Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good electric fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pilelish, Jul 7, 2011.

1. I have a new fuel pump on my 34 with flatmotor, it is really LOUD and Clack Clack, never stops making noise, covered it with Eastwood sound skin still way too loud.
    Anyone have info on reliable quiet electric fuel pumps or resources,
    I'm used to it claking and then tick tick this thing is way too loud.
    any ideas appreciated.

2. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

My boss has a couple he bought from Mr. Gasket. they are quiet..
    GMC Bubba has some pumps that are Quiet, Pm him and ask him where he gets his. I have one on my Hemi and you can't hear them run...

3. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I use a Carter 12 v electric fuel pump on my flathead and it works great and is fairly quite. The hot rod company sells it and he is an alliance member

4. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Carter for me too they had it in stock at my local NAPA packaged under there Echlin brand

5. mrpowderkeg

mrpowderkeg

Mallory pumps are quiet compared to many others, I've been running a comp 250 on my street/strip car for 5 years, lots of miles and drag racing, no problems.

6. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I had a newer black composite Facet Posi-Flo (4-7 psi) on my flathead with 2 97s, and it was too loud. When I took it off, I noticed that the check valve was not sealing very well, so it was constantly pumping. I bought a low pressure Facet Cube from the parts store (2-3.5 psi, cheap, available, quick) to set my floats and regulator), planning to replace it later with a Stewart Warner pump I have. The Cube starts off with a little noise, but it has a working (for now) internal check valve, and after a minute or so becomes almost silent. It actually produces about 1-2.5 psi, so I've left in on and had no problems in 400 miles. Time will tell.

7. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run a Facet Cube pump also. Very quiet. It has about 1000 miles on it and so far so good.

8. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

9. Is there a fuel pump off a late model I could use? My local Pull-a-Part is full of decent late model stuff.

I need one for a carbureted 305. Nothing fancy.

JH

10. Another vote for the Carter here.

11. George/Maine

George/Maine

Beleive it or not.I bought a 12 volt pump from Napa put it on and worked but was very noisy drove to car little for first time.The next day it was very quite but was working ok.I looked down at my volt meter and was only 12 volts.alt quit.
    So if its noisy disconect alt and see if its that.

12. 51custom

51custom

Been using Carter since the 60's it gets my vote....

13. R Pope

R Pope

Carter gets my vote too. They came stock on Ford cabover trucks in the '60's, lots still running the original units.
    Bendix made a good pulse type, but they haven't been available for years.
    Holleys are crap. Had a new one that ran till I backed out of the shop. Had to push it back in to change the damned thing. The parts store guy just about fired the new guy that sold me that POS, he was going to send the whole shipment back. The Carter was a few bucks more, and I had to put a pressure regulator in the line, but that was eight or ten years ago and it still works fine.

14. Guys, I have a straight 8, 263 and was thinking of running the Facet Posi Flo Fuel Pump on the thing. I have noticed that there are a couple of different models, the main difference being one runs at 1.5 to 4 psi and the other from 4 to 7 psi.
    I guess the first one is the better option?

15. Run a 1/4" return line, that should quiet it down and help it run better...

16. aaggie

aaggie

I don't think you will find a pump at the local pull a part. The newer cars are fuel injected with the pump inside the gas tank. Too high pressure for a carb.

17. Yes run a by-pass regulator, and a return line same size as the feed, rubber mount the pump, and I am trying short flex lines in/out of pump to isolate it more. Oh and maybe a gear rotor style pump.