine.

12. barry wny

barry wny

Oil bath should take care of the inlet, I say used oil soaked rag stuffed up the exh pipes. What can oil in the pan hurt? I have a 37 motor I haven't touched in about 8 years, should see how right I am.

13. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

What you want to do is..... pour motorcycle chain oil down the spark plug holes, put it in the corner and call it good.

14. Scott F.

Scott F.

Wrong!:cool: What I want to do is... slide this bad boy between some deuce rails and haul ass around in a bad mo' fo' hot rod!

What I will do however, is as you suggested, oil the cylinders and set it in the corner and maybe make engine noises when i go out to turn it over every so often.:D

15. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

... No doubt! :D

16. Scott F.

Scott F.

Removed the intake this afternoon and found sand. The sand was on top of some semi-dry black crusty sludge. Guess this is getting disassembled and going up to the hot tank before it gets run. Will take off the heads soon enough.