Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 200-6 Cam timing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by parkwood60, Jul 8, 2011.

1. parkwood60

parkwood60

Hey folks,

I've been busy with old dirt bikes lately, so I haven't been on here, but I am now building a car for 24 hours of Lemons racing so I have car questions. though this isn't strictly traditional rod related, I am running a 1979 Ford with the long suffering little six that first appeared in the Falcons and Mustangs. According to the "Falcon 6 Performance" book the 70s smog 200 had the cam timing advanced by the factory for better bottom end and less pollution. Anyone know if this was done with something as simple as a timing chain set with the dowel hole offset a little? I am limited by the budget constraints of the race rules, but even more by the balance of my bank account.

I know next to nothing about Fords, though I have swapped out one of these in a first get Econoline a few years ago.

I am also still looking to fill a few slots for driving in the race at Button Willow in December (That's near Bakersfield, CA)

Woody

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I don't know, but I'm curious.

Also, after you kill the Ford, can I have the head? ;)

-Dave

3. squirrel

squirrel

quick check of rockauto.com shows the same timing set listed for a 65 falcon 200, and a 79 fairmont 200. So you might be barking up a dead end.

4. parkwood60

parkwood60

These heads aren't all that hard to come by. There were 2 or more other Fox bodied Ford cars in the junk yard here recently with this motor in it. I'm planning on going on half price weekend later this year and getting some spare parts. A head. 2 more carbs. Whatever else I can find. If and when I break it it will get fixed and get either 3 1bbls or a junkyard EFI set up. But I have to break it first, and that's going to be fun.

Its not fast, but as long as it will do 0-60 in 10 seconds or so, and keep running all day we should be okay. They car is only going to weigh about 2500lbs.

Woody

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I can't remember the last time I saw a 1970s or '80s car in a junkyard. :(

But I like your plan for fixing it! :)

-Dave

6. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

If my memory serves me correct, the ignition timing was controlled by the duraspark ignition.
    I know that it was retarded on starting and then advanced when running.
    The cam timing thing, I have never heard of.
    Robert.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I believe the cam was actually retarded, but don't know if it was in the chain..The big sixes it was in the cam gear..

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I know that cam timing was something almost universally played with due to smog during the seventies. I have been doing allot with these engines again lately and I have heard nothing of the sort with these little guys. you might try fordsix.com and check the achives for any info. They seem to be the best with these engines.

9. FrankBoss

FrankBoss

I use a Timing set from 69 model 200 on those little six's... and the 302's.
    Ford retarded the timing at the cam (gear/sprocket) for emission reasons and it sucked.
    but the pre 70's timing set makes them a little more pep.

FrankBoss

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

The 24 hours of Lemons is hilarious. Good luck