Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry LaVallee

Gerry LaVallee

Lou Lazzaro-Here's one from 1973, I liked this Valiant

Attached Files:

2. SGP

SGP

Jar....thanks for the info. Jim McClure's Syracuse run would have been with the Sandy McKinnon M3 car that he won 2 titles with @ Beech Ridge. Jim is the only driver to have won a title in all the modern classes(modified, LMS, C Class) @ Beech Ridge was inducted into the Maine Motorsports Hall of Fame this year.
    Regarding the Coutermarshes...Dave & Sam winter in Florida now. A Daughter lives in NH & they bought some land nearby. He may build a shop there at some point. Dave was inducted into the Maine Motorsports Hall of Fame in 2010. He still has his last #61 Cavilier mod stored inside an enclosed trailer. It was turnkey last I knew. The well known pinto mod sits in a clearing nearby, wrecked from its last run...rotting away. The veg mod #16 was restored by Dale Chadbourne, a Wiscasset racer. The former 5 time championship #61 Howard Konkey super has been pulled out of the woods where it sat for many years & is slowly being restored by some former crew members.....hopefully they'll be able to do it. I just recently saw (sigh) the 427 BBC to it...sitting upside down, outside in a junk pile near the old pinto mod. Take care Steve Pellerin

3. Jared71161

Jared71161

Moon Dog, Thanks for looking into it. The memories are somewhat fuzzy, but my first Syracuse Super Dirt Week was 1980 and I didn't attend another until Merv's first win. I remember Jerry Cook and the familiar M3 pinto of McClure rolling out for practice. It was surreal when the mods were out on the track and then the Weld/Balough creation hitting the track prior to everyone throwing their makeshift ground effects to try and catch up. After that everything changed.

Steve, "Sandy McKinnon" wow! I haven't heard that name in forever. Dave in the Maine Motorsports Hall of Fame. No one more deserving. As I said, good people. With all of the traveling that was involved while my father worked for Speedway Scene, I feel very fortunate to have attended so many great races at great facilities.

There is still nothing like the smell of racing fuel and heated rubber mixed with the aroma of track snack bars!

4. BigFeet13

BigFeet13
    BANNED

Don Diffendorf in the 40 at the NYS Fair Labor Day Race, 1974.

Attached Files:

5. ds112

ds112
    from florida

Happy Birthday Neil 84 years young!!!!!!

Attached Files:

6. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Does Neil have a full name? Does Neil have a story? Please understand that a little bit of detail goes a long way ... While everyone on this thread presumably loves Modifieds, not everyone from one region instantly recognizes the faces from another region, or grasps the subtle inside jokes/gossip. Fleshing out these posts helps us all learn a few things ...

7. BigFeet13

BigFeet13
    BANNED

Not too familiar with him, but Neil Truesdell looks to have been a Lancaster regular.

8. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Thanks, John! I only mentioned the need for more info because I have pals in Cali, Florida, and all over who love reading the "back stories" to these posts, just as I do ... And I'm with you, I'm so pleased to have so many of our heroes kicking around. So, Happy Brithday, Neil Truesdell!

9. BigFeet13

BigFeet13
    BANNED

I was familiar with the name (so I googled it). I never got out to Lancaster, but my Dad's friends did a lot, so I heard a few of stories. And a few of the regulars would come out to Oswego for modified events. I do remember Gary Kelly at Oswego though.

10. ds112

ds112
    from florida

Sorry about not posting more info Indybones wasn't realy thinkin about that. I posted it because Neil Truesdell looks at these posts but never posts anything himself .It was just a happy birthday to him from me.
    Neil was a pretty good driver in his day he won the 1960 can-am race at merritville speedway in canada which was a pretty big race back then and also finished 2nd at syracuse one year(not sure what year) driving john clements 409 chevy powered modified.I know he also finised 2nd in points at lancaster a few years and has 5 feature wins there. after 1971 he still raced some in modifieds at ransomville and merritville and did some latemodel racing. He helped my dad out at his auto repair shop and towing business. I grew up around him and to me he is a hero on the track and off.
    Doug

11. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Very cool stuff, DS112 ... The great thing about this thread is that it's both entertaining and informative. I love learning more about these guys, especially those I saw only rarely. Thanks for helping fill us in a bit more on Neil.

12. monksfan

monksfan
    from fonda n.y.

Louie's coupe...what a roach.I remember the 1st turn gang at Fonda(mainly Lapeys fans...Kenny Hanson crew..I was a kid & they would tell me the bubble gum holding that shitbox together was gonna break off tonight...sometimes it would.But at the end of 1976 when the Schwinning Gremlin arrived..well.....the battle for 2nd began.So my Dad would take me to see Louie,& my Lape friends would go see David....our Dads would meet about 1 hour later at the KP(Korner Pub) in Amsterdams West End...I played many games of 8 Ball at midnight in the KP-Fonda was great.

13. BigFeet13

BigFeet13
    BANNED

Happy Birthday Neil!!!!

14. Willie41

Willie41

Hey Roman fan, isn't that your car behind Don Diffendorf in posting 10568

15. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

The white car behind the 40, is Don's teammate, Mike Loescher. Both cars were hauled on the same truck.(post 10568)

16. ParkFan

ParkFan
    from Mass.

Thanks for the clarification Moon Dog. It was a long time ago and the mind gets a bit fuzzy these days!

By the way, I love the Eddie Munster avatar!

ParkFan

17. RomanFan

RomanFan
    from Verona N.Y

Yes it is Willie Ed thompson's #19 it and the Pinto are loaded for the old timers reunion at Oswego speedway tomorrow.If any of you are around it
    starts at 10 am and goes till 4.

18. got a new DVD coming Neil Happy B Day

19. tommyo

tommyo
    from Houston TX

OK guys, I really love this website, but I have the same complaint about it as I did my home site (Lones Star Speedzone), which is simply that you have literally hundreds of great photos posted, and the majority of them are not identified! Great photos, but who are they and when and where were they taken? This drives me nuts, but keep up the great site, we'll take those photos any way we can get them!

20. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

For you "old time" western New York modified fans, here's a link to an aerial shot of the "late, great, Shangri-La Speedway", in Owego NY. This shot was taken shortly before the gravel company exercised their "land rights" and chewed up the track, (from lower left, to right, in the picture)in order to access the gravel underneath.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r0...29114&dir=7.175141417994123&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

RIP.....

21. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

I agree. It seems, at least to me, that this topic started out as pretty much a "regional thing", and most of the fans/posters knew who the various drivers were, therefore identifications weren't all that necessary. However, due to the tremendous fan base of the modifieds, the word spread throughout the land, the east coast primarily, and all of a sudden, the posting of pictures went crazy!

Like you, I thoroughly enjoy viewing the pictures, but as someone who's lived in western New York most of my life, there are a LOT of cars/drivers pictured here that I don't recognize either.....

22. BKHRS

BKHRS

This car finally got driven yesterday, to a local car show, the lack of places that would allow it to run (here on the west coast) have resulted in the ongoing conversion to street legality.

Attached Files:

23. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

tommyo, I agree pictures and places should be identified. Denny Z

24. Dr. John

Dr. John

Sometimes the person who posts the photo has no idea who the driver is or what track it was taken at or what year the image was made -- but they chose to share it with us anyway. And that's a good thing. Would you rather have them not post the photos if they can't ID them? Besides, that's what the experts are for...

25. Dr. John

Dr. John

Need help with this one for a friend. It's Langhorne and obviously no later the '71. Anyone know the driver?
    [​IMG]

26. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Dr John, No I didn't mean to restrict some pictures I just think more could be identified. By all means if it's a neat picture post it. Denny Z

27. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

My own clumsy rule of thumb is that if I see a photo and the posts surrounding it are vague or perhaps even accidentally inaccurate, I do my best to help the process with a post of my own if there's something I know about that particular driver, car, or track. I figure that's the least I can do for this thread, which brings me smiles on an almost daily basis. I see lots of others doing the same thing, which is great. Guys like Dr. John are pretty sharp with their history, and of course my friend Denny Z. wrote some Modified and Sportsman history of his own on his climb toward Indianapolis. Some smart folks around this thread, that's for sure! Thanks, all ...

28. KRASH63

KRASH63
    from MONROE NJ

the 22 is tom greene from bordentown built buy Bob Rossell

29. Tommiekid

Tommiekid
    from New Jersey

Yes..Tom Greene....this car became the Roaring 20 Auto car owned by Jack Wischnick...driven by Tommie Elliott and crew chiefed by Don House

30. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

See what I mean about all the smart folks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.