Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help with shifter conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wenatcheewalt, Feb 12, 2006.

1. wenatcheewalt

wenatcheewalt

To all Hambers with knowledge! I have a 48 Chevy. Three on the tree. I want to put that on the floor, keeping the same tranny. ( Stock for the year)What shifter should I buy? A kit maybe? All help greatly appreciated.
    Wenatcheewalt:confused:

2. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

3. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

If your not in a big hurry and you want a really good trouble free shifter then I'd try to find a Hurst Synco/loc. It's about like a compettiton plus 4 speed shifter but for three speed. If you look at the picture that I attached you can see that they even have stop bolts to limit shifter travel. In my opinion they are alot better shifter that the Hurst Indy. I had an Indy in my truck one time and it was a POS always jamming up.

You can't by 'em new anymore but they are all over ebay and usually cheap, which never hurts! :D May take a while to find one to fit your car, so if you're in a big hurry this may not be the best option for you. If I see one in the next couple of days I'll let you know. Good luck!

[​IMG]

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Try Pinstriper (Sam) at Rocco and Cheaters [SIZE=-1](205) 328-5140 he may have one there for you....
    [/SIZE]

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

1948 is the last of the "selector" type Chev transmissions - in other words, the normal 2 arm shifters won't work. Many years ago, Ansen or Lee's sold a conversion with a modified '49 up shift cover that used a normal shifter.
    So, here's some of your choices :
    '49 up shift cover modified to fit your trans. - this is the easiest way.
    '37 - '47 Chev or GMC truck floor shift 3 speed -Bellhousing and torque tube changes needed.
    '49 up pass. trans ('53-4 best of the bunch, has needle bearings in cluster). Torque tube and mount modification needed.
    '55 up bellhousing, trans, and open driveline - rear axle ratio choices a plus.

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Many years ago, I made a floor shifter for my '46 Chevy out of a factory four speed shifter from a Vega. I used the reverse lockout T handle to operate a cable that controlled the small selector lever on the transmission.

7. G9mickey

G9mickey

I just bought this shifter from off ebay for my 48 Chevy Biz Coupe stock 3 speed. Do you any of you know if it will work?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the discription from ebay: "I have what I believe to be a very old 3 speed Ansen floor shifter. The shifter handle is brass. The shifter appears to work and be all original ( See pictures ). The only negative thing appears to be the spring has been repaired. I don't know what applications this shifter would cover. .............."

8. G9mickey

G9mickey

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No, it won't work on your selector style gearbox. It's like most shifters, and is set up to work on the conventional style three speed with two equal sized shift arms.

10. G9mickey

G9mickey

I wish I had a picture of my gear box. Its at my friends house and I cant remember how it looks/works.

11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Providing it's the original transmission, I know exactly what it looks like and how it works. No normal three speed shifter will operate it. The same basic transmission was used from '49-'54 with a conventional two shift arm side cover. I'm not sure how easy/difficult it is to use the later cover on the '40-'48 box, but it might bear looking into.

12. Dennis D

Dennis D

IIRC, and sixteen is a long, long way from sixty one, I installed a Fenton Shift Star 200 in my 51 Chevy. The levers were attached to the arms on the trans with u-bolts. Does this sound correct? Shifted ok unless you really hammered on it (which 16 year olds never do:)) and then the levers would slip on the arms and it would lock up big time. Also, it had no shift stops and was hell on the syncros. Bought a lot of them old 3 speeds from Smokey's junk yard for 10 bucks back then. 'Bout one every Monday morning as I recall. Dennis D

13. G9mickey

G9mickey

I wonder if I can just swap to a 49 Transmission. if will mount to the frame / bell housing ect..without modifications? it would be easy to swap now that is all out...

14. G9mickey

G9mickey

Is this what the transmission looks like? Which lever does what?
    [​IMG]

15. F&J

F&J

It must be like the 50s bigger GM cars Selector trans,

The small lever does what a normal floor shifter does when you are in neutral, and then move the stick right or left. It moves from the 1-R gate to the 2-3 gate.

The big lever shifts front or back for both of those gates. Bet that sounds impossible, but if you see it work...

That big arm actually moves inwards and outwards to get to both gates. The small lever helps it move in and out.

Pic is from when I was building a shifter.

Attached Files:

16. Dennis D

Dennis D

I posted earlier about putting the Fenton shifter in my 51. This looks like a different transmission than the one in my car. Seems like I remember the couple of guys in high school that had the 47-48 chevy's that they wouldn't shift if the car wasn't running. Vacuum assist? Please help this old fart remember......Dennis D

17. G9mickey

G9mickey

Yes I've been told it's vacuum assist. I don't know for sure because I've never driven the car. But I believe it is. Also I don't know if the picture I posted is from a 48 the guy on eBay that I stole it from says it is. But if anyone wants to confirm ???

18. hey walt what side of the river are you on? are ya gonna be at the confluence show this weekend?:D

19. F&J

F&J

I worked on a nice 48 fastback for a local guy about 3 years ago. It was not shifting right and I think I just made some simple adjustment.

I am pretty sure it also did not shift with the engine off, due to vacuum assist.

20. G9mickey

G9mickey

Ive also found this picture of a "48 Chevy Tranny"... I wonder which one it correct.. the one shown above or this one... because they are definately different. This one looks pretty strange.

[​IMG]

21. F&J

F&J

The only difference that I see is the different shift lever, a slight change in the trans mount boss, and...it's upside down.

Wondering why you are looking for pics?

22. G9mickey

G9mickey

Primarily I want to see if I can make the shifter I posted above work with my transmission. But since my tranny is far away from me at the moment and I don't have picture of it, I'm trying to find an acuate picture of what I have. Does this make sence?

23. F&J

F&J

Yes, but unless someone put a "normal shifting" later chev trans into your car, then you cannot use the shifter you have.

If you wanted to make a shifter, you could use some parts from the one you have. Like the handle and one rod link. Then a bunch of work and engineering to make it work.

The problem with just looking at those two trans pics, is that there are two levers, kind of like a normal 3sd would have. However, those levers do not work like a normal 3sp. You can make your shifter fit those 2 levers, but it just wont work at all.

24. G9mickey

G9mickey

Cool thanks. I am capable to do the major mods if I have to or maybe I can take a swap out a later model cover with different levers (if possible). I guess I'm just going to have to throw it on the bench and start messing with it.

25. Cost me 2nd gear in my 57 Chevy Conv, in 1969.