Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heads up fella's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corncobcoupe, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Keep

Keep

Good news. I do not buy a lot of stuff from the classifieds here as shipping to Ontario is a killer. One of the items I did buy turned out to be junk and now the seller has been banned.

Can you do this on the GJ site as well? :)

2. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

Perfect analogy-the guy who constantly comes into your shop-uses your drill press, uses your band saw, picks through you hardware stash, but never brings a coffee or even offers a couple bucks for food for the shop cat. I sold cars for years, and I love to read adds for cars and parts. My expertise regarding this site is limited, so I post when I have something to say. The HAMB has been a great resource and I've learned so much from other member's posts in the last year that I joined the Alliance last week. If this site isn't worth a dollar a week, what is? I don't have a problem with someone posting a lot of for sale adds, but I do have a problem with them if they don't appreciate the scope and the effort that's gone into the HAMB. Maybe they shouldn't be banned, but put in some kind HAMB stocks and humiliated publicly for a period, say a week? Screw political correctness.

Attached Files:

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now THAT, my friends is it in a NUTSHELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I hope all you Moderators never feel unappreciated, because you're all VERY MUCH appreciated!

Thank you all

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this is a change that is long overdue.

saw one of these annoying pricks just the other day in the classifieds... must have just bumped all his free ads right before I went there. half the page was his junk for sale and nothing on the main board.

6. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

7. And so this begs the question, why not redo the classifieds to be an alternative to **** ?

Seems to me that if there are a few guys that feel the HAMB gets plenty of traffic regarding guys wanting to buy and sell items, why not charge a listing fee for sale items?

Like a buck a listing or something, makes sense to me but then I'm an odd one.

:D

8. rgaller

rgaller

Actually, that analogy isn't quite right. In his analogy, there is only *one* person benefiting (the person using the garage/borrowing the tools). In the case of what's happening on the HAMB classifieds, there are *two* parties benefiting (the person selling the product, and the person buying the product). With all that said, rules are rules.

9. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

This does make perfect sense, however on another board I frequent, they did this exact same thing and the classifieds dried up pretty quickly. its a double edged sword, on one hand it would benefit the Hamb with every part sold, but even at a buck people will not want to list parts (I know it sounds crazy) so there will be less parts available to those looking.

Regardless, I love the new rule

10. banditomerc

banditomerc

at times one must be blunt!good move......fiftysome year olds approve.

11. Or how about alliance members only are allowed to post to the classifieds, that way Ryan has gotten a few bucks towards the server bill! Sadly i had to let mine expire till i sell a car as not having a job puts the kibosh on non essential things. I was a mod on a bike site and this very same thing would annoy the hell out of me, but the owner said it was OK as they were giving us first shot at parts but most of the parts i could find on e-bay from the same guys!

12. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Thanks!!!!.....Glad to see that finally happen...

13. though i don't have thousands of posts under my belt, I love this place and have taken a wealth of education from it. God bless Ryan and the moderators/editors for all their hard work.
    as i'm a member of other boards, I have to say, this is the absolute cleanest and most discliplined.

thanks again group, that was a great move.

14. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Good move to allow only participants in the forums to use the classifieds. I've purchased a number of items from fellow Hambers and I've sold off a few to fund my project.
    Because these are all Hamb friendly parts, it feels like Hambers helping Hambers rather than another Egay. Its my opinion that a listing fee would destroy that.

15. Rooster

Rooster

This is interesting to me because I find myself only able to read and learn these past few years. I'm selling some parts and projects here right now, because I know I can find someone who'll appreciate them more than I can while raising a family these days.

It's been years, but I have won several site auction's and auctioned stuff for the site. If people aren't showing their respect of the amazing opportunities provided here, maybe a new sticky on the sale boards instructing them of proper etiquette of giving something back would suffice.(?)

Point being; Don't grab the broad brush. Some people, like myself, aren't really in a position to participate as wished these days, but our contribution is in passing along the dreams we've had to others who also find this site a mecca of information and possibilities.

I'd admittedly fit the bill of non-participatory currently. But not non-appreciative.

16. HotRod33

HotRod33

A big thanks to all the moderators here..... you guys donate alot of time so we can enjoy the board here....... Thanks

17. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Thanks to the Moderators we have a decent place to hide from the non understanding uncool world of all things stock and this side of '63.
    I think its a good call.

18. busguy71

busguy71

who cares, let em hock their shit if they want, it dont bother me none. Youre just limiting the amount of cool stuff for US to buy!

19. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Agreed. Pm'd you something on those lines.

20. They are the ones missing out. I made the mistake of sending $ to one of those types and it was the only time I've ever been screwed online, including EBay.

21. williebill

williebill

I,too,appreciate all the time and work you guys put into the HAMB.When I read this,2 screen names came to mind immediately,sure there's others just as guilty..
    Just please don't ban the guys who suck at building cars...if you do that,I'm a dead man

22. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

I've sold lots of extra stuff here on the HAMB to lots of good people. It helps pay my bills and finance my projects. If the part or vehicle is not "HAMB friendly" then it goes to other boards or auction sites.

I only post to ask a question, or answer one that is within my experience.

"I made the mistake of sending $ to one of those types and it was the only time I've ever been screwed online, including EBay."

There are always those who prey on naive buyers. I would recommend you use Pay Pal or Credit cards only.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  23. 55kustomzombie

55kustomzombie

So true I have spend hours at a time just reading and reading post, now I'll admit I have not posted much on the main board, but I'm defenetly not here just to sell things... I think most if my posting is on the social groups here.

It's amazing how knowledgeable some of you guys are!!! I cannot count how many times I have been stuck and you guys have help me:).

24. mustang552

mustang552
    BANNED

i reall enjoy the comrodary(?), and the help I have gotton from THE HAMB>Please don;t kick me out!!!
    Does the guy that runs THE HAMB livein DesMoines?? Thought I saw that somewhere.

25. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

No.

26. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

good call ! this is a great site, and thanks for all your hard work guys!!!

27. tathataboy

tathataboy
    from Olathe, KS

I don't post much, but I certainly love to check in every once in a while and see what the crazy metal gods are up to. I don't post much, cuz I barely know my ass from a hole in the muffler. However, I love me some old metal, and am constantly amazed- and made hopeful- by what I see here.

Do what ya gotta.

28. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Cool.............no more "Chew & Screw!"
    Thanks Cob.

29. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I told a Seller that I'd take an item today, then later (due to this post) had a suspicion that he was ONLY a Seller. I checked and I was correct - he's been registered on HAMB for a year or so and has 82 posts - all in the classifieds except one I found. I emailed him back and told him I was backing out and the reason was that I didn't want HAMB to just be another classified site, that I wanted to buy my parts from contributing members.

I feel bad that I hadn't checked him out before saying I'd take it and welshing on the deal, but I feel it's more important to keep the HAMB as "pure" as possible.

30. Ebert

Ebert

GREAT move....