Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Car Show Award for Western NY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob Kozak, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

The Buzzy AWARD
    I will be working with the Buffalo Clutch Artists to begin (Hopefully) an anual memorial award Honoring all past WNY rodders. The award will be named the Buzzy Award after Dwayne (Buzzy) Krause. The inaugural award will presented at this years nostalgia drags at Lancaster draway (DUNN TIRE DRAGWAY).
    (I know of the grievances everyone has about DTRP) The location was chosen because that was Buzzy's home track and the nostalgia event makes sense.
    As of today I have over $1K total of cash and prizes going to the winner of the Buzzy.
    Buzzy and my Dad debuted thier Gremlin Gasser (YES GREMLIN) at the Clutch Artists Autorama in Buffalo in 1972. They won best paint, best engineered and a special award for first time shown.
    The winner of the Buzzy will be the car that best depicts those catigories. (The first time shown deal is a bonus but not a requesit).

The DTRP nostalgia weekend is August 5-6-7. The car show will be Sunday the 7th.

Here is why I am doing this.

Buzzy Krause passed in 2007. The Buzz I knew was quiet and reserved but always willing to help.

I knew Buzz, or should I say Buzz knew me since I was born; he used to change my diapers!

Buzz never had any kids of his own but as a kid I always liked being around him. Being partners with my Dad (Rich Kozak) Buzz was kinda forced into a semi-parental role when ever my brothers and I would be a the track or go to Buzz's parents house, where the Gremlin was stored and worked on.

Buzzy was always patient with me and my brothers and never short. He would explain things to me when I asked questions and even waited on the return road patiently as me and my brothers fought over who would sit next to him in the Gremlin on the return to the pits after a run.

Buzz, my Dad and the Gremlin made a lasting impression on me that still has a srong hold.
    When Buzz passed he didn't want any attention. The quiet reserved man asked for no funeral.

I can rationalize in my mind that Buzz didn't want to be a burden or cause pain to anyone but I can not let the memory of him die. When my Dad told me of Buzzy's descion; my Dad, told me that Buzz was like a brother to him and without a funeral to honor his life it was almost like he didn't matter, like he never existed.

Fast forward to late 2010. I was invited to the Clutch Artists Club house and noticed that while Buzz was not a member of the club he was remembered there and honored with his name on their "in memory of" board. I knew of the Clutch Artists as a little kid. They were the shit!

I'm not sure if it's that my memories from childhood make everything seem grander but those shows,first at the armory and later at the convention center were jaw dropping. In recent years I have had the opportunity to go to many car events around the country and very few bring me backto those early Clutch Artist shows.

I hope that in some small way the Buzzy Award will honor Buzz's memory and show the next generation of Rodders what the Clutch Artists are about. Its not all side burns and rolled up jeans. Its the people and the cars!

Rob Kozak

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

Here's the last version of the Gremlin before it was sold.
    [​IMG]

3. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Awsome story Rob ! What a honor it would be to win this award. Nice job ! Been going to the Clutch Artist's event's all my life,one of the oldest if not the oldest car club on the east coast.

4. Rob, I remember Buzz (RIP) racing at Lancaster....
    I just recently ran across a big block gremlin down here that was sitting in the
    back of a race shop. The owner told me it was run with a supercharger before he bought it......could it be Buzz's car? It had the big lip on the roof..
    My first show was at the Clutch Artists show...I got second in the modified street class with a 76 Olds starfire with IMSA body panels.

5. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

The last I heard of the car it was sold to it's third owner about 8-10 years ago. I heard he was from the Rochester, NY area. I haven't heard of it in the last few years.
    I will be updating this thread with news about the award in the comming months.

6. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

I saw the old Midnight's Madness last year at Empire Dragway. It's now an unblown, maroon colored bracket car. Nothing like it's glorious past.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's awesome man! What a great way to honor Buzzy and promote Hot Rodding and drag racing.

On a side note, I grew on Bright st. just down the road off of William where the Clutch Artists had or have their shop. Even the smell of the Darling Co. across the street couldn't keep me from trying to peek in when my father drove past. He would always point then out and used to tell me that was THEE club to be in for hot rods. I always thought they were the raddest club.

8. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

The Sponsor list for the Buzzy Award is beginning to grow.
    Recent additions are Pro Modified Racer Mike Janis' Jan-Cen Motorsports and Bob Bode's NHRA Nitro Funny Car Crew Chief Walt Pryzbl's PRZ technologies.

9. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

Momentum keeps growing for the "Buzzy". I was just at Stahu and Sons in CheektaWarsaw, NY and spread the word. Some great stories about Buzzy came up an several guys took handouts to start getting the word out.
    By the way, Darryl, Thank You!!!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  10. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

Here's a pic of the gremlin a few months after they won the awards at the Clutch Artists' Autorama With Paul Zgoda as the driver. Buzzy got his license later.

[​IMG]

11. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Thats a great story!

12. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

13. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

I had a web page built for the award.
    The Clutch Artists will soon have their site linking to it.
    The cars pictured are cars that Buzzy worked on. There are many more but those were the ones I had pics of handy.
    http://www.competitiondesigns.com/kozak/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  14. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

15. KILLER KEN

KILLER KEN
    from PENFIELD

Heres a shot from the 75' Gold cup Race at Empire Dragway. The car still runs at Empire every once and a while. He repainted it all dark Green. The last time I saw him there I put the posted Picture in the seat of the car for him. Always loved the way this car looked.

Attached Files:

• 2330.jpg
      2330.jpg
      File size:
      441.6 KB
      Views:
  16. KILLER KEN

KILLER KEN
    from PENFIELD

17. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

Ken,
    I know of he Gasser Racing Series and will be at a few but this is more of a car show deal right now.
    Please spread the word!!

18. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

I am happy to announce Emerling Ford as a recent addition to the growing list of Sponsors for the Buzzy Award!

19. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

One month away!!!!!!

20. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

Buffalo Clutch is a new sponsor.