Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage lock ring wheels scare the &*^%&$ outta me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terrafirma66, Jul 8, 2011.

1. terrafirma66

terrafirma66
    from tampa fla

I have them on my 47 wd 21, heck I don't even want to take the things off they scare me so. So does anyone have experience with this kind of wheel and doe ANYONE know where I can get dually wheels sans the lock ring setup with a vintage look to them? All i can find is bling bling models for the next country boy crack dealer wannabe. Thanks everyone.

2. squirrel

squirrel

might help if you explain to us all that a WD 21 is a dodge 1 ton with big six lug wheels?

Might try a 1960s motorhome?

3. bobfrev

bobfrev

Even back in the day they were know as widow makers, by all means find some other type of wheel and tire combos that will work and give you the look you want, No tire shop or even a good truck shop will touch them either, BE VERY VERY CAREFUL,,,,,,,

4. or 60s International!

5. RichG

RichG

As far as I know most tire shops won't mount tires on split rims anymore.

Is the six lug pattern on your truck the same as Chevy/Toyota?

6. F&J

F&J

There were some pics of maybe 36-37 Ford 1.5 super nice rod-restoration in the last two months. From northern Ca. He had Stockton make the new wheels to take smaller tires, but looking like a dually wheel.

If nobody can remember that thread, I will try to find it, might take a while

7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Gee what a bunch of fraidy cats. Remember knowledge is power ! There are several styles of split rims and most of them are not more dangerous than opening up a beer if you have a clue of what you are doing. And yes a shop that works on truck tires will still work on most styles of split rims.

8. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Yes. And according to OSHA, they have safety inflation racks to roll them or any large and potentially dangerous wheel into to air up, just in case you're a beginner who doesn't know the clues.
    Those huge Alcoa Budd styles can blow too if fatigued, and not just Daytons either!

FYI: Here at this camp, we wrap log chain at several points around the periphery of any tire and split rim, and use a clamp on chuck before inflating and popping them out. We just stand back, cut on the air, and watch the action to see if we did it correctly instead of with our head or upper body hanging over it.
    Tom S. in Tn. (worn out, but still intact)

9. George

George

Saw a vid where they used a small charge to blow one bolt, they'd parked a Pinto over the wheel, & it blew the Pinto off the ground.

10. terrafirma66

terrafirma66
    from tampa fla

thanks guys will look into the info, the proiject continues

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

Try 98 Auto Recyclers yard in Brooksville.They have a truck yard and car yard and might have what you need.They are in the book,ask for Danny,if they got it he will know.

12. I still fix them for myself nobody else Only. if they are in good condition and you have proper equiptment& now how is it Ok. finding a shop that fixed them isnt gonna happen easily.Some of the military combat wheels where two piece rims that bolted together. My son has those on his 1944 Dodge WC size 16 with 5 lugs. I have two on a 1942 WWII bomb trailer thay are 900-20 with a 6 lug pattern. OldWolf

13. 1932tub

1932tub

Have someone part off the split rim side of the wheel and part off a corresponding part of a conventional rim that is the same diameter and weld them together

14. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Sorry : That won't work as the multi piece wheels do not have a drop center for the tire to fit in as you mount them.

15. F&J

F&J

The key word is "most"

The one wheel that should never be worked on, is the type that looks like 2 halves, locked in the center of the rim. I don't know the term for that style, but it is a widow maker. Last place I worked 25 yrs ago, the tire guy did one outboard dual on a 68 C-50. He aired it up in the saftey cage, put it on the truck, and 100 yards later it blew apart, sending the outer half far, far away. I am 99% sure these were banned, for sale or reuse, at a later time.

16. 1932tub

1932tub

So you could knock off the whole rim and fit another, I have converted 16" international rims to 15" doing this. I realise that the wheels in question are larger dia.

17. Black Primer

Black Primer

When I first started trucking us noobs were given the job of fixing tires. All were multi-piece rims. One guy put one together, (no cage) clipped on the air chuck and walked away. With a hell of a bang, the lock ring blew off and went through the roof of a 24 foot tall building. Yeah, they are dangerous. Be careful.

18. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep F&J that is the style that gave all multi piece rims a bad rap. There is no way to visually confirm things are together correctly ,all by feel.

19. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

20. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

#19;
    Thanx Bob......... I always find reading these safety threads refreshing and a way to relax my already paranoid nerves. :)
    Tom S.