Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gauge Restoration shop????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Walter Lansing, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Walter Lansing

Walter Lansing

looking for some recomendations of a gauge restoration shop. Need a factory set of gauges and clock restored from a 1940 Buick. Thanks for the input.

Walter

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

3. Abbott Instrument Restoration-Portland Or. 503-246-1287

4. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

5. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

I am interested to see the end results also. I have a 40 buick limited that I want to get the gauges reasoned.

6. larryj

larryj
    from Madison AL

Steer clear of United Speedometer in Riverside. They had my gauges and money for 2-1/2 years. Took threats of theft and fraud charges to get my gauges back. I have to get them redone to correct what they screwed up.

7. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

I apprenticed at Abbott Instrument for many years and those Buick sets are difficult. At that time John Wolf was attempting to set up reproductions of the plastic faces. I don't know if he finally did but both are master's of their craft and are fully capable to restore your gauges.

8. Might want to try Classic Instruments in
    Boyne City, MI.

9. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

John wolf is who i always have used and never had any problems. Best customer service out there!

10. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've done several stories with AutoInstruments in Virginia. Top notch restoration (does a lot of work for concours restoration shops and top Mopar restorations) and they also do plastic chrome plating like the OEs did it... real chrome that will carry an electrical charge.
    They also redo clocks.

I've become real good friends with the owner--helluva guy, honest to a fault, and believes one dissatisfied customer is horrible for business, so he works really hard to make sure all his customers are happy.

(276) 647-5550

-Brad

11. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Is this Walter with the Pink GTO???????

-Jason

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

This isn't even my thread but I gotta thank you guys for the tips. I'm having a hell of a time finding gauges that'll fit my '51 F1. Seems everything is too big or too small. Props to the OP for putting this up.

13. FatFndr

FatFndr

Jhon Wolf did the stock gauges for my '36 Ford, excellent work, tested the gauges before I picked them up (I live about 10 miles from his shop). Price was reasonable.

14. Foul

Foul

That's funny, because I sent them a set of gauges more than five years ago and never heard word one from them. After repeated attempts to get them to return the gauges, I ended up buying an NOS set and wrote the first set off. Dissatisfied doesn't begin to describe how I feel about them.

dan

15. Walter Lansing

Walter Lansing

Sure is SQUID!!!!!!!

16. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

17. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

That surprises me... absolutely surprises me.

-Brad

18. Walter Lansing

Walter Lansing

FWIW:

I had never had any dealings with Auto Instruments. I did receive very similar response's to Fouls from two people on another board.

Walter